Florida-North Florida

Colors? How do you pick?

So I've exhausted the wonders of 'google'.

I just don't know how to pick colors. I do know I want a light pink involved.. we are going for something soft, light, spring, romantic. So.. how do I pick the other color(s)?? How did you guys decide?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Colors? How do you pick?

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was an outdoor wedding so I knew I didn't want to compete with nature.  I looked at a ton of flower pictures and decided on pink and green.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • holthcmholthcm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having the exact same problem picking colors. I am just not a designer by nature. Here is what I have found in my research. It sounds like you are wanting to stay in the warm colors family rather than the cool colors. The warm colors are red, orange, yellow, peach, pink etc. The cool colors are blue, green, violet etc. 1. You can use a monochromatic - one color with different shades. 2.  You can use three colors that are next to each other on a color wheel. 3. You can use opposing colors on the wheel. 4. You can use three colors next to each other with one opposing color. This would be a color opposite to the other three and is called an accent color. 

I think it is important to consider your venue. Don't fight with the natural setting. For example, if your venue is brown and cream don't use black. Also, what is the groom wearing? If he wears a tan suit instead of a black tux, this makes a difference. Finally, decide which colors you absolutely hate. Throw these out of the mix. Then go down to your local hardware (Lowe's, HomeDepo or paint) store and get a bunch of paint samples. Play around with the colors you like and see if you find a combination that you like. Then see if there are flowers that fit this combination. 

This is what I have been doing and it is really helping me to narrow down my options. 

Hope this helps some... 
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went through a bunch of different color schemes before we decided. 

We ended up going with sage green, light pink, and champagne.  Our ceremony was outside in the spring time, so it went perfectly.
  • chickenbut143chickenbut143 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I picked my colors based on flowers i knew i loved and wanted in my wedding - purple hydrangeas and green hydrangeas.  So my colors are lavender (or various shades of light purple) and light green.  :)

Also i noticed that the knot magazine has a ton of color combinations this edition.  I just got mine on Friday, but i'm not sure how long its been out.

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Really whatever colors you want ! What are your favorite colors.
  • edited December 2011
    Finally took forever. But I've decided to go with silver and different shade's of pink. I just hope it looks okay with the boys wearing black tux's.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • RaeilyRaeily member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I let my bridesmaids pick their dresses and we based it off them. Navy Blue and Black.
    January 2013 Moms - February Siggy Challenge - My Valentine
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • megem02megem02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You pick something (like a possession) you really like and go around that. For me I got my wedding shoes first (which were pink) and then my wedding colors were pink and black! Where are you getting married at amh04? 
  • edited December 2011
    I felt the same way! Luckily, mine just fell into place and I didn't really have to "choose." What type of wedding are you having? What kind of feeling do you want to evoke? I personnally LOVE a soft pink with champagne. It's vintagey (is that a word?), elegant, and romantic. If you want something more colorful and springy, you could go with pretty much any bright color (and that is where it gets tricky!). For a suprising contrast, navy is pretty. As some have said previously, take into account your venues. Also, what is your fiancé's fav color? While it could be pink, I doubt it. Maybe you could incorporate that. Good luck! For me, color was by far the hardest decision (so I cheated and escaped making one).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards