African American Weddings

New to the board....what took me so long!!!

hey ladies,

First of all....I'm so happy to have found a board with realness in it!

I'm getting married in April in las Vegas...so excited! S my first question is

I need a hair stylist for a las Vegas wedding, I am biracial and have curly hair, but want a straight updo. My sister is 100% black with unprocessed hair. She is insisting I find a black stylist for her hair because its hard to work with. (it's really not, it's very fine and can hold a style well)

The artists I have found do a great job on all hair types.....the one even did Wanda Sykes hair. Now, if she could do wandas hair...she can do my sisters hair!

Ugh...she gets on my nerves ;-)

Thanks for your help

Re: New to the board....what took me so long!!!

• Welcome to the board and congrat's on your engagement!! We've had a few ladies marry in Vegas so I hope you get some feedback!:)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks!

Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_need-a-hairdresser-for-vegas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b2c3308e-e7b6-43a9-963b-a45683a10df1Post:c4b077c1-f027-401a-9e61-a7a2991530fb">Re: New to the board....what took me so long!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome to the board and congrat's on your engagement!! We've had a few ladies marry in Vegas so I hope you get some feedback!:)
    Posted by Elizabeth80[/QUOTE]
  • Welcome to the forum.  :)

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• hey! congrats on engagement and welcome to board! I'm biracial too except i gotta mexican last name so i'm ALL THE WAY confused. lol! kidding. but i'm kind of with your sister. even with my hair i seek out african american stylists because back in the day they'd give me "their hair cut" not factoring in shrinkage when it dried and i'd end up with a 2 inch fro on top of my head. I'm not in vegas, but i'll be there in january, i'll keep an eye open for you.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Welcome to the board

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks!! I tried to tell her the stylists I have found know what they are doing. She's just difficult with her boojie @ss lol

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_need-a-hairdresser-for-vegas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b2c3308e-e7b6-43a9-963b-a45683a10df1Post:b1838803-3a92-408d-9847-19405f24004a">Re: New to the board....what took me so long!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]hey! congrats on engagement and welcome to board! I'm biracial too except i gotta mexican last name so i'm ALL THE WAY confused. lol! kidding. but i'm kind of with your sister. even with my hair i seek out african american stylists because back in the day they'd give me "their hair cut" not factoring in shrinkage when it dried and i'd end up with a 2 inch fro on top of my head. I'm not in vegas, but i'll be there in january, i'll keep an eye open for you.
    Posted by footballwife77[/QUOTE]
  • Welcome to the best board on TK!
    click here to view our Amazing Love wedding website Anniversary
  • Welcome to the board! There are a few brides that recently had LV weddings.  I know Sophia1913 had a great wedding there not too long ago. Maybe write her a message by making a post and making her name the title. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Congrats and welcome to the board!!  I hope that you find a stylist that works well for you...there have been a few brides that have gotten married in Las Vegas so I am sure they will help! This board is full of support!!
  • Sophia got the same person I'm looking at and she looked beautiful, that's what I'm tryin to tell my sister. She knows what she's doing!! I'm just gunna tell her I'm booking who I want and if u insist on a black stylist you will have to find her and pay her yourself. I need someone to come to the hotel room. So if I can't find one that'll come to the room then she is definitely on her own! I didn't have much luck findings anyone on google either

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_need-a-hairdresser-for-vegas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b2c3308e-e7b6-43a9-963b-a45683a10df1Post:3b418af3-0658-42dd-90a4-66c16f3e46e4">Re: New to the board....what took me so long!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome to the board! There are a few brides that recently had LV weddings.  I know  Sophia1913  had a great wedding there not too long ago. Maybe write her a message by making a post and making her name the title. 
    Posted by keyaira04[/QUOTE]
  • Hello and welcome to the Board!

I'm also a Vegas Bride and have not found anyone to do my hair yet but can symphatize with your sister. Everyone absolutely cannot style, cut, or manipulate ethnic hair. More is involved in just styling because our hair is very fragile. Your sister's hair can suffer down the road if the stylist is not educated in how to handle our hair. It might look good on the wedding day but fall out a month later. An example would be women who go to Dominican stylist. Their hair looks very good "initially" but some have reported nightmare like experiences after the fact. I'm very funny about who I allow in my head, just being honest. However....

If the stylist you've selected is tried and true, I'd show my sister her work and I'd also let my sister talk to the stylist about her concerns. Let the stylist convince her that she's the best person for the job. Also show her pics of how Sophias hair looked on her day (if you haven't already). Reassure her that you are confident in the fact her hair will look beautiful AND be taken care of on that day.

Lastly, if she insist on a Black stylist, firmly but nicely let her know she will be on her own for that and the stylist cannot conflict with the rest of the days event. If you want everyone being worked on in the room together, your sister has to know its her responsibility to find a stylist who can travel and also will NOT conflict with the stylist you have booked. She has to be reasonable.

I think it will work out in the long run and I can see both sides of the spectrum. I refuse to let anyone do my make-up or hair who is not very well-versed in ethnic hair and skintone. I'm way too dark to let folks experiment on my wedding day with shades and colors.  Have me looking like 100% Homey D. Clown....(nope) lol :)
  • edited June 2012
    PS. where is your ceremony and reception??? And what date in April?

I'm 4.6.13 :))
  • Lol! Ours is on 4/24/13 at the flamingo....where is yours? We are having our dinner at the wicked spoon buffet and then going to have a reception when we get home. I'm so excited. Have u booked a photographer yet? If not, check out bently and Wilson...beautiful pics and amazing prices. He did sophias pictures too

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_need-a-hairdresser-for-vegas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b2c3308e-e7b6-43a9-963b-a45683a10df1Post:bcaf116e-1e34-4f3b-b2c9-a197f33730f9">Re: New to the board....what took me so long!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]PS. where is your ceremony and reception??? And what date in April? I'm 4.6.13 :))
    Posted by staten2012[/QUOTE]
  • Welcome to the board and congrats :-)
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey and welcome to the best board ever !!!! Another OHIO Knottie..yayyyy !!!!!!
    imageimage May2013 October Siggy:Honeymoon:Putna Cana http://1badwedding.weebly.com/
  • Welcome to the board!!!

imageAnniversary
  • Welcome Love!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Simply Fabulous!
  • Welcome!
    145 Invited image
    65 Cannot wait to party! image
    1 Saving me money! image
    80 Looking for the mailbox image
  • Welcome to the board Smile. If the only thing she will do is style your sisters hair why not see if she can do a trail the next time your there. If it turns out looking great just stare @ her with the "say I'm right face" lol but it it doesn't work out just change the subject.
  • I'm late but welcome fellow Ohioan!!!
    imageAnniversary
  • LSASLSAS member
    First Comment
    Congrats and welcome!!!
    Anniversary
  • Welcome to the board.. and Congrats on your engagement... Yah.. for another ohioan.. LOL..
    So are you trying to get your hair done in vegas? If so let me know, I know a few people that live out there and maybe they would be able to pass along their stylist name..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards