Not Engaged Yet

Ring and cost

13»

Re: Ring and cost

• For all of you under 25 who are getting married, or are married (exception being this poster). Please dont take my tirade in offense. I have a lot of friends who married at 24 and 25 to people at their own level in life. They married the right way for the right reasons and grew together. Many of them have really great marraiges now that are 5+ years and running. I'm mainly upset here with the children in the middle is all. I am very protective of my own kidlet and would not have put her through a situation like the one being suggested here.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-and-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9556c006-757a-4a8f-a28d-2bd248d489daPost:b4a26768-ca60-4a98-9a5c-68411b063927">Re: Ring and cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]For all of you under 25 who are getting married, or are married (exception being this poster). Please dont take my tirade in offense. I have a lot of friends who married at 24 and 25 to people at their own level in life. They married the right way for the right reasons and grew together. Many of them have really great marraiges now that are 5+ years and running. I'm mainly upset here with the children in the middle is all. I am very protective of my own kidlet and would not have put her through a situation like the one being suggested here.
    Posted by dewingedpixie[/QUOTE]

<div>I think that's the key though.  Being at the same point, or roughly, in your lives.  I think that there are few cases where a father in his 30s and his girlfriend, without kids, in her 20s are in the same place in their lives.</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Am I the only one who wants to see a picture of the ring?

Post a pic, OP. I want to see this ring.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Pixie: None taken! I completely understand where you are coming from in your post.

Peek: Exactly, being at the same (or roughly the same) point your lives sets up the grounds for a more compatable relationship. Throwing children into the mix adds another layer to a relationship that simply cannot be "figured out" in six months...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey livsparks. Welcome to the forums. 

It seems like you have some moral concerns about spending so much on a ring. Not sure if it will be any help, but my thoughts are that the wedding will pass; the onyl thing you'll really keep and use afterward is your ring. You'll wear it for the rest of your life. Maybe that perspective will help settle your thoughts about spending so much.

You might also want to keep that ring in mind and look at some other options, shop around, and if you're still in love with the first ring, go for it. Ultimately, if you can afford the ring, the money doesn't matter. 

You sound to me like you've got your head on straight (dont' worry, they think I'm crazy too) so I'm sure you'll figure out the right ring for you guys. :)
  • <div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;"><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">In Response to <a style="text-decoration:none;font-weight:400;color:#1f1f1f;" href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-and-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9556c006-757a-4a8f-a28d-2bd248d489daPost:891dde85-19d7-4de3-81bd-47dafb26a368">Re: Ring and cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey livsparks. Welcome to the forums.  It seems like you have some moral concerns about spending so much on a ring. Not sure if it will be any help, but my thoughts are that the wedding will pass; the onyl thing you'll really keep and use afterward is your ring. You'll wear it for the rest of your life. Maybe that perspective will help settle your thoughts about spending so much. You might also want to keep that ring in mind and look at some other options, shop around, and if you're still in love with the first ring, go for it. Ultimately, if you can afford the ring, the money doesn't matter.  <strong>You sound to me like you've got your head on straight </strong>(dont' worry, they think I'm crazy too) so I'm sure you'll figure out the right ring for you guys. :)
    Posted by transatlanticpigeon[/QUOTE]

<div>You think that a 24 year old who wants to marry a 32 year old with kids after only 6 months of dating has her head on straight? I'll say this a million times, when there is a relationship that involves children, there is more to it than saying "she loves him and he loves her, it's their choice". Kids need time to adjust too, and I strongly feel that you need to be damn well sure you can be what those kids need before getting married. At this point in time it needs to be less about what she wants and more about what is best for the children.</div><div>
    </div></div></div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-and-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9556c006-757a-4a8f-a28d-2bd248d489daPost:891dde85-19d7-4de3-81bd-47dafb26a368">Re: Ring and cost</a>:
    [QUOTE] You sound to me like you've got your head on straight (dont' worry, they think I'm crazy too) so I'm sure you'll figure out the right ring for you guys. :)
    I thought you got butthurt and left the boards. There's a reason why we celebrate when derping newbs ragequit: you give shitty advice.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-and-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9556c006-757a-4a8f-a28d-2bd248d489daPost:706c1308-f124-4497-af4f-1835faa3c6e5">Re: Ring and cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ring and cost : I thought you got butthurt and left the boards. There's a reason why we celebrate when derping newbs ragequit: you give shitty advice.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

<div>Hi. I'm still here. Didn't ragequit. :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-and-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9556c006-757a-4a8f-a28d-2bd248d489daPost:1c9a9015-3eea-4634-8ef3-30359df2386d">Re: Ring and cost</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ring and cost : Hi. I'm still here. Didn't ragequit. :)

Oh yeah you're the one who got butt hurt about people suggesting you actually meet the guy in person and spend some time with him before you marry him. Just a heads up, if you put details about your life on a public forum people are going to comment on it, whether you want them to or not.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_transatlantic-couples?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:55c10778-d5ec-4e55-ba58-bf863b292a39Post:e0f3c3e6-832c-4ed3-b687-6350b5100d14">Re: Transatlantic couples?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm really new to the knot, but I joined because I've known people who found really kind posters who have helped them through their wedding and relationships difficulties. Maybe they were leaving out the bits where they were belittled and had their questions ignored by unsolicited advice? It is hard to get to know people over the internet. You are all correct. But that goes for my relationship as well as your posting on this forum (as long as we are giving unsolicited advice.) <strong>I normally try to avoid scuffles on the internet, but if this is the kind of help I can expect from the knot, I would like to know so I can spare myself. </strong>I have friends and family for advice on how best to proceed with my relationship, and so does he. I came here for help and advice in different areas. I came here for internet friendship and solidarity and insight into logistics of a wedding, not the legitimacy of my relationship. Thanks :)

For you, yes. So please, spare yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards