Retro and Vintage Weddings

Nerd + Glamour = Tacky Mess?

Hi, My fiance and I are both Mechanical Engineers and thus super nerds (I'm into gaming, XKCD, chemistry, and things of that nature...He's into complex mathematical equations and an intense thirst for knowledge in math, physics, energy use, etc.) .  I have been dreaming of a 30's/40's glamourous wedding - mermaid gown, men in zoot suits (not the tacky ones), beautiful music, and a speakeasy reception theme (yes there will be a full bar :P ).  What I would love to do is combine the two but I'm having trouble picturing it as anything but a tacky mess.  Does anyone have any ideas??? I'm thinking the printed save-the-dates, invites, and programs (?) are a good place for the nerdy stuff but i dont want people getting the wrong idea and showing up in super mario costumes... Is this idea even possible??? Help!

Re: Nerd + Glamour = Tacky Mess?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_nerd-glamour-tacky-mess?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:667Discussion:c16dc63c-cee9-4c90-9e7e-b1d248537453Post:dd7afadb-f06c-48ab-a1b0-0c0781186a80">Nerd + Glamour = Tacky Mess?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, My fiance and I are both Mechanical Engineers and thus super nerds (I'm into gaming, XKCD, chemistry, and things of that nature...He's into complex mathematical equations and an intense thirst for knowledge in math, physics, energy use, etc.) .  I have been dreaming of a 30's/40's glamourous wedding - mermaid gown, men in zoot suits (not the tacky ones), beautiful music, and a speakeasy reception theme (yes there will be a full bar :P ).  What I would love to do is combine the two but I'm having trouble picturing it as anything but a tacky mess.  Does anyone have any ideas??? I'm thinking the printed save-the-dates, invites, and programs (?) are a good place for the nerdy stuff but i dont want people getting the wrong idea and showing up in super mario costumes... Is this idea even possible??? Help!
    Posted by kcroom12[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Of course you can have an elegant reception with geeky touches.   Table names, grooms cakes, invitations, boutineres are subtle ways to get your geek on without taking away from the glamour of your reception.   One friend used WOW guild colors and a special ribbon to wrap her bouquet that was WOW themed.  If you don't know WOW (and I don't); you wouldn't recognize the theme; but her WOW friends loved it. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_nerd-glamour-tacky-mess?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:667Discussion:c16dc63c-cee9-4c90-9e7e-b1d248537453Post:60a59ac1-323a-439e-946d-5cc4633cc2c0">Re: Nerd + Glamour = Tacky Mess?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Nerd + Glamour = Tacky Mess? : Of course you can have an elegant reception with geeky touches.   Table names, grooms cakes, invitations, boutineres are subtle ways to get your geek on without taking away from the glamour of your reception.   One friend used WOW guild colors and a special ribbon to wrap her bouquet that was WOW themed.  If you don't know WOW (and I don't); you wouldn't recognize the theme; but her WOW friends loved it. 
    Posted by Magdala9[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks! I love the ribbon idea! I know WOW tho never played it.  But this definitely helps:)</div>
  • yeah im goign through similar i think the geeky touches are going to be super personal to me, close friends and the FI , i play a lot of world of warcraft so i will be putting something wow like into my wedding 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_nerd-glamour-tacky-mess?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:667Discussion:c16dc63c-cee9-4c90-9e7e-b1d248537453Post:4c8bd36c-cf52-4622-a118-65c99f933442">Re: Nerd + Glamour = Tacky Mess?</a>:
    [QUOTE]yeah im goign through similar i think the geeky touches are going to be super personal to me, close friends and the FI , i play a lot of world of warcraft so i will be putting something wow like into my wedding 
    Posted by sunnilove[/QUOTE]
    LOL:) so glad i'm not the only one... I definitely figured out that the cake is a GREAT place to express the inner geek and still stay chic - mine will be fairly traditional - flourishes and flowers - but on closer inspection, the flowers will actually be gears (which for some reason fascinate me) and on the "ribbons" around each layer will be different math, thermo, and physics equations:)
  • You may be able to mix a bit of steampunk (gears and whatnot)  into the elegant 30's/40's theme without it being jarring.
  • There is a website called something like the unconventional bride, and other sites of that nature that I just saw the other day advertised on the knot. They had a lot of examples of "nerd" "tech" etc. weddings :
  • edited January 2013
    One really cool idea is instead of using conventional vases for your flower arrangements, use glass chemistry measuring cups, beakers, etc :
  • I discovered that any video game theme sounds classy when done by a string quartet.  Zelda and Mario will be well represented in our very traditional wedding.  Try looking them up on youtube.  I also sent a fun, nerdy Sate the Date, but a very traditional calligraphy-laden invitation.  Since the invitation dictates the dress code, the STD was my place to have fun.  You can definitely mix the two!
    "I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you."image
    July 12, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards