Wedding Reception Forum

Fatherless Bride...How to do Parent Dance?

I'm in a 'unique' situation, as I don't have a real father (mother divorced twice, no father figure growing up, etc.) and I'm confused on how to do the 'parent' dance. Since my fiance wants to have that moment with his mother...what will I do during their dance? (And I'm not AT ALL close with my mother...so dancing with her is out). Ideas? 

Re: Fatherless Bride...How to do Parent Dance?

• Do you have a close uncle or a grandfather?  Or what about FFIL?  Or, you could dance with your hubbie and the he could dance with his mom while you have a glass of wine.

No, that's not my real name. And FH's name isn't Nun (as in Nun ya bidness) either.
  • It's absolutely fine to skip one parent dance and not the other.  We didn't have any parent dances.
  • We did our first dance and then a father/daughter dance.  Dh and his mother are close, but they didn't want to do a mother/son dance, so we just skipped it.  Our guests were probably happy that it was one less dance to sit through.  
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Just skip it unless there is a male father figure type in your life that you would want to have a spotlight dance with.  If you can't think of anyone, don't do it.  Your FI can still dance with his Mom.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DIL's dad passed away when she was a child.  She wouldn't have dreamed of keeping my son and me from having our dance when they were married, though.

So we did ours.  It was fine.  If you don't have a brother/uncle/grandpa/godfather with whom you'd like to dance, just have the mother/son dance and open the floor to all your guests.

And follow CMGr's advice should you just have the m/s dance.  Because it's very, very good advice.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Thanks for all of the great insight! I don't have any grandfather/brother/uncle/godparent that I am close with, but I know how important the Mother/Son dance is to my FMIL. I didn't want to just stand and watch (I think it could make me sad) but I think that's really the only option! Thanks again for the tips!
  • I am in the same boat.  My mother is walking me down the aisle.  What little relationship  I had with my father compleltey dissolved the last few years.  Im still debating on even inviting him.  My brother in law is the only person I would even consider.  He has been the only postive male influence in my life, but im not sure hes the whole daughter dance type.  I think i will just let him dance with his mom and we'll call it good
  • whit6 i agree. I have really no relationship w/ my father but he is still in my life. I don't even want him to walk me down the aisle but my mom of course wants me to. however for the father/daughter dance i do not want to do w/ him at all. but i want my fi to be able to dance w/ his mom...solution: skip father/daughter hahaha.
  • A brother, cousin or uncle is always an option. You could also think about dancing with your father-in-law. It would symbolize the "new" family you are creating and the connection being made with him.
  • TRY NOT TO FRET. I'M NOT HAVING BOTH OF MY PARENTS ATTENDING MY WEDDING BUT HAVE OPT FOR MY FMIL TO DANCE WITH ME SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE OUR STLYE INSTEAD THEN SHE GETS TO HAVE BOTH A SPECIAL MOMENT WITH US BOTH.IF YOU ARE NOT CLOSE TO HER HAVE A DANCE WITH THE BEST MAN AT THE WEDDING
  • Are you walking yourself down the aisle? My bro is walking me down, I suppose I could dance with him... I was just going to skip it all together. My fiance and MIL would still dance, and Id just watch. Usually the mother/son father/daughter dances are seperate anyway so the other person would be sitting or socializing anyway. Good luck I wish you the best!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards