Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

non-traditional cake toppers??

anyone do them??  how'd they go over??

i want to use these bride and groom rubber duckies
http://www.amazon.com/Schylling-RDKGB-Bride-Groom-Duck/dp/B000H692S8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298927080&sr=8-2

i think they're so adorable and they are very, very "us"... reactions from people i've mentioned it to (because they've asked about a cake topper) vary from looking at me like i have 3 heads and have gone mad to thinking it's totally awesome and "us".

just looking to hear from anyone else who went the non-traditional route :)

btw, this would be really the only "non traditional" thing... i mean it's outdoors at a winery in the afternoon, but otherwise it's pretty typical... white dress, wedding party, drinks, food, dancing, etc.

Re: non-traditional cake toppers??

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went non traditional with a funny cake topper of the bride chasing the groom.  We didn't tell many people, but everyone loved it when they saw it. 

Pics are in my bio.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing a penguin bride and groom. It's kind of non traditional but very us
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We are going the bride grabbing the grooms but its in my avatar.... I think they are fun, the guest will like the random curve ball
  • edited December 2011
    We have bride and groom kissing chihuahua's as our topper and paw prints leading up to the top. We are both involoved in dog rescue and it's very fitting for us. Do whatever you feel is you. I'm sure it'll be awesome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_non-traditional-cake-toppers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:632f7ddc-96d0-4b6a-bb59-0badea7ecaf8Post:ba927a25-2260-44d7-b1e1-b361d93420fc">Re: non-traditional cake toppers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing a penguin bride and groom. It's kind of non traditional but very us
    Posted by Miracle520[/QUOTE]

I've been looking for a penguin bride & groom. Do you mind sharing where you found it?
  • edited December 2011
    I love seeing non-traditional cake toppers.  I think it's a great way to throw a little bit of fun into any wedding reception.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We're using belt buckles we've both won competing in rodeos.  Not traditional but very unique and very us.
    ~* Believe in yourself! *~
  • edited December 2011
    Etsy has some very cute penguin toppers that I considered, but didn't get.
  • edited December 2011
    FI loves bulldogs, and I love golden retrievers. I looked ALL over the internet for figurines of these two dogs to use as cake toppers, and couldn't find them anywhere that were the right size or look or weren't excessively expensive! Then when I was in FL visiting family we went to a flea market, and BAM! There they were! Little porcelain dogs for sale, perfect size and perfect look--only a buck each!

So we're going to have two little dogs on top of our cake. My sister thinks it's cute and very personalized to "us". We haven't told anyone else and nobody else has asked so I don't know the general consensus. I don't know if people will really "get it", but I don't really care if they don't lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that's so awesome! oh i feel much better now :)  i think all of these sound great. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a huge South Park fan and when I saw a website where you could have custom SP character toppers made, I had to have it done --

We only got one mildly negative reaction about it not being traditional, but everyone else loved it because it was so "us."

• schnenaschnena member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing custom bobbleheads - so cute and we could make them reflect us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We LOVE Batman, and Superman, so we are looking to get custom toppers of either Superman and Wonderwoman or Batman and Catwoman. I have also thought that I can just get the action figures and add wedding accesories to them. I think personalizing your cake toppers keeps it fresh and fun!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_non-traditional-cake-toppers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:632f7ddc-96d0-4b6a-bb59-0badea7ecaf8Post:bad600f0-6b35-4baa-b895-4636a1d8da1b">Re: non-traditional cake toppers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're using belt buckles we've both won competing in rodeos.  Not traditional but very unique and very us.
    Posted by sbargfrede[/QUOTE]

And hugely awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 62 Made the cut!
    image 58 Are ready to fly with us image 4 Are missing out! image As of August 14th, everyone has finally made up their minds!
  • snurfherdersnurfherder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is big into lego's so my cake topper is a lego replica of the gazebo we are being married under with me and him as little lego bride and groom getting married under it and we will also have all 8 of our BM & GM on the lower tiers of the cake where my cake lady is making fake lego sides to make it look like the middle of the cake is made out of lego's. It's going to be ubber cute and totally different. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards