Wedding Etiquette Forum

Good idea/bad idea?

I know charitable favors are a hot issue on the boards.

My mom, who is contributing probably 2/3 of the wedding budget, is insisting that we have favors, even though I don't really care one way or the other.

My aunt was severely brain damaged as a child and lives in a group home for disabled adults.  The home is run by a charitable corporation that runs several businesses to employ these adults that are probably not high-functioning enough to get jobs in the community.  My aunt, for example, works at a company that makes natural/organic cleaning products that are sold at gift shops in the community. 

One of their businesses is a candy shop.  For our favors, we are thinking of doing a small box/bag with a chocolate turtle and homemade caramels in it from this shop.  (Their candy is really awesome.)  The money will go to a good cause, but there won't be any indicator that this is a "charitable favor."  The name of the shop is just a regular cheesy candy shop name, so if it winds up on the box somewhere that won't give it away.  If I'm going to waste money on favors, I feel better knowing it's going to this organization.

WDYT?  Good idea/bad idea?  Or is this just another crappy charitable donation favor in disguise?
two years!
after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
Pregnancy Ticker
Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart

Re: Good idea/bad idea?

• Great idea.  Takes care of providing for the favors for your guests and you know the proceeds will help your aunt and others out.  Win-win!  I love these types of businesses that hire people with special needs.  It is so important.
  • That's a great idea.  It's an actual favor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's a terrific idea.  If you're going to have favors, imo the kind you're talking about are the best.  The fact that your money will be going toward an organization you believe in is an added bonus. 

I don't think this smacks, in any way, of the "hey look at me - I'm donating to a charity."  The candies sound wonderful and your approach to it all is very thoughtful. 
  • I like it.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I think its a good idea.  Better to give your favor money to a good organization instead of Hershey.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think its a good idea.  But I don't think charitable favors are bad.  I don't see how giving to charity is a bad thing.
    Photobucket
  • Yummy edible favor that supports a good cause without being an AW about it = great idea to me.
  • I think it is totally fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Of course it's a great idea!  You're giving to charity while also giving candy to your guests.  It's a win-win.  It would only be crappy if it wasn't something your guests could enjoy. 
  • I think it's a great idea - you give your guests the only kind of favor that I think is worth spending money on, and you aren't flaunting how awesome you are for giving money to charity, but you ARE doing a good thing.  Win-win-win.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Okay, good to know.  I generally am not a fan of charitable favors at all, and I thought this dealt with all the problems I have with them, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any objections I'd missed somehow.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think in the end its an edible favor, and that's all your guests will see it as. From the buying standpoint, only you and your mom know its a "charity". I would feel better knowing that my favors were benefitting something close to my family's heart, regardless of whether anyone knows it or not.

Good idea.
  • I think it's a great idea.  You're giving a favor and the money is going to a good cause that is close to your heart.

I don't consider this a charitable favor because you're not really saying "Instead of giving everyone a truffle, we're giving money to XYZOrganization."

Giving to charity isn't a bad thing.  I think, and IMO, doing it as an announcement at your wedding is a bad thing.
  • I think it's an awesome idea.  I'm one that's normally against donations as favors, but in this case you plan to actually give your guests a favor, it just so happens that the favor has an added benefit of a donation to a good cause.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I think it is a great idea!!  Even if guests knew they were from a shop that was run by a charitable organization, I would think it was cool. 
    Crosswalk
  • Good idea.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Terrible, horrible idea.

Kidding, of course. This idea = validated. Smile
  • I think it's the best of both worlds!  Charitable favor without AWing it to the world, plus guests get delicious edible favors.  Great idea.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Ditto, great idea :)
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Thanks for the idea!   I'm going to look for something like that too!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-ideabad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:71c35bd2-93ea-4610-927a-96d5f5fdf964Post:03867276-01ea-4cc7-b274-6f3ae00678a7">Re: Good idea/bad idea?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's an awesome idea.  I'm one that's normally against donations as favors, but in this case you plan to actually give your guests a favor, it just so happens that the favor has an added benefit of a donation to a good cause.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

Agreed!
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This is the perfect way to deal with all the factors you were concerned about. Way to go brie!

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • And the best part, based on your stress-level last week, is: now you can stop thinking about favors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-ideabad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:71c35bd2-93ea-4610-927a-96d5f5fdf964Post:d97020c9-9672-44ef-b146-bcdcaadcbd83">Re: Good idea/bad idea?</a>:
    [QUOTE]And the best part, based on your stress-level last week, is: now you can stop thinking about favors.
    Posted by Morfudd[/QUOTE]

A-freaking-men.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • excellent idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards