Flowers

Peonies in February?

I know that it is not Peony season in February but I have read of other brides being able to get them for a February wedding. I put in an email asking our florist but have not heard back yet. Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting these flowers for a late February wedding would be and how to go about it? I know that there are alternatives which I could live with but I would prefer peonies. Thanks!

Re: Peonies in February?

• Kathy8684Kathy8684 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is March 27th and I would LOVE to have peonies.  My florist said it isn't likely that they will be available.  He said he could try to get them from a different country but I would be paying about $20 a flower.  He showed me some silk peonies he had, and honestly you couldn't even tell the difference.  They were high quality.  And I am having a peony/rose bouquet, so you really can't tell at all.  Maybe that would be an option to consider?
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes you can get them in february.....and yes they may cost $20 a peice.  But brides should have exactly the bokay they have always dreamed of,even if the rest of the wedding party has to go without.....
  • edited December 2011
    They will be expensive but try www. ASCFG.org we have a list of local growers and what they grow. Many ship too. You need a Texas or FL grower with them in the greenhouse.
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is March 27th and we're getting peonies.  They're most likely going to be expensive, but you can get them.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_peonies-february?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:10492653Post:72296e39-eed9-40c4-b500-8bbcf3446561">Re: Peonies in February?</a>:
    [QUOTE]yes you can get them in february.....and yes they may cost $20 a peice.  But brides should have exactly the bokay they have always dreamed of,even if the rest of the wedding party has to go without.....
    Posted by flower_diva[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but vendors are not allowed on our boards.  You have been reported.  And for a professional florist, you think you'd know how to spell BOUQUET.
  • flowermama703flowermama703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With all due respect navybaby I did not think flower_diva's post was in any way out of line. She was not soliciting her business at all nor did she even post her website. I think the brides here benefit from the knowledge shared most graciously from professional florists, as flowers are an area of such confusion for many brides.

I myself have been visiting the Flowers board here for several years and have helped dozens of brides with their flower related questions. I've even helped DIY brides plan their flowers in DETAIL, and never advertised my business once...I do it for fun and out of a real desire to help!  I don't see anything whatever wrong with that.

To add my own advice - i have gotten beautiful peonies in February before, but then I live in a city with an international flower market. The way the world market works, it totally depends on your location, unfortunately. Some cities kind of get the "cream of the crop", while the rest of the country gets slim pickins'...:(. Not fair at all, but true. But I tend to agree that you as the bride should splurge a little if peonies are what you really want :)...you can always cut back a little in other areas. Good luck!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_peonies-february?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:10492653Post:f66b26be-8def-42cf-a24b-8660012d6761">Re: Peonies in February?</a>:
    [QUOTE]With all due respect navybaby I did not think flower_diva's post was in any way out of line. She was not soliciting her business at all nor did she even post her website. I think the brides here benefit from the knowledge shared most graciously from professional florists, as flowers are an area of such confusion for many brides.
    Posted by flowermama703[/QUOTE]

She has mentioned in previous posts that she is a professional florist and that's not allowed.  Just because she's not soliciting her business doesn't mean she can post.
  • flowermama703flowermama703 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    gee you're kinda mean :(.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards