• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
June 2010 Weddings

Ceremony Music Help!

I have no idea what music to use for our ceremony! The woman at the church who is in charge of all the weddings handed me a HUGE document (about 6 pages) asking all sorts of questions about the ceremony and I have no idea when it comes to the music. Any suggestions where to look? or What you used?

-Becky

Re: Ceremony Music Help!

• Do you know what you're going to do as far as what kind of group you want to have play?  What's your budget for the musicians, if you don't mind me asking?
  • We honestly hadn't thought about doing musicians at the ceremony.... Should we consider it?
  • Oooh, no only if you want to!  If it's in a church it could be nice to have the organist play, maybe with a trumpet or something, but I'm biased since I'm a musician!  Smile  So you're thinking to play a cd or something right?
  • Yeah, most likely a CD. Whenever I thought about our wedding ceremony music wasn't something I had thought through....
  • did the church lady tell you what kind of cd-playing capability they have? like, who stands up there and presses play for your different songs? i am having that issue with my venue.

at a church it is nice to have the organist. i also like classical guitar.
  • You gotta pick what's important to you, FI and I are both brass musicians so we splurged for a brass quintet (made up of our former teachers) for the ceremony, and saved other places.  If it's not a priority for you then definitely do a CD!

I'm pretty biased and traditional when it comes to music, so I'd play something classical.  You want to use it to set the mood and to be a reflection of your relationship, so you gotta decide what kind of atmosphere you'd like at your ceremony and go from there.
  • They have a huge sound system/ Multi-media thing going for them at the church. It's a super modern church... kind of like Jesus in HD.... We paid a fee for someone to deal with all the music stuff at the church if I recall right
  • B-Rad that's exactly what I'm doing. No matter what we have to pay for a technician to be there so why not use him? My church "highly discourages the use of CDs" but they're not paying for the musicians right? Right. So, we don't have room in our budget for it and are playing a CD.

I know this may sound weird.. but did you register at Bed Bath and Beyond? They sent us a wedding CD with all instrumental music on it when we registered. I think we're just going to use a song from it because my church won't let us have any secular music or anything during the ceremony. It came with two so our music for when the guests are seating and everything may be the other disk we decided not to use.

"I love you.. even when you're sick and look disgusting!" -Love Actually
    My Planning Bio
  • Burns- Yeah I did register at BB&B but no music CD for us :-( I've been searching on i-tunes since I posted and everything I find I feel like is really cheesy and I have no idea what I'm really looking for. Like what makes a song more for BMs and GMs walking down the aisle and what makes it more for walking down the aisle?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2010-weddings_ceremony-music-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:591Discussion:64810c7c-b0f1-4285-82e6-ba6bfca99bbcPost:c8e26c2f-48b8-42aa-a3c5-0aeaafc451bd">Re: Ceremony Music Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE] It's a super modern church... kind of like Jesus in HD....
    Posted by Mrs.B.Rad[/QUOTE]

LOL!!
  • haha I have NO idea.. especially in a church that won't allow secular music. I definitely DO NOT want the traditional bride song.. I do like Canon in D, which seems to be popular in movies, etc.
    "I love you.. even when you're sick and look disgusting!" -Love Actually
    My Planning Bio
  • I do like Canon in D... I saw this one song and they keep listing it as something "In a G String" and I can't help but be a little bit of a school girl and laugh....
  • Here is what we are using.  I also included the composer.   It is all being played on piano/organ, but I found all of these songs on i-tunes, also!  Hope this helps!
    Honor Candle Lighting - Air, from Suite No. 3 - Bach
    Seating of honored Guests - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring - Bach
    Bridesmaids - Canon in D - Pachelbel
    Processional - Bridal Chorus - Wagner
    Unity Candle - The Prayer - Sager & Foster
    Recessional - The Wedding March - Mendelssohn
  • Thanks Jenna! That's super helpful to see what other people are doing
  • We are using Pachelbel's canon in D (all strings), for the ceremony.  Good luck with finding the perfect song.  :-)
  • A good place to look for inspiration is the Music Board on TK.  Their MOD, kls, has a few lists of songs in her bio.  And there are so many brides with the same questions as you.  (Not that I mean don't ask here.  Not at all.  I know you will get great songs here... but just wanting to expand your choices.)

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance

Good luck!
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • I was stressed about this last week.  I found this website online.  http://www.myweddingmusic.com/index.asp

For prelude we are using Forever in Love by Kenny G and Falling in Love by the O'Neill Brothers
    For Processional I will be walking in to Canon in D (piano version) - I started crying when I heard this song, as I do whenever I hear it at a wedding.
    When we do our sand ceremony we will play, "History in the Making" by Darius Rucker - we are including my FI's daughters and all of us love this song.  And I love the words. 
    For the Recessional - I thought about Trumpet Voluntary by Clarke or "lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Calait. 

• I don't know if you've seen the movie Love Actually, but I absolutely love the Glasgow Love Theme and the Portuguese Love Theme.  I also really want to use All You Need is Love as the recessional even if I won't have musicians that pop out of the audience.  Okay, so it might be a bit obsessed with this movie.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards