Not Engaged Yet

Dressing for a Theme Wedding (Also PIP)

FI's aunt is getting married. We got the invitation in the mail last week and, at the bottom of the invite, it said that it would be a New Orleans Saints theme (in memory of her son who died last summer at age 21; and the Saints were his favorite team).

Now, last year, another one of FI's aunts got married in a New York Giants themed wedding, because her husband eats, sleeps and breathes the Giants. Their inviations said that Giants attire "is desired but not required".

FI's mother and I were chit chatting yesterday and I mentioned I'd have to get a new dress to wear to the wedding, since my only black dress is long and too heavy for summer, and I don't own any gold (to go with the Saints colors). FI's mom said, "I don't think she expected people to wear the colors, they're not really for summer. Just wear whatever."

But why bother addressing the theme of the wedding if the couple didn't want their guests to wear the appropriate colors? Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Anyone else been to some themed weddings that dictated what you wore? I think it's kind of fun, TBH.

PS: I got a new dess anyway - it was $15 marked down from $60 at Kohl's! It's light and flowy and great for a nighttime wedding in the summer! It's a little too big in the bust, but as long as I wear a black bra it doesn't really matter.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg

Re: Dressing for a Theme Wedding (Also PIP)

• LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Cute dress!

I have only been to one themed wedding that was a disaster in itself. It was on Halloween and we had to wear costumes. Needless to say many family members didn't even go.
    friends tv show funy
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a theme wedding! I think I would probably end up just wearing black -- I wear black everyday, I can't help myself -- and maybe do gold accessories... gold shoes & gold clutch.

PS I like your dress!!!!!

• SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

That dress is very pretty!

And I've never been to a themed wedding.

IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • edited December 2011
    Love, Love, LOVE that dress you got!!!

I would say you could tie in the team colors as accents to your outfit. Maybe add some some gold and/or white jewelry or shoes? I've never been to a theme wedding. You could also do a fun gold & white flower pin in your hair or something. IDK....
  • edited December 2011
    oooooo.... Like this one!

There are some cute ones on this site: http://viemoderne.bigcartel.com/category/hair-clips

ETA: I also think you could easily make something like this with flowers/feathers, hot glue and a barrette from a craft store for a lot less $$$!
  • edited December 2011

Thanks for the dress compliments, y'all! I love the old Hollywood glamour look and this dress totally reminds me of it.

I'm definitely going to borrow some gold stuff from my mom - I don't own a damn thing that's gold! So next time I see her I'm going to raid her closet and jewelry box for gold things.

cde - I would think a Halloween wedding would be a blast!

rdr - black is always my standby! Most of my clothes are black anyway ;)

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a themed wedding either.

bside - also check out Forever XXI's jewelry section. Most of the stuff there is $4 or $5.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_dressing-theme-wedding-also-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:ea1efd12-2161-4b95-abb1-ff319ca22aecPost:f1c50db8-43ef-43ee-b7ee-2690816cb380">Re: Dressing for a Theme Wedding (Also PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]bside - also check out Forever XXI's jewelry section. Most of the stuff there is $4 or $5.
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I really don't like gold jewelry, which is why I don't own it. I don't want to buy stuff I'm only going to wear one time! I'm better off just borrowing my mom's stuff =)

• ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Its very pretty. :)
    I have never been to a theme wedding, but it seems to follow logic that one would try to dress in the appropriate theme.  Maybe your mom was told that so she wouldn't feel pressured.  A lot of older people may not want to do this?  I just get that feeling from what your mom said.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a theme wedding-I think it kind of sucks to make your guests go out a buy something special just for your wedding. This one doesn't sound too bad though, since black and gold are generally colors people have in their wardrobe.

I'd probably go to H&M or Clarie's and buy some super cheap gold stuff to go with it...the jewelry there is seriously like $3, and at least you'd be able to pick something your style/that goes with the dress, even if you never wear it again.

The dress is super cute!
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I love your dress!

I've never been to a themed wedding, but I would totally jazz it up with gold accessories.  Especially if you can do a clutch.  :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I love your dress!  My uncle had a Halloween themed wedding on October 31st 2010.  We all wore costumes. 

I was little red riding hood

DK was a Power Ranger

Everyone had a blast and even the bride and groom dressed up as zombies!  It seems like less fun if there is a theme that people don't adhere to IMO. 
    Daisypath Vacation tickers 4 Leaf Clover
  • edited December 2011
    Sparrow, that's super fun! I think Halloween weddings sound great. I don't know if I would want to go to a wedding that's actually on Halloween - maybe a day or two before - but still. But I love how the bride and grom got into it!

Aw man, now I'm all brainstormy on what I would do for a hypothetical Halloween wedding. Candy buffet FTW! You could have a ton of fun with that theme.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards