Iowa-Des Moines

Caterer

Hi!
I'm getting married in Ames at the CPMI Event Center and really need to find a caterer! All my friends that are getting married recently are using Hickory Park, so I don't really want to. We would rather make our own food to save money, we're on a very small budget, but our venue says that our caterer has to be licensed.. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Caterer

• AleahClarkAleahClark member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too am holding my reception in Ames. Some of the caterers we looked at included Hy-Vee (pretty easy on the budget) and The Cafe (reasonably priced appetizers and boxed meals.)  Hy-Vee seemed pretty hands off, you could probably contract them to provide just part of your meal if you want to save money making some things yourselves.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked into seeing what being a licensed caterer entails?  Does your venue require the caterer to be licensed due to liability issues?  Could you possibly cater your own food if you held liability insurance for the event?
  • McsweetsMcsweets member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are having ours in Boone and need a caterer too - we have the SAME problem with Hickory Park.  There doesn't seem to be much to choose from.  Have you looked at the Radish in Grimes?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I've never heard of the Radish, maybe I'll look that up! I think they want a licensed caterer for liability issues, so I don't know about if we get liability insurance. That's a good question!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you're looking for a downhome buffet-style dinner, I'd check into the Lidderdale Country Store.  It's out of Lidderdale, a tiny town close to Carroll, but they come down to Des Moines for weddings and are VERY reasonably priced.  I'd definitely look into them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards