South Asian Weddings

We buried Grandpa today.

The memorial service was good. Well, considering. I managed to get through it with minimal crying, at least. The usual stuff - eulogy, memories, songs, prayers,  a forever-long receiving line, goodbyes. Some of the ladies from the church had cookies, punch, and coffee set out in the fellowship hall, and we talked a little more there, making plans for getting to Turkey Creek with the ashes.

Drove up with the family to the church graveyard where Grandma's ashes are buried, between her parents' graves. More memories, more tears. Some irreverent jokes and laughter. My uncle borrowed a vase from a neighboring grave to dig a hole and buried the ashes there (yes, he put it back). Spent a little more time with my great-aunt and her daughter, who live right next door to the church, and then headed home.

We couldn't place the memorial stone there because *technically* they're not buried there (ashes don't count or something), so we're keeping the stone at my house.

So. I'm... here. Grandpa's gone, and I'm sad for that.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: We buried Grandpa today.

• temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Memorial services and funerals are really a good thing.  Of course they're sad, but it really helps to know that you've honored a loved one and properly said goodbye.  I hope you felt that and felt the support of those around you.

I felt a little better after my mom's memorial.  Unfortunately my dad has not yet been able to deal with dispersing the ashes.  It hangs over me, and I think when that's done, I will again feel better.

I want to tell you that "this, too, shall pass," but here I am 7 months later and I can't say things are back to normal.  But it gets less intense, there are fewer sleepless nights, and I can enjoy things again.

Take care!
  • edited December 2011
    I am so sorry Beloved. It sounds like it was a nice memorial to honor your Grandfather though, which I am sure helps. Like Tem said, the service is a good thing and I hope that in time your family finds peace.

ExerciseMilestone
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad your Granpa had a good memorial.  It's a point of closure for all of your family.  May peace prosper always

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards