Moms and Maids

MOH for Destination Wedding

Hi everyone!  My best friend is getting married next summer and she is planning a destination wedding.  My question is, what are the expectations for the MOH?  I am concerned about the cost of the travel, the bridal shower, bachelorette party.  Money is tight for me, but I want to be there for her on her special day.  Has anyone been in this situation, and what should I expect?
Thanks!

Re: MOH for Destination Wedding

• Nothing should be expected of you, other than to show up, wearing the agreed-upon dress and smile for pictures.  However, if you'd like to throw a shower or bachelorette, feel free.  Just know that only people invited to the wedding should be invited to pre-wedding parties. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Ditto Kristen, and don't feel obligated to host any parties or do anything that you can't afford. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moh-for-destination-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:8e7b4875-dbc4-4246-a07c-4f74592d9618Post:57552169-496f-4b0f-8b02-edeffb45badb">MOH for Destination Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone!  My best friend is getting married next summer and she is planning a destination wedding.  My question is, what are the expectations for the MOH?  I am concerned about the cost of the travel, the bridal shower, bachelorette party.  Money is tight for me, but I want to be there for her on her special day.  Has anyone been in this situation, and what should I expect? Thanks!
    Posted by missummer[/QUOTE]

I'd talk to her about her expectations. All you should have to do is show up and wear the dress, but I'm learning from these boards that some brides expect a lot more. Better to iron this all out and make sure you are on the same page to avoid any uncomfortable situations later.
  • My best friend hasn't really said what her expectations are.  She has been pretty low-key about everything, and hasn't even really put much thought into it.  The reason why I am stressing is because I am newly engaged, and having to pay for my own wedding, and with the travel costs of hers, I am trying to figure out a budget to do both, but she isn't really giving me answers about hers.  I am a plan ahead and have every detail kind of girl, so this raises my anxiety! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moh-for-destination-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:8e7b4875-dbc4-4246-a07c-4f74592d9618Post:d81cdf9d-11d4-43e4-a98f-b0de9f5c8bf6">Re: MOH for Destination Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My best friend hasn't really said what her expectations are.  She has been pretty low-key about everything, and hasn't even really put much thought into it.  The reason why I am stressing is because I am newly engaged, and having to pay for my own wedding, and with the travel costs of hers, I am trying to figure out a budget to do both, but she isn't really giving me answers about hers.  I am a plan ahead and have every detail kind of girl, so this raises my anxiety! :)
    Posted by missummer[/QUOTE]

Do you and the bride live in the same city?  What about her other wedding guests?  As far as planning parties, you can do as much or as little as you want.  Does she have other bridesmaids, or is it just you?  Either way, whoever wants to plan a shower/bach party should determine how much they are comfortable spending and start there. Can you accomodate shower guests in your home?  A shower hostess should provide refreshments, but it can be lemonade and sheet cake or apps and wine or anything in between. 

Most importantly though, you should only throw a shower or bachelorette party if it's something you want to do and can afford.  Throwing parties is not at all required! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards