Wisconsin
Options

Need to Have a Wedding Cake?

FI and I are looking at doing donuts for our dessert with a smaller wedding cake (thinking it would feed 100 people tops) to do the traditional cutting of the wedding cake. Popular opinion though is more people would want wedding cake because its traditional than a donut. We should be having about 250 people max at our wedding which would mean 150 people not get cake. I know we could get an additonal sheet cake but we REALLY like donuts over cake. Is wedding cake necessary at a wedding?

FormerlyMsKrop

Re: Need to Have a Wedding Cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    in general do you have to have cake...no

but you should have enough dessert whatever you choose for everyone - so maybe add cookies or pie in the mix to there is a little of everything
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    mmskaricmmskaric member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it you prefer donuts, you should do all donuts. That's totally "acceptable" and cool since it shows what you like vs. what you're supposed to do. There has to be a creative way to do cutting pictures...that's all that traditionalists care about. 

I agree with Jelenny that you need to make sure you have enough for everyone. One concern I would have about having multiple options of things is that some people may take multiple desserts then, especially if they are on display in a buffet. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

If you want donuts, have donuts!  There's no rule that says that you have to do a wedding cake.  But as mmskaric said, I would do all donuts and then have a small traditional cake for you to cut and maybe just serve your head table.  Here's a picture that I found on Martha Stewart Weddings

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Heck, you don't even have to have a small cake for cutting. Be different, cut a doughnut in half and feed each other pieces. Just as cute as cake!

I also think doughnuts would look neat all stacked up like above, you could be very creative with how you stack them! Even put a cake topper on the tallest stack if you wanted to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kropee10kropee10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea more now that the picture of the donut 'cake' was posted!
    FormerlyMsKrop
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the doughnut idea is cute! No cake needed. Maybe instead of the traditional cake cutting time, you and your husband could do a doughnut sharing/ dunking pict. Very fun!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We aren't having a wedding cake at all!  Instead we are having a "cake off".  I found the idea on creditcrunchbride.com.  We are going to ask some guests (who have offered to help and we know love to bake) to bring their very best dessert and our kids are going to "judge" the dessert winner (we will have a little extra gift for them) and then I am making a bunch of other desserts and buying a few little things as well.  It's more like a dessert buffet that way (and I HATE cake anyway so why would I want to eat that on my wedding day?!).  The main thing is just to be sure you have enough dessert for everyone.  Different is in...go with what you like/want.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards