Kentucky-Louisville
Options

irish Wedding

My fiance and I are getting married on St. Patricks Day, 2012.  My fiance is part irish.  We are going to have some touches of Ireland in our wedding.  Does anyone have any ideas?  We are starting to plan since we are paying for the wedding ourselves.  We are looking for an outdoor venue for the wedding and an inside location for the reception.  We are also looking for an officant that may know some gaelic or irish traditions.  Any ideas or tips would be appreciated!

Re: irish Wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Your men in the bridal party could wear kilts or perhaps just your groom. Bagpipers are available to play prior to your walk down the aisle or to lead you and your groom out after the ceremony. Select a Celtic knot or clover as artwork for your invitations and stationary. Or use his family's crest.

Perhaps look for a Claddagh ring for your Groom's wedding band. You could have one too. It represents- love, loyalty and friendship- hence the heart/crown/hands shaping the ring.I do have one given to me by my husband. {I am Irish} Just be sure to wear it on your hand facing the right direction. I have a lot of people ask me about mine because the center stone is an emerald. I love it and never take it off. I also have my regular wedding ring set.

Check with the Celtic center for more info. { If you want someone to speak Gaelic, be sure they use correct pronunciation or it will sound like a mess.}

Good luck!
  • Options
    ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, you might want to check with whatever florist you decide on and see if there are "Irish" flowers or leaves.  My FI is Italian and we're using Italian ruscus leaves in many of our floral arrangements. 

And as for your cake, you could always do something Irish there.  For FIs cake, we're having cannolis, an Italian pastry.  Something else to consider!

Good luck!
  • Options
    owlgirlowlgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As for flowers... maybe consider using "bells of Ireland" in your bouquet... adds lovely green to the arrangement!
  • Options
    *Melissa**Melissa* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You may contact a local invitation business that customizes invitations, I do designs, in Louisville. You could for sure use the irish theme
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am also getting married on St. Patrick's Day 2012. Our colors are royal blue and spring green. My fiance designed our wedding invitations and even created a special logo (below) that we are incorporating in our invitations and decorations. We found some great plaid ribbon that is green and blue that we used in some initial wreaths that we are hanging on the doors going into the church and on the pew bows and as a border to plain white table cloth overlays over a royal blue table cloth. To save money on flowers we are having individual cakes as centerpieces instead of one big cake. That way we can have lots of different flavors as well. As far as the ceremony, we are incorporating a Celtic handfasting ceremony. And of course, bagpipes. For the reception, I really didn't want a buffet so our caterer did a small plates menu with 5 irish courses - Guiness Potato soup with Irish brown bread, a bangers and cheddar plate, an apple and bacon salad, fish and chips and corn beef and cabbage. We are also doing Irish/British beers and an Irish coffee station.

• Options

Can you tell me who you are getting to play the bagpipes at your wedding?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards