North Carolina-Outer Banks

Corolla or Southern Shores

My Fiance and I have found 3 event houses we like, two in Corolla and and one in Southern Shores! Our plan is to have a small wedding on the beach July 14, 2013 and then have a party back at our house for family and friends. I had thought Corolla would be perfect but then I found the PERFECT house in Southern Shores, it combines the best of both of the Corolla houses! Does anyone have any opinions about the differences between Corolla and Southern Shores! Ideally I wanted a house in the 4x4 area of Carova but my FI says it would be too difficult for guests to attend! Thanks for any help! 

Re: Corolla or Southern Shores

• Congrats and welcome!

I just returned from Duck yesterday actually and I say S. Shores all the way!  As much as I love Corolla, and esp. Carova b/c my brother lives there, the traffic just getting into Duck made me very stabby!  I usually stay down in S. Nags Head, so this was defnitely a different experience for us this year.  I kid you not, it took 1.5 hrs just to make it from the light turning into S. Shores/Duck to our house beside Scarborough Faire, which is exactly 5 miles down.  Of course that was Sat. traffic, but even during the week, the traffic would get backed up and I am sure you wouldn't want your guests to have to deal with that, so I would play it safe and go with S. Shores. 

Which house is it if you don't mind sharing?  I saw several gorgeous homes through there and one that is particularly standing out in my mind, just curious if it's the same one or not.

Where in VA are you? 

• Thanks for your input! I just got bad news from the realtor, the house in SS is $2000 more than  it was listed! Ouch! We have a small budget so now it's out of our price range! I'm not sure how many guests will be driving down for the wedding as my Fiance's immediate family will all be staying in our house so once they arrive there traffic shouldn't be a problem! I'm in Virginia Beach and I know it's a short drive down to OBX to look at houses in person but my FI is deployed right now so I'd be going alone or with a friend! I wish we had an unlimited budget but we are paying for the wedding ourselves! Both of my parents have passed away and I am an only child so I would be happy if we just eloped but he is close to his family and wants to include them! Plus now they will all be my family too! :-)

• Hi and welcome! I must say Corolla all the way! We have vacationed in Duck the last 6 years and we love it. So close to shops, stores, etc. The communities along Duck and Corolla are great! Plus you could get some great photos at the Whalehead Club up in Corolla!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would say you definitely need to consider a few different things:

1. Pets (if you're bringing them)- Corolla and SS have different pet laws (Duck allows pets on beach all year)
    2. Travel - In mid July this year it took us an hr just to get from Duck to the light at SS (near the Hilton)
    3. Consider Duck - if you're looking at Corolla and SS, have you considered the middle? There are plenty of shops in walking distance. Also, they rebuilt a beautiful walkway in the park in Duck, along the sound. It would make for some gorgeous photos. 

Hmm... I think I would a little Ducky bias ;P

Good luck! :)
  • ACJD714ACJD714 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Ironic that I posted the question asking about Corolla or Southern Shores because today we picked a house that was in neither location! We picked an oceanfront home in Duck! I'm very excited at our choice! Thank you for eveyones suggestions! It's nice to have finally found a location! It's funny how sometimes everything just falls into place, just like it was meant to be!  

• Which house acjd? We stay in Duck every year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Which house acjd? We stay in Duck every year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ACJD714ACJD714 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Journey's Reward! I looked at lots of homes online but when I saw this one I knew it was the one! Hopefully when I see it in person it has the same affect! :-)

I'm excited because it sounds like Duck may be a little quieter of a beach since there is no public beach access. Since you vacation there, what do you think?

• Duck is AWESOME! We like taking the pups out on the beach anytime we want. That's a HUGE FACTOR why we stay in Duck. We, along with FMIL, and FSIL have dogs. They love it! And also, the houses are spread out too, and beaches aren't crowded.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was trying to figure out how I posted something last night at 11:15 pm when I know I was asleep then! We always go the first week of September and it's very quiet at that time, but I can't speak to how it would be in July.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oooo.. great choice! I feel like I've seen this house before.... I'm not positive, but I think it's in Northern Duck, rather than Southern Duck, right? I think you'll be north of the pier. One year we stayed up toward that way. (We usually stay near Scarborough Faire.) We've even been there in July and it's still not too crowded. Anyhoodle, if it IS in northern Duck, you'll have a very nice quiet time. The bike/walking path is much smoother up there. That's the only thing I'm not as crazy about in Southern Duck. There, the bike path is right on the road. There's not much room (especially in July) and people rarely drive the actual speed limit (25mph).. but then again, it's lots closer for shopping, which I love. Um, yeah, I think I just carried on a whole debate with myself.....Wow, I'm rambling today... sorry about that. But, yes.. great town. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. :)
  • Ksj, that's because when I was on here with my Ipad, someone was logged in already.  I wonder who was using my Ipad, and when that happened?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the posts everyone! 

TeachLibrary, you're right it is up in the north end of Duck so maybe you have seen it. I haven't been down to the Outer Banks in a few years so I am looking forward to go down and explore the area! Unfortunately, my Fiance is deployed for a while but I'll go scope things out before he gets home, then once he's home we can have a nice weekend away to the Outer Banks! I'm excited for him to see it because he has never been down there! 

ksj and phillyboy, I was wondering why I got the same message from you both! Now it makes sense! Too funny!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards