Not Engaged Yet

Tell me what to expect...

So I was supposed to get my IUD next Monday, but I started my period today, so I called & got an opening for 1030 tomorrow morning. Which - YAY - I can just get it over with, since I've been waiting for it since like October. However, now I need to mentally prepare myself. And I'm nervous.

So what can I expect in getting this little thing shoved up my hoo-ha?? I know it's supposed to be worse for those who haven't had kids. So tell me the truth, I can handle it.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Tell me what to expect...

• Hmmm, I don't know if my reaction was 'normal'. The doctor came back in to see me which must mean I had a pretty bad reaction.

Anyway, for the actual insertion the worst part is when they measure your uterus to ensure the IUD will fit properly. After that you don't feel the actual insertion.

I had crazy cramps afterwards, felt incredibly nauseous and got ridiculously pale. The nurse kept me for almost 2 hours to make sure I was okay. I definitely would not have been able to drive. My body had basically adjusted completely within a week.

From anyone else I've spoken to my reaction has been the worst I've heard. So chances are you won't have the same issues as me at all.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

• I've never gotten one, but one of my best friends did. She had what felt like contractions all day, as well as nausea all day. Not very fun, but she said it was only one day and then she didn't have to worry about any b/c so it was worth it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you can, take Advil before your appointment. It will hurt. I had mine after I had DD and it hurt pretty bad. There will be a lot of cramping afterwards. Mine lasted for a couple days, but got better as time went on. I also spotted for about a week after if I recall.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Bri - hope I haven't freaked you out at all. The IUD has been so worth it!
  • I've had both Mirena and Paragard.

With Paragard, it hurt.  A lot.  I won't tell you how much because I don't want to scare you.  I couldn't walk for a day.  It was awful.

With Mirena, it hurt for about 30 seconds going in.  Then it was uncomfortable for another 5 minutes...then I left and went to work.  NBD.

Either way...Tylenol is your friend.
  • Completely agree tylenol, advil, whatever will definitely be your friend.
  • Ack. Okay.

I'm getting the Mirena... and that sounds like the least painful option. I also HAVE to come to work after, so I hope mine is easy peasy. I can't take ibuprofin, so I'll have to go with Aleve. Lots and lots of Aleve. haha.

Thanks ladies :-)

*******************************************************************************************

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tell-expect?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:7f83c1ba-7d47-4eb4-afba-4c4607188368Post:dfb4ec05-cf0b-456e-9c2a-bc50bc795fc6">Re: Tell me what to expect...</a>:
    [QUOTE]With Mirena, it hurt for about 30 seconds going in.  Then it was uncomfortable for another 5 minutes...then I left and went to work.  NBD. Either way...Tylenol is your friend.
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

This was my experience exactly. It really was not that big of a deal, just some cramping.

• Paragard is the one without any hormones, right?

I'm going to lurk in this thread, because honestly, the only thing stopping me from getting Paragard is the pain of insertion, and the possibility that I would have my period for months.

I am just so over hormonal BC.
  • Yes, Paraguard is the copper one. I have a friend who has one & she really likes it. The good thing about them is that they last 10 years as opposed to 5 for Mirena. But then there's the whole period thing. I like that Mirena almost always stops your period.

My insurance didn't cover the Paraguard, just the Mirena, so my decision was pretty much made for me right there. I don't have a problem with hormones though, I was just sick of taking the pill. I also know I'm not planning on having kids, so I wanted a more long-term option.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tell-expect?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7f83c1ba-7d47-4eb4-afba-4c4607188368Post:51bebc18-858b-4f8e-9965-a6b13b7819d0">Re: Tell me what to expect...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me what to expect... : Correct. FWIW, you might want to do some reading about the hormone levels in Mirena. <strong>I believe they're way lower than even low dose BCP.</strong> I don't experience any of the hormonal crap I had on the pill. Just something to think about.
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

This is true - because the hormones are going right into your uterus, as opposed to having to travel through your bloodstream!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tell-expect?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:7f83c1ba-7d47-4eb4-afba-4c4607188368Post:51bebc18-858b-4f8e-9965-a6b13b7819d0">Re: Tell me what to expect...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me what to expect... : Correct. FWIW, you might want to do some reading about the hormone levels in Mirena. I believe they're way lower than even low dose BCP. I don't experience any of the hormonal crap I had on the pill. Just something to think about.
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

Good to know!

Sorry, Bri, I didn't mean to threadjack.
  • It's okay :-) I'm all for sharing info w/my favorite ladies!

• I'm late, but getting Mirena wasn't bad at all for me. I've never been pregnant, but I'm older than most of you, which helps.

I was given a drug to help make insertion easier. I was also advised to take ibuprofen. Bri, since you can't, take what you can, but start taking it NOW and keep taking it for the next day or two.

I expected my experience to be awful, and it wasn't. I looked at the doctor and went, "That's it?" I did have cramping for the rest of the day, but it was actually from the medicine I was given. I just sat on the couch with a hot pad and took some painkillers, and I was fine.

Good luck! Also, I had a terrible time with standard hormonal BC and wasn't going to try Mirena because of it. But the Mirena does not make me crazy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards