Wedding Etiquette Forum

Miss Universe

I didn't watch the show last night, but the the Q&A from Miss Philippines has been all over the news. While, I guess her answer was a cop out, I feel bad for her because now she's being ridiculed for trying to look like Miss Perfect and/ or a dummy who couldn't answer the question.

I personally wouldn't be able to think of my biggest mistake on the spot, let alone, want to admit it in front of a world-wide audience where everyone has their judgey pants on. It just reminds me of the "what's your biggest weakness and why?" interview question, but a little more personal...
Would you really want to admit your biggest mistake in front of worldwide viewers? And how would you be able to "sugar coat" the mistake by mentioning the lesson you learned? Was Miss Philippines good with her answer or did she just look dumb?

Re: Miss Universe

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_miss-universe-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d687c7f7-559a-4130-84d0-4639a9ed3d08Post:23fb9fa1-e13a-4fbd-8896-951aa7b1b004">Miss Universe</a>:
    [QUOTE]  l... Would you really want to admit your biggest mistake in front of worldwide viewers? And how would you be able to "sugar coat" the mistake by mentioning the lesson you learned? Was Miss Philippines good with her answer or did she just look dumb?
    Posted by TatiMarie[/QUOTE]

I haven't been following this at all, but I think you take the risk of being asked those types of questions when you do something like Miss Universe.  It's very rare that someone getting involved in that will get my sympathy. *shrug*
  • I gotta be honest here: I judge grown women who watch beauty pagaents. I saw a couple FB status updates about it last night, or whenever it was on, and all I could think was "Really? You're watching this? And care enough about it to make a status update?"
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • What did she even say?  This is the first I've heard about it. I didn't even know it was on. 
  • What was the question?

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• There was one that just blew me away. The question was something like "How is unsupervised child internet usage effecting children?" And the girl was like...the internet is an important too. And that was pretty much it.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • That article said that question is what cost her the crown. First of all, Ms. Mexico had it in the bag from the begining. Second, she scored pretty low on the swimsuit and evening gown. The question isn't what did her in.

And judge away LC. I get 6 channels and it was that or news that I had seen earlier in the day or HSN.

"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  •  Cengle, I definitely agree that someone going into that type of setting takes the risk of being judged harcore.

LC, I actually don't know anyone who watches these shows nor have I ever seen a FB status on one.  I am honestly surprised these shows are still around, but I just thought it was interesting hearing the stories on the radio this morning.  I guess I actually feel bad for this girl at how quick other people are to say "what an idiot" but again, it's a risk you take.  Plus, let's be honest, after contestants like Miss "The Iran and stuff" this isn't exactly an intelligence contest...
  • I agree that you expect those kinds of questions at a beauty pageant.

Hell, I expect to be asked those kinds of questions at a freaking job interview. And usually have some kind of answer like, "well, I'm sort of a perfectionist" or "I'm very detail oriented and sometimes I overthink things." Or, "I want to complete everything to the best of my ability and sometimes have trouble designating projects to others."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Meh, I don't judge anyone that watches, but it's not my thing.
    I do, however, judge most of the women that compete in beauty pageants.  I think they're pretty lame all the way around.
  • H actually put it on, I'm guessing for the swimsuit part I'm sure.  We stopped watching after a little bit though so I never saw the question part. 

Bret Michaels though I'm pretty sure was drunk or high though, because he made so many mistakes.  It was really funny though.  And he definitely sounded like a Creepo Filipo with all of his comments about the ladies!

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't get judging them either. It's their 'job' so to speak. Or their hobby. It's not liek they're on toddlers and tiaras and their mom's are making them. Whatever floats their boat really.
  • Brett was hilarious. There were several points where he started a sentence and finished with something totally unrelated.
  • "My greatest mistake was spending $12000 on that dress. In the future I will barter more, or reuse an old gown"

Cool
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards