Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Opinions of Flowers

Fake or real? Which is easier to deal with but also cheaper?
I'm trying my best to avoid hiring an actual florist
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Opinions of Flowers

• edited December 2011
    I am personally going with real flowers.  Real flowers can work into any budget.  You can order your own from wholesalers and style them yourself to save money.  I know several girls around here are doing that.

That being said, you can definitely make fake flowers look pretty.  Just make sure you get quality fake flowers. and not cheap ones.  RealTouch flowers are awesome for that!
  • edited December 2011
    I have heard that fake flowers look fake, almost always.

rcpm had a great post about how to take care of your own flowers if you wholesale them.  Perhaps she is lurking and will help out.

Edit: Here it is.  Click here.
    Anniversary

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally would rather see a nice non-floral or candle centerpiece over a  silk flower centerpiece any day.

Renee's DIY floral centerpieces were lovely--very simple yet elegant.

• edited December 2011
    I do know that I would like very nice fake flowers for the bouquets so the girls and myself can keep them without dying and wilting.
    Thank you for the comments so far ladies! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_opinions-of-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6d7fead2-953b-4bf2-95cf-9bb127be61fbPost:7049bb31-edbd-45ed-bb4b-ec773411ac26">Re: Opinions of Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I personally would rather see a nice non-floral or candle centerpiece over a  silk flower centerpiece any day</strong>. Renee's DIY floral centerpieces were lovely--very simple yet elegant.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

I agree, but have seen a couple very pretty fake displays before.  Some that I thought were real... but for that money, you should just buy the real thing.
  • edited December 2011
    I made my bouquets and bouts out of fake flowers. I got the really nice ones from Hobby Lobby (50% off!) I was able to make them any way I wanted. I had them done in July, the wedding isn't until November, but that's one less worry. I'm not doing any floral arrangements on the tables. As a teacher who is paying 100% of the wedding I saved a lot there. Here is a pic....
    This one is mine

MOH

bouts

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Jen6862Jen6862 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why are you trying to avoid hiring a florist? Is it because you think it will be too expensive?

My future sister in law did floating candles for the centerpieces and real flowers for the bouts, coursages and bouquets. You could get a florist to do those to fit your budget. I think real flowers add such a nice touch or you could just use fake flowers for the centerpieces? Lots of options!

Also, look at Briana's wedding photos. Her florist used bunches of carnations for the bouquets--correct me if I'm wrong! and I though they looked stunning and that would be a good way to stay on the lower end of a flower budget.
  • edited December 2011
    You might check with your venue, too.  Cityplace has three separate centerpieces that are free (well, included)  with your booking.  All involve some type of clear vase with water and floating candles, and they were very nice.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_opinions-of-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:6d7fead2-953b-4bf2-95cf-9bb127be61fbPost:6b601447-0f5f-40a1-86ef-2c4af18f273f">Re: Opinions of Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]You might check with your venue, too.  Cityplace has three separate centerpieces that are free (well, included)  with your booking.  All involve some type of clear vase with water and floating candles, and they were very nice.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure our venue would have anything like that since it's the local community center.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_opinions-of-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:6d7fead2-953b-4bf2-95cf-9bb127be61fbPost:c274a3a3-8ec6-4e0d-a945-178852d00a6a">Re: Opinions of Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why are you trying to avoid hiring a florist? Is it because you think it will be too expensive? My future sister in law did floating candles for the centerpieces and real flowers for the bouts, coursages and bouquets. You could get a florist to do those to fit your budget. I think real flowers add such a nice touch or you could just use fake flowers for the centerpieces? Lots of options! Also, look at Briana's wedding photos. Her florist used bunches of carnations for the bouquets--correct me if I'm wrong! and I though they looked stunning and that would be a good way to stay on the lower end of a flower budget.
    Posted by Jen6862[/QUOTE]

My only reason avoiding one is budget to be honest. We don't really have a budget per se, it's just going to be done as we go pretty much. I didn't know how expensive it would be because I have to have peonies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_opinions-of-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:6d7fead2-953b-4bf2-95cf-9bb127be61fbPost:50761184-e236-418d-8c7e-e89ac3d83111">Re: Opinions of Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]I made my bouquets and bouts out of fake flowers. I got the really nice ones from Hobby Lobby (50% off!) I was able to make them any way I wanted. I had them done in July, the wedding isn't until November, but that's one less worry. I'm not doing any floral arrangements on the tables. As a teacher who is paying 100% of the wedding I saved a lot there. Here is a pic.... This one is mine MOH bouts
    Posted by kelijoo[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, those are gorgeous! I will say Hobby Lobby's flowers for sure look better than most places. I went to Garden Ridge today and that was a total bust.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_opinions-of-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6d7fead2-953b-4bf2-95cf-9bb127be61fbPost:0395120a-23d5-402c-9d44-220f2f38a174">Re: Opinions of Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions of Flowers : My only reason avoiding one is budget to be honest. We don't really have a budget per se, it's just going to be done as we go pretty much.<strong> I didn't know how expensive it would be because I have to have peonies.</strong>
    Posted by kay1091[/QUOTE]

You HAVE to have peonies? Your wedding is in March? If so, that is when they are in season so that's good but they will still be very expensive; about $8 a stem. If they are out of season you can be looking at anywhere from $12-$15 a stem.

I never think fake flowers are as pretty as real ones. Even the "good" fakes are notably inferior (IMO) and they can be just as, if not more, expensive than real flowers.

If you want peonies you should really go to a florist. You'd be VERY suprised at how willing most florists are to work within a budget. We were like you and didn't really have a budget per se. I did loads of research and made sure I got the best deals on all my vendors.
  • rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_opinions-of-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6d7fead2-953b-4bf2-95cf-9bb127be61fbPost:9e941f99-6f5c-404f-b473-b5644bd4a123">Re: Opinions of Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do know that I would like very nice fake flowers for the bouquets <strong>so the girls and myself can keep them without dying and wilting</strong>. Thank you for the comments so far ladies! :)
    Posted by kay1091[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be rude here, having been in several weddings myself, trust me your bridesmaids don't want to keep their  bouquets from your wedding. You might want to keep yours but it's not likely that they'll want theirs.

You can get fairly inexpensive, and very pretty, bouquets from a grocery store. We got our bouquets from Tom Thumb for $30 each.

I think you're limiting yourself too much. There are loads of options for beautiful inexpensive real flowers.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_opinions-of-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:6d7fead2-953b-4bf2-95cf-9bb127be61fbPost:81d3b0ff-0500-4062-8932-0c93fe3cf4ec">Re: Opinions of Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions of Flowers : Not trying to be rude here, having been in several weddings myself, trust me your bridesmaids don't want to keep their  bouquets from your wedding. You might want to keep yours but it's not likely that they'll want theirs. You can get fairly inexpensive, and very pretty, bouquets from a grocery store. We got our bouquets from Tom Thumb for $30 each. I think you're limiting yourself too much. There are loads of options for beautiful inexpensive real flowers.
    Posted by rcpm44[/QUOTE]

Well I still have my bouquet from when I was a bridesmaid, and was very frustrated that it's pretty much dead now. That's why I took into consideration if the girls would want to keep them, so I asked, and they expressed that they would want to keep them. I didn't just assume they'd want to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards