New York-Western

Cake!!

So I'm over a year away from my wedding and I have almost everything booked!! One of my last things I need to look into is the wedding cake. We have about 200 guests and I just want something pretty simple (white with a couple flowers) I'm looking for suggestions of places to go and look for a cake...

Also for those who already looked into it I have no idea what a reasonable price is for 200 people. My fiance's friend at work apparently does cake on the side (no sure what company off hand) and said it would be about $500 depending on design but I have nothing to compare it to so I'm not sure if that's overpriced or a great price.

Any help is appreciated!!!!!

Re: Cake!!

• AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ohlson's in Clarence. I also got a fairly simple white cake for about 200 people. I might be off a little bit but I want to say it was around 400. It's also delicious! I know Wolter's was cheaper but theirs didn't taste good to me at all.
  • edited December 2011
    I ordered mine through Ohlson's as well.  Not really simple but not outrageous.  Mine is for 275 people and it cost me about $650 and I was able to get 5 different flavors of cake. I'm not a big cake person but there's is delicious and their icing is not too sweet like most that I've tried.  Plus the owners are really nice.
  • edited December 2011
    Musceril's in north tonawanda/wheatfield did an EXCELLENT JOB  for my wedding. Not only did it look pretty, but it tasted yummy too!
  • gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree. Muscoreil's is AWESOME. their cakes are delicious, and on your first anniversary, they'll bake you a "top layer" for free! (so you don't have to eat the one sitting in the freezer). 

To keep the cost lower, sometimes you can order a smaller 3 tier cake to 'formally cut', and keep a sheet cake in the kitchen that isn't decorated.  95% of the time, guests cant tell which cake their piece is from. =)
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ended up getting mine at Rich's Bakery downtown. That is where my wedding was so it made things easier for us. It might be worth a try. The baker was wicked nice and sweet. And the cake was hands down the best wedding cake I have ever had. We got a ton of complaints on it!
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • edited December 2011
    We are going with Butterwoods, but it was included with our venue, so I'm not sure what their pricing is normally.
  • Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We decided to use Carriage Trade Bakery on Elmwood in Buffalo (at the intersection of Great Arrow near Buff State).  They are a small bakery but we really love their pastries and it's a single family who owns it.  Their sample cakes were delicious, and ours feeds approx 85 people (just buttercream, w/ fondant accents) PLUS a groom's cake with a fondant layer over it (jack-o-lantern) for $288 including delivery fee.
  • L&J2012L&J2012 member
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are thinking of using Muscoreil's. Do you know approximately how much a 4-tier cake for 50 people would be? We haven't gotten to the point of going out to bakers yet, but a rough idea would be nice.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_cake-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:622Discussion:a9c97200-97b2-45a1-b50a-d83164eec5a2Post:0e2d9eed-21f6-4d7b-bcc0-516b1a65292f">Re: Cake!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are thinking of using Muscoreil's. Do you know approximately how much a 4-tier cake for 50 people would be? We haven't gotten to the point of going out to bakers yet, but a rough idea would be nice.
    Posted by L&J2012[/QUOTE]

Not sure having a 4 tier cake for 50 people is possible. I would imagine you could have a 2 tier cake for 50 people. If you could have 4 tiers the tiers would have to be extremely tiny and would probably look silly! Just a thought!
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • L&J2012L&J2012 member
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, you have a good point. We were hoping to be able to do 4 tiers (to make it look like a curling house- 4 concentric rings), but we might have to just do a curling stone...

Thanks!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_cake-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:622Discussion:a9c97200-97b2-45a1-b50a-d83164eec5a2Post:aa36316f-a1aa-4a1c-a454-2022e9c59452">Re: Cake!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm, you have a good point. We were hoping to be able to do 4 tiers (to make it look like a curling house- 4 concentric rings), but we might have to just do a curling stone... Thanks!
    Posted by L&J2012[/QUOTE]

Maybe you could do a sheet cake with a curling broad with little figurines and stuff, That would be cute as well!
  • L&J2012L&J2012 member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I was thinking of a sheet cake. I know it'd be a lot cheaper...

Are cupcakes generally more expensive than cakes? I know they can do cute things with cupcakes these days, maybe we could have them put fondant curling-related things on top and have a cupcake tree...
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure what would be cheaper. My guess is the sheet cake. Whatever you decide to go with both sound really cute.
  • L&J2012L&J2012 member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, they'd all be cute. I kind of want the tiered cake, for sake of tradition, but we do only have 50 people, so something different would be cute. I just e-mailed Muscreil's and Ohlson's asking about a general pricing idea for each option (and if each option would be do-able).
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would check out Rich's Bakery as well. My cake was so freakin good.

Also if you really wanted tier cake than get one. You could easily do simple 2 or 3 tier cake. Check Carries Cake website. This is the website I used to design and help me decide on size. She is on amazing cakes all the time, her website is really helpful!

http://www.carriescakes.com/pricing-flavors
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards