Chit Chat

General Question-Tipping

I just got my hair done, cut & highlighted.  I always give a $10 tip.  Is that too little of an amount? I just never thought of it being more, but after googling people say they tip like $20! 
What do you ladies tip at the salon? 

Re: General Question-Tipping

• it depends on how my hair is, but usually $10-15
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I do it between 15-20% of the cost of the service.

A quick trim is $17 so I round the check up to $20 so that's about 18%.

When I get my hair glitzed, I tip $15.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I generally tip about 15% of the cost of the service.   If they worked to fit me in (I usually call last-minute) then I will tip more.
    DSC_9275
  • I totally feel awful now! I always tip her $10! What should I do?
  • Well, I guess obviously I will tip her better next time..
    I've been going to her for 2 years :(
  • Hair stylists know that everyone tips differently.  If you feel you can afford it tip her more next time.  
  • Tipping anybody that serves you is standard. If you're fully satisfied I'd say 20 is pretty average.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers THw1PKynnBZ4fVUGLPN1j6BKQ8d6ARbX4jGydYMHvUQ,QezptEgimhvAOeg49lyOshWKDraDzrdno-lHdColcd8
  • 20 percent that is. Idk the little symbol got deleted. I tip everyone the same as I do at restraunts.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers THw1PKynnBZ4fVUGLPN1j6BKQ8d6ARbX4jGydYMHvUQ,QezptEgimhvAOeg49lyOshWKDraDzrdno-lHdColcd8
  • 15-20 percent. If it's someone that has been doing your hair and you trust, then I would go 20 percent for sure.  Just like a restaurant.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_general-question-tipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:42bfab68-4cd6-4558-8843-2f52e5fc33f0Post:3c5ec3df-33c0-40d4-81ac-f232294951ad">Re: General Question-Tipping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I guess obviously I will tip her better next time.. I've been going to her for 2 years :(
    Posted by annamhisle[/QUOTE]

<div>If you're feeling badly about not tipping 'enough' in the past - think about giving her a large tip (i.e. $50-100) at the holidays or a gift card to somewhere she's mentioned she likes.   I usually double tip my hairstylist at my last appointment before Christmas and write 'Merry Christmas' (because I know she is Christian) on the little envelope.</div>
  • LeguLegu member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I pay 30 for my hair, and tip 5 gbp. That possibly is really low... But then, tipping in the UK is totally different to like, the States... Here, a 2 gbp tip is considered pretty good for hairdressing, manicure, anything like that, really. A family of four might spend say, 50 gbp for a meal in a restaurant, in which case, that'd be around 5 gbp for a good meal and friendly staff. We just don't get it like you guys over the water. [gbp Great British Pound, for anyone having a blank moment]
    So, maybe things don't always go as planned... Maybe that's okay. I may be alone for now, but my baby boy is on his way, and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • I am a waitress, so I know how important tipping is.  I always leave at LEAST 20 percent of the cost of the service, typically more depending on what I am getting done.  They know who tips well and they will remember that the next time you need something, not to mention always do an awesome job on your hair. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_general-question-tipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:42bfab68-4cd6-4558-8843-2f52e5fc33f0Post:8c60f4e6-3f0f-47fa-a316-e9c565fd43c1">Re:General QuestionTipping</a>:
    [QUOTE]I pay 30 for my hair, and tip 5 gbp. That possibly is really low... But then, tipping in the UK is totally different to like, the States... Here, a 2 gbp tip is considered pretty good for hairdressing, manicure, anything like that, really. A family of four might spend say, 50 gbp for a meal in a restaurant, in which case, that'd be around 5 gbp for a good meal and friendly staff. We just don't get it like you guys over the water. [gbp Great British Pound, for anyone having a blank moment]
    Posted by Legu[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Legu -- I'm an American living in the UK, and you're right, it is totally different here!  I think the biggest thing to remember in the US is that waiters and waitresses make almost no wage except for what they receive in tips (our national minimum wage doesn't apply to waitstaff), so it really is important to tip generously or else your waiter/waitress won't get paid ANYTHING. Here in the UK I'm pretty sure your waitstaff at least make minimum wage, so any tips they get are just icing on the cake:-)  </div><div>
    </div><div>Having said that, I am pretty sure that hairdresses in the States make at least minimum wage...so I'm not sure why there's a big difference in tipping in the US vs. UK for hairdressers...hmmmm....

</div>
    DSC_9275
  • LeguLegu member
    Avion22 - I'm a pub manager for a big UK chain, so I understand the service industry, and the same as people before have said, I'll often tip on the higher end of the scale, more because I understand how much it lifts staff spirits when a customer has clearly enjoyed themselves. I live right in the middle of the country, where tipping is virtually unheard of [Christmas is a little different, but not by much], and staff don't expect tips at all, but as you rightly say, minimum wage is only the starting point. All our staff start on £6.08, that's around $9.64 USD. Within the first six weeks [provided they complete a simple workbook] they go up to £6.20/$9.83 USD. I don't know how that compares to the States. I guess in terms of hairdressing, it's just a case of typical behaviour. I would say hairdressing is definitely a "service"... States are used to tipping for service, UK are not.
    So, maybe things don't always go as planned... Maybe that's okay. I may be alone for now, but my baby boy is on his way, and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Legu -- the typical American waiter or waitress at a casual family restaraunt probably makes about $2.50/hour (that's about 1.50 gbp/hr) -- or at least that's what people made about 10 years ago...it might be a little bit higher now.  Minimum wage is $7.25/hour.  So yeah, American wait staff make basically nothing.   
    DSC_9275
  • LeguLegu member
    O.O And that's... Legal?? How on earth are people supposed to survive??
  • My salon has percent and amount buttons on the debit/credit machine. I usually just do 15%.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_general-question-tipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:42bfab68-4cd6-4558-8843-2f52e5fc33f0Post:7012b10b-6d4e-44e5-b36f-50f897e3834b">Re:General QuestionTipping</a>:
    [QUOTE]O.O And that's... Legal?? How on earth are people supposed to survive??
    Posted by Legu[/QUOTE]

<div>On their tips.  Which is why tipping servers is such a hot button topic.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_general-question-tipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:42bfab68-4cd6-4558-8843-2f52e5fc33f0Post:7012b10b-6d4e-44e5-b36f-50f897e3834b">Re:General QuestionTipping</a>:
    Posted by Legu[/QUOTE]

<div>Technically if their tips don't put them over the ammount that they would make on minimum wage, their employer is supposed to make up the difference.  I don't know if this actually happens though.   But still, then a wait or waitress would only make minimum wage, which is still not enough for an adult to live on.</div>
    DSC_9275
  • Yaga- I get my hair cut and highlighted in Manhattan and I don't break the bank!  Hair Date on Bowery.  They usually have a deal for like $130 for both (half head of highlights though).  So it's possible :) What borough do you go to? 

I try to always tip at least 18 percent for hair.  The thing that I never know though is if I should tip the hair washer seperately or if the stylist tips them out.  Does anyone know this?
    Posted by Legu[/QUOTE]

<div>There's a provision under the minimum wage law that sets minimum wage for tipped employees at $2.13.  Some states have a higher tipped minimum wage.  (For example, FL was about $5 when I worked there.)  </div><div>
    </div><div>I tip my hair dresser about 50% or more, but only because she's a friend and doesn't charge me full price.  My last highlight and cut was $40.  When I actally pay someone, I tip around 20%.  They do make more than servers, but their overall sales are much lower than a server, because they see less clients.  Their salary is pretty low for someone that has to have a certification and special education, because tips are anticipated.    </div>
  • I used to work as a waitress and I made $5 an hour plus tips, so even though the minimum might be as low as $2, most places do pay more, even though it's still below the minimum wage for non-service industry jobs. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yup, I waited tables at a national "Italian" chain and I made $2.13 an hour plus tips. I was also working in MS, where most companies start you out at the lowest legal limit they can. Some other states (FL was mentioned) start you off a little higher, but still under federal requirements. 

• As a waitress in Rhode Island I make 2.89 an hour.  My paychecks are extremely small, it is the tips that we count on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards