Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Are you doing favors?

So, I've been trying to think about favors... and I'm wondering if they're really worth the money.  I don't want to do anything personalized (who really wants to take home a shot glass with OUR names on it?), and anything that looks relatively cute or functional seems to cost a fortunes when you consider how many you'll need.  Is anyone else considering skipping the favors?  If nothing else, I thought it might be nice to throw the extra couple hundred dollars we'd save into better liquor for the bar...  What are your opinions on this?
Bioliciousness

Life and death, energy and peace. If I stop today it was still worth it. Even the terrible mistakes that I made and would have unmade if I could. The pains that have burned me and scarred my soul, it was worth it, for having been allowed to walk where I've walked, which was to hell on earth, heaven on earth, back again, into, under, far in between, through it, in it, and above. ~ gia maria carangi

Re: Are you doing favors?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought boxes cheap in put a few hershey kisses in each one n they turned out really cute!
  • Options
    slpankuchslpankuch member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never really liked the idea of food favors because people eat so much at the reception, why do they need candy to take home?

I like the idea of pictures. I am using a photobooth so guests can take a picture of themselves and their date or family with out wedding date and names on the top of it. That way they have a keepsake picture and it shows where it was taken.
    A cheaper alternative: I have also heard of people doing picture favors where the bride and groom take a nice engagement picture and give nice frames on the table.
    Pictures are something people keep, not cheap plastic favors, or boxes of candy.

If you want to do the candy route because I know it saves money! Get bulk candy and make a candy bar. It's cheap, gives them choices, and more fun for your guest anyway. You don't need to buy those expensive cute boxes, just get little gift bags that you can get at any party store. You can then have money to throw at your real bar!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing favors because they are very special and unique to my FI and I.  We got engaged on the beach at Ocean City, NJ, so we are doing salt water taffy from the board walk.  They were less than $3 a piece, and that includes a personalized box, so we couldn't pass up the deal!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're making chocolate covered pretzels since FI is from Lititz, home of Wilbur Chocolate and Strugis pretzels... yum!
  • Options
    jeheckmajeheckma member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a small box of my grandmother's famous peanut butter fudge (since I am obsessed). We are going to put a small thank you card with it.
    *August Siggy for Dec. 2011 Brides* Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HerbiePens410....Cool idea! I am getting married at the Mary Dixon Chapel-across the street from the preztel place! We want to put pretzels and the wilbur buttons in our guest bags!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!!  I like your idea of putting them in the guest bags! More to munch on :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought cute swirl lollypops but after getting them i was disappointed with the flavor.  I found filmstrip shaped frames for $1 that I'm going to put engagement photos in and give out.  I figure I only need one for each family/ couple so it actually isn't too bad pricewise and everyone gets some of our engagment photos.  Stuff with names on it is odd.  I was never big into an item with names and a date on it.  You feel obligated to keep the stuff and it is usually useless junk.
  • Options
    jallen8jallen8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been pondering whether or not to do favors as well - I've heard so many instances of guests not taking the favors with them. I've considered...

-giving each guest some Wilbur chocolates, since we're getting married in Lancaster
    -trying to do something homemade for a personal touch - although the time/stress that could be involved might not be worth it in the end
    -taking a completely different route and doing a donation to the Humane League or something like that (since we both love animals) instead of individual favors

I might actually be leaning toward idea #3, but I'm not positive.
  • Options
    JJLeon210JJLeon210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not doing favors at all. Personally I think they are a waste of money...and from what I've seen at previous weddings, people usually leave them behind...and all the ones I've ever taken home have been thrown out shortly after. You dont need to spend more money just so people can take something home with them to remember you by...its your wedding, they should remember it anyways.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the opinions ladies!  I'm leaning towards not doing them, but I'm still not totally decided!
    Bioliciousness

Life and death, energy and peace. If I stop today it was still worth it. Even the terrible mistakes that I made and would have unmade if I could. The pains that have burned me and scarred my soul, it was worth it, for having been allowed to walk where I've walked, which was to hell on earth, heaven on earth, back again, into, under, far in between, through it, in it, and above. ~ gia maria carangi

• Options
    h_pearsonh_pearson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are giving mini bottles of our favorite hot sauce. I have friends who run their own hot sauce company, and I figured it would be a nice thing to give out to everyone.
  • Options
    bbarre02bbarre02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was not going to so favors then I decied that since we are having cupcakes instead of a full cake that we would box up extra cupcakes and have them for our guests as they depart the reception.  We also are going to have a small card at each place setting explaining that we are donating money to Aaron's Acers. a not for profit organization.

• Options
    Play getawayPlay getaway member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we decided back n forth for a while too..  Since we both LOVE  sweets, and I'm italian (hate cake, but love pastries) we are having a vienese hour. (i always spell that wrong, sorry) 

I asked our venue how much they put out and they said they continue to replenish it for the hour so we are telling our guests to load up and using them as our favors at the end of the night to either eat there, take home, or bring with them to the after party:) .  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards