Massachusetts-Boston

Pastry/Dessert Recommendations

We possibly might be using a caterer who doesn't really specialize in pastries (ie. he doesn't have a pastry chef). He will allow us to bring in outside pastries/desserts with only a small charge so we are trying to brainstorm fun/cute ideas of what we can do.

The caterer suggested pies, which I like but we might want to do something else.

I should stress we are not interested in a wedding cake. Ideally I would love to do something like offering 3 or 4 miniture desserts--perhaps a tartlet, mini-whoopie pie, min-cupcake, cannolis etc etc. Does anyone know of any great sweet bakeries that would be able to do something like this?

Any other ideas?

Re: Pastry/Dessert Recommendations

• Where are you getting married, in Boston?  You could try Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry in the North End of Boston.  I would suggest eclairs too.  Yum.
  • What time of year are you getting married? I am getting married in October. I am having wedding cake but I also am considering having cider donuts, chocolate covered strawberries and an ice cream bar. I do like your pie idea though!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Are you a certain heritage? You could do all italian cookies, swedish toast (like biscotti), or just childhood favorites of your FI and you? If your not getting married in boston and near RI. Wrights Farm is known for its homemade desserts.  Oh and my cousin did instead of cake, someone picked it up from Allie's dounuts i believe but it was doughnut cakes. These huge donuts that they chop up and serve. They were so delicious and a different twist. They had more of a rustic twist it was on an apple orchard and the reception was in a barn.
    Hope some of these suggestions may help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • http://www.bakeeatlovebakery.com/othersweettreats.htm

this is who made my cake but she does speciality desserts and cupcakes. Out of providence, but she did go to my venue in Sharon.  Bake Eat Love
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kondeitameister did my wedding and they were fabulous!
  • I love Cakes for Occasions in Danvers and they have great pastries and mini-pastries.  They have tarts, cupcakes, whoopie-pies etc.

• I was recently at a wedding with a dessert table - mini whoopie pies, cake pops, cupcakes, cookies, chocolate covered strawberries.  Amazing!!  Highly recommend!
  • Bake eat love is amazing. I actually know her (we went to high school and college together) and she does amazing work with great prices. SOme other suggestiosn would be cupcake charlies or if you are in worcester wholly cannolis
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_pastrydessert-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:5c230698-e814-4d29-8f25-6e5ac2f7a0cbPost:9bc15ae1-a44e-4ac8-8703-6260fdc0da2d">Re:Pastry/Dessert Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]What time of year are you getting married? I am getting married in October. I am having wedding cake but I also am considering having cider donuts, chocolate covered strawberries and an ice cream bar. I do like your pie idea though!
    Posted by shannie11[/QUOTE]

I'm getting married in October in Boston (at Cyclorama). We are already thinking of doing a hot cider bar for dessert...maybe with a boozy option :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_pastrydessert-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:5c230698-e814-4d29-8f25-6e5ac2f7a0cbPost:9bcec213-9f9b-4d9d-983c-0e8f25785b88">Re: Pastry/Dessert Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was recently at a wedding with a dessert table - mini whoopie pies, cake pops, cupcakes, cookies, chocolate covered strawberries.  Amazing!!  Highly recommend!
    Posted by Brownbear2013[/QUOTE]

I think this is the direction we are going in if it works out. Mini whoopie pies, maybe mini tarts, cupcakes, smores etc.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_pastrydessert-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:5c230698-e814-4d29-8f25-6e5ac2f7a0cbPost:9bc15ae1-a44e-4ac8-8703-6260fdc0da2d">Re:Pastry/Dessert Recommendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]What time of year are you getting married? I am getting married in October. I am having wedding cake but I also am considering having cider donuts, chocolate covered strawberries and an ice cream bar. I do like your pie idea though!
    Posted by shannie11[/QUOTE]

We originally wanted to do a make your own sundae bar at the reception or rehersal dinner. You would be shocked at how difficult this is apparently! Our caterer doesn't want to do it. At The Lenox (where we are holding our rehersal dinner) they wanted to charge us $17 a person for an ice cream bar! Something about needing to rend a special freezer for the ice cream. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is since I've seen this at just about every Bar/Bat Mitzvah I went to growing up and one wedding recently at the Four Seasons, but I guess it is a bit of a pain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards