Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Keg=Klassy?

I have somewhat of a redneck question, so please forgive.
We are providing our own alcohol at the Filter Building. It is going to be VERY casual, and both FI and I grew up in very small towns, so needless to say, we're not exactly having a high-brow wedding.
My dad suggested having bottles of wine, bottles of domestic beer, stuff to make our cocktail (sweet tea vodka and lemonade), and a keg of Dos XX. Dos XX is a favorite beer amongst the group, and would no doubt be left empty at the end of the night. My dad and his friends love nothing more than an excuse to buy a keg of Dos XX.
The question is, is this going to be more trouble than its worth? We will have TABC bartenders serving all of the drinks, so it won't be a 'free pour' situation. I truly don't mind having matching Solo cups at the wedding (they come in like, EVERY color!), I'm just wondering if this is going to work out?

TIA!

Re: Keg=Klassy?

• Options
    We did this at my sorority sister's wedding at the Cotton Mill. I think we had two kegs of Dos XX and Shiner (cause we are in Texas y'all). Totally awesome and efficient. TABC bartenders shouldn't have an issue with this- they didn't at hers (and the boys even did a kegstand... oy). 
  • Options
    arco13arco13 member
    First Comment
    I can't imagine why not. It's your wedding, and it should fit you and your family how you like. It sounds like no one there would have any problem with it, so who cares if the internet says its "not classy." You're actually making me wish I was having mine at a byob venue so we could ALSO have a keg. (Then again, we will be having amazing amazing margaritas. I feel better now.)

But I can't see any reason why that would be a problem.
  • Options
    We were consudering a keg, but our venue prefers we use bottles. We also have a couple older guests who would prefer bottles. Do we're going with bottles or cans.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We had 2 klassy kegs (one Miller Lt and one Shiner), and our venue provided pint glasses to serve it in. Despite doubts that we would make a dent in the kegs, we floated both of them within the 4 hour reception. I did hold back enough to not do a keg stand, but did opt to slam half of the last pitcher before we departed. I think it is a way better idea than serving bottles, and in comparison we paid less.
  • Options
    I love all the klassy keg supporters!
    We have such an array of beer drinkers other than Dos XX that we will need a wide variety of bottles.
    Unfortunately for FI, I don't know how well a keg of PBR would go over.
    My little hipster (swoon)....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_kegklassy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:6de97603-8bf8-4f29-9587-d98b26f0634cPost:b6c8f5bd-b25f-413c-8beb-235ecd670709">Re: Keg=Klassy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love all the klassy keg supporters! We have such an array of beer drinkers other than Dos XX that we will need a wide variety of bottles. Unfortunately for FI, I don't know how well a keg of PBR would go over. <strong>My little hipster (swoon)....
    </strong>Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

A hipster from Harrison?  Bahahahaha.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_kegklassy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6de97603-8bf8-4f29-9587-d98b26f0634cPost:e7cd283c-b7a7-4623-87d3-ed7a7a562d24">Re: Keg=Klassy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Keg=Klassy? : A hipster from Harrison?  Bahahahaha.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I'm not lying, you should see his AR driver's license (circa 2000) and his CA driver's license (circa 2010). It's like a before and after promo shot for Urban Outfitters and Salvation Army.
  • Options
    arco13arco13 member
    First Comment
    Aw, mine loves PBR too (but he loved it BEFORE it was cool ;)

You could do XX, a light beer, and one darker or specialty craft beer as kegs if it would save on buying a lot of bottles-that should be able to appease the majority.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_kegklassy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6de97603-8bf8-4f29-9587-d98b26f0634cPost:84012be9-70c1-4b39-ab9e-be66c8dcdbae">Re: Keg=Klassy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aw, mine loves PBR too (but he loved it <strong>BEFORE it was cool</strong> ;) You could do XX, a light beer, and one darker or specialty craft beer as kegs if it would save on buying a lot of bottles-that should be able to appease the majority.
    Posted by arco13[/QUOTE]

According to FI, it's not 'cool' it's 'ironic'
    BAHAHAHHAA OK he doesn't take himself that seriously but we give him a hard time.
  • Options
    jmp2004jmp2004 member
    First Comment
    PBR is the only beer FI will drink.  Kinda glad he's not the only one.  I'm a Shiner gal, myself. :)

And go for the keg!
  • Options
    If we'd chosen a different venue, we'd have had kegs of beer behind the bar and rented pint glasses to serve it in. Guests wouldn't have known unless they really watched the bartenders (and even then, I'm not sure anyone I know would care).

But the YWCA (my venue) didn't allow kegs because they might damage their floors (I think that was their reason).
  • Options
    I'm down with kegs.  I can't really see anything wrong with it so long as it fits the guests and the reception.  I'd just be happy there was beer, and honestly, I think it usually tasted better out of a keg and would prefer it that way. 
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    arco13arco13 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_kegklassy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6de97603-8bf8-4f29-9587-d98b26f0634cPost:67adaaea-84e6-4f13-ba7a-6154f7f64bb8">Re: Keg=Klassy?</a>:
    [QUOTE] honestly, I think it usually tasted better out of a keg and would prefer it that way. 
    Posted by angelsong21[/QUOTE]

I agree, a lot of people prefer something on tap over bottles.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards