South Carolina

May vs. October

Hi there,

My fiance and I have found a place to have an outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception in Columbia, SC, but we aren't sure which month we should book.

The only date available in the Spring is May 27th. It's the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and I'm worried that a) it's going to be too hot or potentially rain, b) all the best vendors are already going to be booked, and c) the flight and hotel prices for our out of town guests are going to be higher due to the holiday. Is a wedding on a holiday weekend a good idea (3 day weekend) or is it more of a hassle for our guests?

Then the other date that we are thinking is October 6th. The problem with this is a) it's right smack in the middle of football season, I already know that it's an away game so we're good on traffic but I don't want people focusing on the game instead of our wedding, b) I sort of have my heart set on light pink, grey and white as our colors and that hardly seems like a fall color scheme...although maybe it is, I don't know, but I really want peonies and I'm afraid they'll be out of season in the fall. If I can't do pink I don't really know what color to do I'm not really into the dark bold colors.

I'd appreciate any advice ya'll might have! :)

Re: May vs. October

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting married May 27th. We picked that weekend specifically because we are having a DW and our families said it would be easier for them to come for the wedding that way. It is definitely hot..but rain could happen in May or Oct.
    5/27/12
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having an outdoor wedding to and I picked the end of Sept because the spring can be sooooo finicky on weather. Its more likely to rain or be really hot/cold than in the fall (though tthat's a chance you take either way). As far as football, I wouldn't worry about that. Since you already know its an away game and don't have to worry about traffic I wouldn't care. 99% of women wouldn't miss a wedding for football and won't let their guys either (lol!).

As far as colors, I'm doing brighter vintage colors because I'm not into rusty orange and brown. =P You can do whatever you want as far as colors/theme. Trust me, no one will walk into your reception and think "My God! This isn't fall themed!!!" haha

So I vote fall. =)
  • jencarson1jencarson1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice ladies :)

We ended up going with the May date. My family agreed that it would be easier for everyone with that extra day off. AND now every year when we celebrate our anniversary we can go on a mini vaca since we'll always have a 3 day weekend!!
  • mfordingmfording member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jen what venue are you looking at in Columbia? 

I am an out of town bride and wont get a chance to see my venue until next month!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having our ceremony in the Lace House gardens within the Governor's Mansion and then our reception will be at 701 Whaley. I wanted gardens and my fiance wanted industrial so now we have a bit of both :).  Did you pick your venue already or are you looking at a few different ones? I've seen just about all of them in Columbia if you have any questions, I also have some pics.
  • mfordingmfording member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well we both wanted Garden and southern home.... so we are leaning towards 403 Northlake... I really like Saluda Shoals but I think it would be so much more expensive and hard to plan since they arent all inclusive. 

Did you visit any other places in the area that are all inclusive with gardens?

I love the Lace House gardens! Your wedding will be beautiful. 701 is also a great space... How many people are you expecting and what is your budget range (if I may ask) ?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend looking at The Springdale House & Garden, the woman who owns it is named Cathy and she is the sweetest little thing, I loved her, and it is all inclusive. I didn't go with her because she didn't have the dates I was interested in at the time and I felt like it was too much of a backyard and less of a garden, but it is still very nice for an outdoor wedding and the house and Pavilion are lovely. Also, The Corley Mill House, it is all inclusive and really beautiful, it has a gazebo for the ceremony, I reeeaaallly liked it there but I didn't care for the staff, they weren't very friendly at all and I didn't want to deal with them, but that doesn't mean they won't be friendly to you. Oh and the Springdale you get for the entire day and it has a really cute bridal suite and grooms suite but Corley Mill gives you a set amount of hours because they'll schedule 2 weddings in one day.  Well unfortunately for me I'm having my ceremony at the most expensive venue in Columbia and my reception at the second most expensive venue, so our budget is increasing every second, it's around $20,000 for 150 people. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards