North Carolina

DJ and caterer costs?

I am wondering a rough average price everyone is paying for a dj, two people, for 5 hours? also, cost on a caterer for a 100 people with buffett? Every time I ask a vendor for rough price estimates, they say "whatever your budget is!" Thing is, I have no idea if I should spend more on the caterer, as a budget of 7 grand wont get me much, or if I should spend 1500 on the dj? I'm just a little lost on what average prices of things are since I am the first to get married in my family. Thanks for any help!!

Re: DJ and caterer costs?

• IMO, I would pay more for food than for music. Even if it came down to it, I'd rather have awesome food and just have an IPOD play music or something. That may just be me though.

We used 'All the Right Grooves' based out of Charlotte when we got married in 2010. We had Bethany and she was AMAZING. Im not sure why one would need two DJs? Are you having lighting done too? Im honestly curious because I've never seen two DJs, but then again I haven't been to a massive amount of weddings :o)

Anyways, our DJ for 4-5 hours, plus travel time from Charlotte to Garner NC was about 600-700. I can't remember the exact amount. Anyways, to me, $1500 for a DJ sounds really high.

If you're not sure what kind of budget you're working with right now for food, I suggest :

1. When you're talking with caterers, ask for sample menus along with their costs, or average costs. That way you can hopefully get a ballpark picture of what you'd be looking at.

2. Talking with your FI and try to figure it out soon, as it is really important to know. Also make sure you know your guest list count (prior to RSVPs), so that you can discuss costs, based off that number.

Also, the cost of your caterer is going to vary greatly by location, time of day (menu style) as well as the kind of food you're serving. So try and think about those things too while talking with caterers.

I hope that helps and makes sense :o)

Congrats on your engagement and happy planning!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • we're using randy smith (your personal dj) out of high point and visions catering out of high point. haven't had the wedding yet so i can't give you a proper review, but visions does EVERYTHING (linens, plates, servers at no extra charge) and they do buffets and extras like uplighting too if you're interested. randy is doing our ceremony, reception AND a photobooth for around 1200 i believe, so i think 1500 for just a dj is a little overpriced...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think K2 productions has fairly decent costs for DJ services ( I went to HS w/ the co-owner and they are pretty amazing).  I am actually using a friend of mine who used to be a radio dj for our dj and he is charging us 75 an hour !!  As far as catering I would def.  put more money toward that.  We are still on the hunt for a caterer, my FI is a cook and super picky about food.  We tried Whole Foods at a bridal show and are going to do a tasting with them (prices seemed comparable with most other caterers, and they partner with rental places to provide tables, linens, etc)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are using all the right grooves for our ceremony and reception. I forget the exact price, but under 900. For 75 people for a couple of apps and a buffet dinner we are paying 2500. Most caterers wanted more than that, but we shopped around.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_dj-and-caterer-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:d42a5fa7-a465-42ef-8e78-aadb42211079Post:f879a9d7-0bf3-481a-bbdf-5183a902bd75">Re:DJ and caterer costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are using all the right grooves for our ceremony and reception. I forget the exact price, but under 900. For 75 people for a couple of apps and a buffet dinner we are paying 2500. Most caterers wanted more than that, but we shopped around.
    Posted by lacey3eb[/QUOTE]

lacey, may I ask who you are using for the caterer?
  • We are using doughgirl's catering. So far they have been great to work with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards