Military Brides

buying a house

After we get married this march, my dh and I are looking to buy a house. Only thing is he will be in basic training while his parents and i are house hunting. How do i get the paperwork done without him there to sign. Its a house that will be near his parents in mi for when we visit, not to live in permanently. But the houses in the area are so cheap since theres no jobs, but i dont work so it doesnt matter. we will live on base after we pay the house off(within 1-3 months after he finishes ait). Can i fax paperwork? can i sign myself?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: buying a house

• edited December 2011
    myself as in just me. Obviously i will sign for myself :)
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You need a specific POA (power of attorney).
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Stan.  You need to get a specific POA.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually had the same problem, only before we were married.  FI and I bought a house last year, but his name was on the morgage and mine only on the deed.  He was in training so we had to get Power of Attorney for me to sign for him.  Our morgage broker (USAA) got us the right paperwork, and we had to fill it out and get it notarized ( we went to a H&R Block....they always have one on staff) and that was it!   It should not be a problem. 
  • edited December 2011
    You can not sign by yourself. When you close, you both hsve to be there. We both had to be at closing to sign our names for our home. No solo boo, sorry.
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_buying-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:120400d8-8051-4e31-bbfc-4eff8775d585Post:1a91d0a0-8e6e-451a-894c-2e3fa16d5ad1">Re: buying a house</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can not sign by yourself. When you close, you both hsve to be there. We both had to be at closing to sign our names for our home. No solo boo, sorry.
    Posted by joiner521[/QUOTE]

You can get a power of attorney and do things like that alone. EVERYONE involved in the military should have one. I have one that allows me to do pretty much anything in my H's name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards