Wedding Reception Forum

Post Destination Wedding Reception?

My fiance and I are planning a destination wedding. We have decided to leave it open if friends and family want to come along however, we don't think that many people actually make the trip. We were not planning on having a reception after we return due to cost but we are going to send out announcements. Is that appropriate? If so, how should we break it to our family and friends that there won't be a reception?

Re: Post Destination Wedding Reception?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_post-destination-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c73f83e7-5976-4d3b-8510-adabdfd60927Post:038ba7c7-c858-478a-8d1d-cf9df6008422">Post Destination Wedding Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are planning a destination wedding. We have decided to leave it open if friends and family want to come along however, we don't think that many people actually make the trip. We were not planning on having a reception after we return due to cost but we are going to send out announcements. Is that appropriate? If so, how should we break it to our family and friends that there won't be a reception?
    Posted by Raven52202[/QUOTE]

<div>Will there be a reception at the DW? If so, that was the reception.</div>
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    You will need to host something at the DW.  It should probably be something substantial, like a meal, since people will be paying for plane tickets, cars, hotels, gifts, etc.  Do not leave it open for people to come if you are not going to host them properly.  It is rude and gift-grabby.   If you truly don't want to host anything, you elope and don't tell anyone.

You can send out announcement on the day of the wedding telling friends and family that you got married.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • If you'd like people to come with you, send them and invitation and buy them dinner after the ceremony.  If you don't want them to come or don't want to host them, elope and don't invite anyone.  

If you elope, send out announcements after the fact.  There is no expectation that you will host a party after the wedding, so there is no need to break it to anyone that it won't be happening.  If anyone asks, just tell them there won't be a party at home.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards