Wedding Etiquette Forum

Dog Poll

Let's pretend that there were no rescue dogs and you could get any breed you wanted.  What's the most you would spend and what would be your dog of choice?

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
"This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
Miss
Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
being healthy. blog.

Re: Dog Poll

• I'd spent a bunch of money, like probably close to a grand, for a well bred Golden Retriever. Those dogs are super smart and so sweet.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Butbut I can get any breed I want! My breeds of choice are: Great Dane, Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Rhodesian Ridgeback and Jack Russell Terriers
  • Aww, I really like all dogs. I'm partial to retrievers generally though. I'd probably get another lab.

Although DH would like to train our next dog to hunt and has talked about getting a german shorthaired pointer. That may have to wait a few years until the kids get older and his command tour is finished though, so he has more time.

I love the big bearlike dogs--newfoundlands, great pyrennees, st. bernards, bernese mountain dogs--but I don't live in the proper climate or have quite enough space for one of those. I also have a soft spot for hounds, particularly beagles and basset hounds.
  • Miniature Schnauzer or a Wheaten Terrier. I don't like dog hair, but I love dogs.
  • Oh, and I don't know what I'd spend, around $800 I suppose.
  • Boston Terrier and a Pit Bull.
  • edited February 2010
    English Golden Retriever, $1600

this is what we spent on our very well-bred, show-quality 1/2 English, 1/2 American golden.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2010
    Pug or boston terrier, OR a bugg. Those are the ONLY acceptable bastardized pugs out there. The most I would pay is 1200, but thats how much I paid for my current pug and I would only ever go through the same breeder. I would prefer if my next pug could have the same father as well so he has a similar look/build.
  • I'd spend 1k on another American Eskimo.  We adopted ours for free, but if I had to pay to get another one I would.  He is amazing. 

I love german spitz dogs too.  We met a couple of them a couple years back.  OMG so cute!!

I love mutts too though.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Old English Sheepdog, if I was interested in a lazy, kind of dumb oaf (I think they're ridiculously cute).  But probably an Australian Shepherd.  FI would pick a German Shepherd though.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Big Dogs: Great Dane, I love those dogs or Boxer (which is really a medium dog). And for a smaller dog: Boston Terriers or French Bulldogs.

I have a pom right now, but I don't think I could choose that hair length for another dog. Plus hes so little, I'm afraid to break him.
    image Married and Junk.
  • LOVE Rhodesian Ridgebacks.  I don't know how much money I "would" spend!
  • German Shepard,  without a doubt. We had three of them when I was growing up and they were the most fantastic dogs ever. They cost about the equivalent of 12K each (they were thuper trained guard and attack dogs - South Africa and all...) but I'd pay that to have one like them again.
  • About 1k, max. I'd get either a dachshund, bulldog, or English Mastiff, probably. Or a yellow lab. Maybe a bassett hound.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited February 2010
    Oh yeah Mastiffs, too. A neapolitan mastiff - LOVE. I like big dogs. Although my dad's two dachshunds have grown on me.
  • A Labradoodle.  They're so cuddly and cute.  I love big dogs.  And I'd spend... well, I guess I could only afford $2-300.
  • I'd probably pay between $1,500 - $2,000 for a really well-bred Golden Retriever.  English or American, but I like the lighter variations.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • I couldn't pick just one.

In no particular order: English Bulldog, Pug, Yorkie, Yorkie Poo, Westie, Scottie, mini Schnauzer...

I can't really say a max price; I wouldn't pay $10K or anything, but different breeds have different price points, AND the quality of the pup would come into play. My parents buy from breeders; shame on them. 

When it's time for us to get a dog (we have to build a fence first), I plan to scour pet finder and stalk our shelter for a little scruffy dog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:856635e8-de5e-45fb-9ad8-ef84da487f19Post:1d218772-5741-41d6-a733-a109d4197230">Re: Dog Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]German Shepard,  without a doubt. We had three of them when I was growing up and they were the most fantastic dogs ever. They cost about the equivalent of 12K each (they were thuper trained guard and attack dogs - South Africa and all...) but I'd pay that to have one like them again.
    Posted by alixzafiris[/QUOTE]

It's amazing what dogs are capable of.  I remember my old landlady talking about some dogs she had when her kids were growing up in Africa (I'm not sure where) that would follow her kids any time they went outside. The big reason they did this was b/c the dogs would protect her kids from snakes. I think the only thing Willard (chronic underachiever) could protect me from is squirrels.
  • Gah these server errors are killing me!

I really like Ridgebacks, but again, I think that's one of those areas I'm biased in, being South African and all. An Alsatian would always be my first choice though, followed by an Aussie Shepherd.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:856635e8-de5e-45fb-9ad8-ef84da487f19Post:c128144a-cb9f-4c17-9f20-5b65c0e62ca1">Re: Dog Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog Poll : It's amazing what dogs are capable of.  I remember my old landlady talking about some dogs she had when her kids were growing up in Africa (I'm not sure where) that would follow her kids any time they went outside. The big reason they did this was b/c the dogs would protect her kids from snakes. I think the only thing Willard (chronic underachiever) could protect me from is squirrels.
    Posted by ac_in_dc[/QUOTE]

Yep. They used to follow us everywhere when we were out and about on the property, mostly they were for protection from people breaking onto the property, but they were good at dealing with snakes and baboons too :)
  • Squirrel!

Yeah my dogs are awesome at protecting me from squirrels. *gloats*
  • my expensive dog is a wimp and a lover. he's scared of loud noises. he would just as soon lick an intruder than bite or even bark. *rolling eyes*

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Boxers are my most favorite ever.  I can't believe it's been over a year since we put them down, but I'd get another one as soon as I have the space.
    I'd probably pay around $800 for one.

For anyone that wants a mini-schnauzer, I'll lend you Mia for a week and bet you money you reconsider! Hahaha... she's so HIGH energy! I love her though.

We currently have Mia the mini Schnauzer and Lola the Boston Terrier and I wouldn't trade them for anything.  They're wonderful.  Especially Lola, she's the epitome of a good girl.
  • H and I paid $500 for our Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We've both always wanted one so we got him, and then our next dog(s) will be from a shelter. Corgis are great dogs, they're super smart and have awesome personalities. I wouldn't have paid more than probably $1200, though.
  • Probably a weimaraner or vizsla, I'd pay up to 1k.

• A cavalier king charles spaniel.  I grew up with Springer Spaniels and love them, and these are just tiny beautiful little spaniels.  Love them!  I've seen them anywhere between $600-$2500.  I want a blenheim or a tri-color like these.

Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I've always preferred mutts actually, but I think I'd like a wheaten terrier, australian shepherd or border collie (I would only get a pure bred if I had land for it to run though), american eskimo, or a lhasa apso.  One of these things is not like the others :)

Edit, I also like spaniels, possibly a cavachon. And I have no idea how much I'd pay for any of these, I'm not a fan in general of paying for dogs other than adoption fees, so I have no idea what any of them would be worth if they're well bred.  Definitely not more than $1,000.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • I apologize if this posts twice, I'm having problems up the wazoo with TK today.

KYKate, we had an English Springer when I was growing up and she was so awesome, I loved her to death, but she had so many  health problems I think it's scared me off of all spaniels, especially of the English Springer variety.  Somehow she lived to 15 though--my parents just put her down last summer.  I miss her :(

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I love Aussies. I also love big dogs. Black mouth cur, Anatolian shepherd, boxer, bernese mountain dog, Tibetan mastiff. I also really want a Great Dane and a St. Bernard, but they have really short lifespans.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards