Wedding Reception Forum

Money Tree

I was just asked if we're having a money tree. When I said no, this person told me to look into it, as being..."totally fun, people love giving cash".

We have a white bird cage that will sit next to the guest book for cards to go into, but other than that......I didn't think beyond. If people want to give us cash gifts, they can put it in there, and that's good, yes?

Do any of you have any experience with a money tree? I think it sounds kind of strange and more like we would be soliciting for money!

Re: Money Tree

• I have definentely heard of this. I am doing the dollar dance where your guest line up and pay to dance with you, your MOH and BestMan take the money at the front of the line. And you dance with each guest for like 1 minute. I did NOT want to do this but my mom is saying its a hispanic tradition and I have to. I do not stand up to my mom!! 
    Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • I agree with you, it would be just a blatant beg for more money. Graciously accept whatever people choose to give you, and do not ask for anything more.

I've never seen one at a wedding. If I did I would absolutely not put anything on it, and I am sure the place would be buzzing with people whispering about how tacky it is.
  • In my experience, people who want to give cash include it in their card.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • People who want go give cash will put it in their card. And I'm pretty sure the dollar dance is a Polish tradition
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_money-tree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:5b2ce4f3-ab61-42aa-8cdf-9027bc149d74Post:69e303d5-d147-4964-adf1-2afc3cb79603">Re: Money Tree</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have definentely heard of this. I am doing the dollar dance where your guest line up and pay to dance with you, your MOH and BestMan take the money at the front of the line. And you dance with each guest for like 1 minute. I did NOT want to do this but my mom is saying its a hispanic tradition and I have to. I do not stand up to my mom!! 
    Posted by jedaniel[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I live in Mexico and have been to a ton of weddings here.  And I've never seen a dollar dance - or a peso dance, for that matter ;) 

Also, my DH is Mexican and this wasn't mentioned when we were planning our wedding.  And believe me, his mom made sure Hispanic customs were incorporated!

So if you're really uncomfortable with this, I would tell your mom that it's not a must-do at Hispanic weddings.  Good luck ;)
  • Never heard of a money tree....doesn't sound great though....
  • if a guests wants to give you cash they'll put it in the card-most adults know to know not to show up with $400 in ssmall bills in their pocket just to hand to you.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_money-tree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:5b2ce4f3-ab61-42aa-8cdf-9027bc149d74Post:9f82733f-7779-462e-9db7-21cf021c83cd">Money Tree</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just asked if we're having a money tree. When I said no, this person told me to look into it, as being..."totally fun, people love giving cash".Posted by tamraj09[/QUOTE]

I want to meet these people who love giving cash
    "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA. Lois, this is not my Batman glass."
  • You know, if you just put a cute l'il poem in front of a money tree it makes it okay to do.  Because cute l'il poems make even the most egregious things okay.  I've taken the liberty of writing a couple for you.  Feel free to use either one, or even both!

A haiku:
    We want your money
    Attach it to this tree now.
    Then you can go home.

Or in iambic pentameter:

We planned this great big wedding
    but we're very short of cash.
    So we've put up a lovely tree
    to help us fund this bash.

Open up your wallet,
    Find the biggest bills you own,
    Now attach them to a branch
    And then you can go home.

For all we really wanted
    was your money, and not you.
    We just could not afford this
    What else were we to do?

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I had a money tree at my High School graduation although it wasn't a wedding my Aunt gave it to me as a gift with money paper clipped to it.. and all day I had guests asking me where they could get paper clips for their money. I dunno about how well it will go over at a wedding though... My family does the dollar dance i thought it was tacky until i started planning my own wedding on a very tight budget. :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_money-tree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:5b2ce4f3-ab61-42aa-8cdf-9027bc149d74Post:1885699a-f2b8-46fe-82b0-44a5db3eb272">Re: Money Tree</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a money tree at my High School graduation although it wasn't a wedding my Aunt gave it to me as a gift with money paper clipped to it.. and all day I had guests asking me where they could get paper clips for their money. I dunno about how well it will go over at a wedding though... My family does the dollar dance<strong> i thought it was tacky until i started planning my own wedding on a very tight budget</strong>. :-)
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]
    How does planning your own wedding make something less tacky?
  • nda_roxy baby

I can't really explain it - I feel like now I have a better understanding of what goes on in planning a wedding. I can sympathize with tamraj with having people express their own wants and requests.
    Now I look at weddings and think thats really like the Bride and Groom but that doesn't really fit them perhaps his or her parents had that on their must have list.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards