Michigan-Detroit

Valentine's Day

I can't remember if this has been asked yet.

What is everyone doing this year if anything at all?
Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Valentine's Day

• edited December 2011
    Working!!  Stupid jobs!  LOL.

We might try to go to a nice dinner once we get out though.
  • edited December 2011
    Probably the same thing we've done every year. Nothing.

Neither of us think that hallmark holidays are worth celebrating. We'd rather go out to a nice dinner on a random day when every restaurant isn't packed.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    nothing. my son't birthday party is on 2/13..but FI has been hinting that he wants us to get a room somewhere..just for the heck of it.
  • Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Erin.  We choose to not deal with the massive crowds on that day...  I will try to cook dinner for us, but we definitely don't go out of our way.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My parents never celebrated it even before they were married, so I was raised not thinking V-day was a big deal at all. FI did mention casually if I wanted to do anything but I told him I have no expectations, but after a weird conversation like that who knows what we're doing!

This may be TMI but my philosophy was that V-day was almost exclusively for ladies' enjoyment, so if we ever celebrated it, we'd have to celebrate 3/14 "Steak and a BJ day" hahaha!
  • edited December 2011

I have Monday off for work so we are going down to an indoor water park resort outside Columbus for the weekend.  We are so excited.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to Chicago! I'm so excited! I haven't been there as an adult. FI got us a room on Saturday night at the Intercontinental (5 star hotel!) with his hotel points. We are taking the train there from Ann Arbor. We are also getting a City Pass which includes admission to the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and the John Hancock Observatory. Can't wait!!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_valentines-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:8a65416a-fc77-4285-a9f4-6e72e22c2c5bPost:9d984a19-4df0-4afe-944e-457145ce7863">Re: Valentine's Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents never celebrated it even before they were married, so I was raised not thinking V-day was a big deal at all. FI did mention casually if I wanted to do anything but I told him I have no expectations, but after a weird conversation like that who knows what we're doing! This may be TMI but my philosophy was that V-day was almost exclusively for ladies' enjoyment, so if we ever celebrated it, we'd have to celebrate 3/14 "Steak and a BJ day" hahaha!
    Posted by k-nem[/QUOTE]

Haha I love it!  I think guys want it to be steak and bj day everyday!

We aren't doing anything either.  We decided this year we aren't exchanging gifts for anythng except the wedding to try to save some money. 
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • catstoy73catstoy73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not a thing. We don't celebrate at all. The only time we did was when we were first dating (he felt he should do something since we had only been together for 5 months). Now we just stay home, have dinner and maybe we'll rent a movie.
  • sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I will be celebrating Valentine's Day by going to the John Mayer concert on the 12th! I can't freaking wait either!

We might go out to eat or something on Saturday. We don't make big plans. I'd rather just order pizza and watch Bad Girls Club at home lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_valentines-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:8a65416a-fc77-4285-a9f4-6e72e22c2c5bPost:74bb7b54-1e5f-4c96-8725-5dae73ec6688">Re: Valentine's Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to Chicago! I'm so excited! I haven't been there as an adult. FI got us a room on Saturday night at the Intercontinental (5 star hotel!) with his hotel points. We are taking the train there from Ann Arbor. We are also getting a City Pass which includes admission to the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and the John Hancock Observatory. Can't wait!!!
    Posted by jodyk23[/QUOTE]

This I am jealous of! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chicago!  The city pass is great too! We had one of those when we went a few years ago, lots of fun stuff to do!  And I love taking the train too, it's such a nice ride.

Do you have special dinner plans??
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_valentines-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:8a65416a-fc77-4285-a9f4-6e72e22c2c5bPost:74bb7b54-1e5f-4c96-8725-5dae73ec6688">Re: Valentine's Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to Chicago! I'm so excited! I haven't been there as an adult. FI got us a room on Saturday night at the Intercontinental (5 star hotel!) with his hotel points. We are taking the train there from Ann Arbor. We are also getting a City Pass which includes admission to the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and the John Hancock Observatory. Can't wait!!!

Aw, that's so nice!  How long are you staying?  We did the city pass when we went one year for my birthday.  I hated my FI by the end of the weekend.  We tried to pack it all in in 3 days, and I was just wiped.  Everything on the city pass is so great though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We will not do anything, because FI's aunt and cousin are coming to visit from MI...so it will be a family friendly V-day :)
    Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_valentines-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:8a65416a-fc77-4285-a9f4-6e72e22c2c5bPost:74bb7b54-1e5f-4c96-8725-5dae73ec6688">Re: Valentine's Day</a>:

So jealous, have a blast.
  • GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    edited December 2011
    Like PP, we also do not "celebrate" Valentines day. Since it's on a Sunday this year, we might go to a movie and dinner but wont make a big thing of it.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    first off: totally jealous about the Chi-town v-day!! never been and would LOVE to go!!
    FI and I celebrate vday, but he gets off the hook too easy. my birthday is 2/13 so he usually gets me 1 big gift (massage day, $700 cat, etc)... in the past years ive bought him a dog and traveled over an hour away for a special pool cue...This year i'm planning to make him a 'trophy area' for our trophies won by our English Bulldog. She has 3 HUGE trophies and about 20 ribbons.. so i'm going to make him a spot in the bedroom and probably cook him a nice dinner. He always surprises me with my gifts.. so who knows! i go all out for v-day because it's probably one of my favorite 'holidays'-almost i know it isnt a real one. i think because my birthday is so close it to ive always just loved it so much!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Melgor78Melgor78 member
    edited December 2011
    Nothing as usual.  We never really did anything and it's too crowded to go out.  Our friends daughter's b-day is the 12th so not sure if their going to have a party for her that weekend or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    FI does not discuss Valentine's Day. Unfortunately, his mother was killed on Valentine's Day years ago so it's not a day he likes to celebrate. I'm totally ok with it because I think hallmark holidays are stupid anyway. We probably won't be doing much. I'm not even sure if it's on a Saturday or Sunday! I can never remember. Anyway, we'll probably just hang out at home with the dog and I wouldn't have it any other way :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://detroit.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_valentines-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:8a65416a-fc77-4285-a9f4-6e72e22c2c5bPost:74bb7b54-1e5f-4c96-8725-5dae73ec6688">Re: Valentine's Day</a>:

Have fun, Jody! I haven't been there in a very long time! If you don't mind me asking, how much is the City Pass? That sounds like a lot of fun and you can see everything!
  • jodyk23jodyk23 member
    edited December 2011
    We don't have dinner plans yet, but we definately will be going to Lou Malnati's for some pizza. I heard good things about Banderas, so maybe there?

The City pass is $69 so it is a great deal.

We are only staying one night, but we'll get there around noon on Saturday and we are taking the late train home on Sunday (around 7pm), so that should be enough time to cram everything in!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so late on this....

THE DIRTY SHOW! Has anyone every gone? We go every year. Lots of fun!
    www.dirtyshow.org !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards