Military Brides

Moving Advice!

Alrighty Ladies thinking about this is giving me a major headache so I've come here for some advice.

Facts behind my question:::

Current Apt. Lease Ends: April 30th, 2011
Wedding Date: May 28th, 2011
Current Employment Ends: June 30th, 2011
FI reports to the base we will be the next 4 years : August, 2011

As you can see everything seems to be ending just a little too early. haha
FI and I are trying to decide our housing and when I should move and where.

After my Apartment lease ends I was planning on moving home with my Mom about an hour away from my job and commuting for the last month or two. I originally had hoped to ship my property to my FI and then join him after the wedding. However, he will be finishing up his training and I moving twice within 3 months while unemployed seems irresponsible IMO.

Would do you Ladies think of the following Options

(1) Move to where FI (right after the wedding) is finishing training and be with him - I mean we will be married -- unemployed for a couple months

(2) Move to FI when my lease is up in April spend a couple extra months with him however most likely remain unemployed as I will have to travel back for the wedding and will only be there for a few months

(3) Move to where FI will be, right after the wedding that will give me a couple months to get settled, and find work before FI joins me. (This doesn't solve my problem of what to do with my property for the month in limbo)

(4) Finish out my job and move to where FI will be, that will give me A month to get settled and find work before FI joins me. (This doesn't solve my problem of what to do with my property for the 2 months in limbo)

IMO #1 and #2 are out but perhaps if I hear a convincing arugment I may reconsider :) 

major help needed! TIA!

Re: Moving Advice!

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you talked to your landlord about extending for only 2 months?  Our apartment lease was up in July, but we went to them and explained the situation and they let us do a month by month lease.  We just had to give 30 days notice for when we were moving out, and the partial month we were there they charged us by the day.  Then you would only be moving once, and still be working.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would extend my lease for the time you have left there.  Less of a headache all around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    If you can extend your lease like the other said, I think that would be the way to go. Otherwise, I'd say it would be best to finish your job and live with your mom or something, then move to where your fiance will be so that you can start looking for a job. It would be a bummer to be separated, but I think it's better than being unemployed.
  • edited December 2011
    Update in case anyone is curious :

I checked with my Apartment Building and as I suspected they will not extend my lease for 2 months regardless of FI Military status :(, I would have to extend it for 6 mos, or 12 mos. So I will be moving my things at the end of April.

I was visiting my FI last weekend for his UPT Graduation and since I flew in and out of Wichita, KS we went and looked at some Apartments and we both fell in love with one. We filled out the application and put down a deposit to get on the list for an available unit for May-June-July (before my FI). Depending on when one is available I'll move accordingly. We have a dog so that has limited our options and I'm hoping it all works out!

Thanks for the advice ladies. -- I have some emails and calls out to some of my contacts for jobs and got a little nimble from one. Not in my field exactly but we will see how it works out!
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    You can extend it for 6 months, put your FI on your lease, and when his orders indicate that you'll be moving, they're obligated by law to release you from your lease with 30 days notice.  I wouldn't go telling your landlord these are your plans - but legally, even without a military clause, they're required to do this.  Check with the JAG Officer at his base to find out more details and any forms they may have for notifying the landlord of the move to be ready when the time comes.

I would stay in your apartment until your job is done, and then (depending on cost) move to where your FI is currently stationed so that your things can be moved with his when he gets his orders.  If paying to move yourself would be too expensive, and you live in his hometown, it could be possible that they'd move the things from your home to the new location when his orders change.  In which case you could just move with suitcases to where he is now, and then have your stuff meet you in his new duty station.  Otherwise, you can pay for the move to where he is, and then they should move your stuff with his to the new duty station when he gets his orders.

Anniversary

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    Well I'm glad it worked out for you.  That really stinks that they weren't flexible at all.  Now the crappy thing is that if you were already married, the legal office could step in and threaten to ban them from the list of approved rentals for military (or something like that).  H was recruiting on his last tour and his office tried to screw us when we moved out.  We extended the lease by month, and notified them immediately when we knew our move out date but it was less than 30 months before so they were going to charge us for the full month when we were only there 8 days.  We had paperwork showing that we had no way of knowing the date before that, and they still didn't care.  So he talked to his chiefs about it and the Navy legal office from that area called and threatened to take legal action and ban then and completely changed their attitude.

Glad it sounds like it's working out though.  Pet friendly apartments are sometimes hard to find.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Beach - Pet friendly apartments are hard. We found a place but not all of their units are pet friendly (only 16 are) so we are hoping that a pet friendly unit comes up within our 3 month window - otherwise they are partnered with another set of apartments across the road and although they are a few years older they also have another set of 16. That gives us 32 windows. If we get the older building we will sign a 6 month lease and try again for the newer buildings. We are also getting on the list for a few other places just in case. As of right now- FI is willing to give our dog away if she prevents us from getting our dream apartment. However, since I paid for and have been caring for her the entire time, he has no authority to give her away! haha Worst case scerenio if NONE of the apartments work out we will most likely just live on base.

Calindi - I still live in MN and my apartment is not on a military approved list and they really could care less about my situation - downfall to living in a building that is run by a large cooperation. My FI has already received his orders so I believe those other options are out as well. Its a PITA but w/e I guess. C'est le vie!  (may be A's instead of e's my French is fading fast! LoL)
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_moving-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:6b8d55ae-a5f9-412e-b144-14ef818f097aPost:84082e87-f288-4ac6-aaa0-ae24e6e23766">Re: Moving Advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Calindi - I still live in MN and my apartment is not on a military approved list and they really could care less about my situation - downfall to living in a building that is run by a large cooperation. My FI has already received his orders so I believe those other options are out as well. Its a PITA but w/e I guess. C'est le vie!  (may be A's instead of e's my French is fading fast! LoL)
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

It's a federal law - has nothing to do with "military approved" housing or whether they're sympathetic.  The law is the law.  The fact that he already received his orders may be a problem, though.

Here's the U.S. District Attorney's paper on this law:
    <a href="http://www.justice.gov/usao/az/rights/Servicemembers_Civil_Relief_Act.pdf" rel='nofollow'>http://www.justice.gov/usao/az/rights/Servicemembers_Civil_Relief_Act.pdf</a>

Just FYI, the law is called The Service Member Civil Relief Act (SCRA), and allows for early termination in three instances:
    -<span>     </span>The service member entered the lease before active duty military service,
    <span><span>-<span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:7pt;line-height:normal;font-size-adjust:none;font-stretch:normal;">        </span></span></span>The service member entered the lease while on active duty and then received permanent change of station orders
    <span><span>-<span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:7pt;line-height:normal;font-size-adjust:none;font-stretch:normal;">         </span></span></span>The service member entered the lease while on active duty and then received orders to deploy in support of a military operation in excess of 90 days. 

Your situation would have been the second one, if he hadn't received his orders yet.  It might be a loophole since you'll be getting married - have him check with the JAG Officer.

Just for a bit more information, this notice has to be given to the landlord in writing. Under this law, the termination becomes effective at the end of the following month. 
    <p>The servicemember is required to pay rent for only those months before the lease is terminated. If rent has been paid in advance, the landlord must prorate and refund the unearned portion. If a security deposit was required, it must be returned to the servicemember upon termination of the lease.</p>

Anniversary

• LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm late to this but yes-- It's federal law, and it doesn't matter at all if it's on a military approved lease. Further, typically when you end a lease you have the option of staying on month to month without signing a new lease, and there's not much they can do if you're paying the rent. It's not a lease-- they just can't kick you out until you give notice/vacate, assuming you're paying rent. Just FYI.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards