Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Get videographer or Don't?

O.k. here's the deal...
My mother is totally against it, saying it's too much, blah blah.
She also says that I won't ever watch it and it's a waste of money, BUT I think the only reason she feels this way is because her & my father are divorced! SO OF COURSE SHE'S NEVER GONNA WATCH HERS!!!

On a better note, I can afford it. I can pay for it. BUT I run the risk of her finding out & not paying for anything else for the wedding.

What should I do?
HELP please.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Get videographer or Don't?

• edited December 2011
    IMO, it's just going to sit and collect dust. Unless you're not going to have a photographer, I really don't see a point of having a video to go with it as well. If you're worried about the photos getting messed up, or misplaces, you can save them to your computer, flash drive, CD, website (or all of the above because you never know when your computer or website will crash).

If you are not counting on her to fork over a decent amount of money, and you REALLY want a video, then I say go for it. I know you should book in advance, but if it's something you can hold off on then I would, just so she doesn't find out about it too soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Speaking as a bride who did not get a videographer, I regret it.  Even though I'm sure I wouldn't watch it hundreds of times, knowing I can never see my ceremony again even once is painful.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not going to get a videographer because I could not find a place for it in my budget. Instead, we are going to set a video camera up to tape the ceremony because it's just not that important to me, but I don't want to regret not having it. 
  • edited December 2011
    If you can afford it, definitely do it!! Videos these days are not like the ones our parents had...they're not boring or cheesy. We got a 3 minute highlights clip that looks like a professional commercial and makes me cry every time I watch it. We'll also get a an edited 25-30 minute film and I can't WAIT to see it. We hired our videographer 3 weeks before the wedding and it was one of the best decisions we made. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • katheriner89katheriner89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hilary, I see you are from NY. But if you don't mind me asking, what was the price for yours??
    I have a guy that would do ours for $1,400 that's the best price I can find around here, and he's good.

http://www.joshsliffe.com/

I'm so torn in what to do :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My parents watch their wedding video on every anniversary.  It's a different sensation to see yourself in moving pictures and to be able to hear your voice.  Think of how much you'll appreciate that 20 years from now.  As children, we always got a kick out of watching our parents wedding video.  

I made room in our budget.  The one we wanted was $3000, but we talked her down to $1500 because my FI will do the editing himself.  :)

Hope this helps.

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think you will regret not having a video. You can shouw your kids some day...and there are things that happen that just can't be shown well in a photograph.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Being a bride let me tell you the day goes fast and is such a blur. I did not cry at my wedding but I did with the video because there were things I did not remember from just a week earlier and we watch it every anniversary. Please get a video or you will regret it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards