Nevada-Las Vegas

Destination Wedding Guest List

I figured I would ask this here since I'm familar with this board and all of us are planning a destination wedding.

We're finalizing our guest list and some questions have come up, hopefully some of you can throw in your two cents.

1) We want to keep guest to no more then 60, how many invites should we send out?
2) There are a few people on the guest list that I know won't be coming to the wedding, should I still send them save the dates and invites? Are you doing something after the wedding to say "Hey! We got married?!"
3) Do I have to include super extended family, like great aunts, cousins and uncles?
Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Destination Wedding Guest List

• Oh the guest list! My demise. 

1.  People will tell you to invite how many you can afford and fit in regards to the venue capactiy.  I myself invited about 15 more.  OOPS! I will let you know how that turns out.

2.  If you would invite them to the wedding then send a save the date and invitation. If not, dont send anything and send a wedding announcement immediately following your wedding.

3.  Its up to you if you want to invite super extended family! In my fiance and I's case we are inviting Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and small children of cousins.  If I had it my way we would only invite Aunts and Uncles but we are close to some of our cousins and didnt want to leave certain cousins out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest

• 1 invite per house addressed to ppl in household invites.  in case no kids invited dont put them on envelope.

even if you think pple wont come and you want invite them anyway send STDs and invites.  i know there may be some that wont or cant come but im still inviting them

you dont have to invite greats and extended if you dont want to its not mandatory
  • We had some people that we knew weren't going to be coming to our wedding in Vegas but we sent them Save the dates anyway just so they felt included. I know most of the time people say you should assume everyone you invite is going to come but honestly my 90 year old grandma is not coming to Vegas but I think she'd feel left out if I didn't send her an invitation. We didn't include extended family but I think it would be nice to send them a little announcement about your marriage after you get married, that's a nice way to include them. I think we might be doing that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_destination-wedding-guest-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:44ce704b-97af-4ec2-a952-97a9da51d0f3Post:a2ecb218-e13e-4a7a-8f03-72688a763889">Re: Destination Wedding Guest List</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had some people that we knew weren't going to be coming to our wedding in Vegas but we sent them Save the dates anyway just so they felt included. I know most of the time people say you should assume everyone you invite is going to come but honestly my 90 year old grandma is not coming to Vegas but I think she'd feel left out if I didn't send her an invitation. We didn't include extended family but I think it would be nice to send them a little announcement about your marriage after you get married, that's a nice way to include them. I think we might be doing that.
    Posted by ChelseaW36[/QUOTE]

<div>I know my Grandma from my Dad's side won't be going either but I plan on sending her an invite anyway so she doesn't get upset.</div><div>
    </div><div>If we only want 60 people there, should I really only send 60 save the dates & invites? </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would only invite your maximum number of guests (based on buget, venue, whatever).  I sent STDs to a few extra thinking that I knew some people wouldn't or couldn't come, but now I'm getting feedback that they're really looking forward to going to LV with us.  It's put a bit of pressure on me venue wise, but either I'll recieve enough regrets from other invitees or I'll have to upgrade to a larger reception space once I get a better idea of the situation.  It's really just an avoidable headache as long as you stick to your maximum number of guests.  People are unpredicable, so it's better to try to plan for that, IMO. :)

• Our original plan is to have about 25 people at the wedding then the number of invites grew because my FI has a pretty big family (uncles, cousins, and aunts) and then my sister got married so we want to invite my bro in law's family as well. So now we have 55 invitations need to be print out for couples (110 people total). We are expecting about 40-50 people will be at our wedding.

I think it will be good for you to count extra than 60 just in case you have to invite others outside that 60. :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just don't know what to do, I have a pretty big family and thats one of the reasons why we decided to get married in Vegas. We want our closest friends and family there with us.

The chapel can seat 70, reception is 50 with room for 60.

We have to finalize the list to get these save the dates out, I'm sure it's just a huge headache for me and my fiance could careless. Lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry to get side tracked...tell me this happens to everyone. If you send grandma/older members of the family, they get upset and say, "oh, I don't know why they send me an invite, they know I can't make it!" BUT if you don't send an invite b/c you don't want them stressed, they can upset b/c you didn't think enough of them to send one! LOL. Can't win, but love them very much and I'll take it!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_destination-wedding-guest-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:44ce704b-97af-4ec2-a952-97a9da51d0f3Post:0d6f13c3-e6b4-4de9-9e88-7440d497acae">Destination Wedding Guest List</a>:
    [QUOTE]I figured I would ask this here since I'm familar with this board and all of us are planning a destination wedding. We're finalizing our guest list and some questions have come up, hopefully some of you can throw in your two cents. 1) We want to keep guest to no more then 60, how many invites should we send out? 2) There are a few people on the guest list that I know won't be coming to the wedding, should I still send them save the dates and invites? Are you doing something after the wedding to say "Hey! We got married?!" 3) Do I have to include super extended family, like great aunts, cousins and uncles?
    Posted by abigaildeanna[/QUOTE]

<div>I went through this same stress (at least that's what it was for me). Really, we don't want more than 60 people (like you) but after sending invites to our close friends and family we were up to about 100 invitations!! My Mom said not to worry... if more than 60 end up showing up then we will make it work but it's definitely stressful thinking about. Don't you wish you could just tell the future and know exactly how many people would be there? Ahhh if only we lived in a perfect world :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_destination-wedding-guest-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:44ce704b-97af-4ec2-a952-97a9da51d0f3Post:56764d0d-dd01-4dcd-8067-d69d26c0a87f">Re: Destination Wedding Guest List</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Destination Wedding Guest List : I went through this same stress (at least that's what it was for me). Really, we don't want more than 60 people (like you) but after sending invites to our close friends and family we were up to about 100 invitations!! My Mom said not to worry... if more than 60 end up showing up then we will make it work but it's definitely stressful thinking about. Don't you wish you could just tell the future and know exactly how many people would be there? Ahhh if only we lived in a perfect world :)
    Posted by Roy5361[/QUOTE]

<div>Have you already sent out your invites? If so, how many people have you had RSVP? We're hoping for 50-60 people, and thinking about sending no more then 100 invites. :-/</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • no, only save the dates. our wedding isn't until 5.16.13. sorry i couldn't be more help :(
  • I recommend to never over invite past your budget, but you can typically get away with over inviting on capacity a little bit since if the worst case scenario happens, chances are the restaurant can find some place to stick the extra guests even if they're not happy about it.  It's always safest to just not do it though and safe typically equals the least stress.

I don't typically like the idea of courtesy invites; you either invite someone or you don't, don't invite on the assumption they won't come.

Regarding family, we invited friends we see regular over family we never see; i.e. none of my cousins that I last saw when I was 10 years old got invited because I wanted my close friends with me on my wedding day, not to have a family reunion.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Invite only your closest friends n family....send an announcement upon your return. That's what we're doing
  • We invited all family members for my FI side because we don't want the drama. If we just invited one aunt and not the other, it will cost a problem. We know not all of them will come so that's fine. At least we invited them and it's their lost if they don't come. At the same time, no drama and hedache from who got invitation and who didn't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wanted it very small.  Less than 25.  I am not close to anyone in my dad's family, so they weren't invited. I am close to my mom's family, so I invited only my aunts and uncles- no cousins.  Of course my parents and brother and sister will be there.  Also one of my FIs sister and BIL.  It think our total is about 19 as it stands today.

My parents (divorced) want to have a reception where I grew up later in the year.  (not where I live now)    They are inviting my dad's family and my mom's extended family. There will be about 100.

Maybe I'd get flamed by the ettiquette board for the way I did it, but it is my wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards