Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Professional Make-Up, Worth it or a waste?

Let me just start this off by saying that I do not normally wear any make-up and I consider the idea of having me operate an eyeliner pencil to be about as smart as giving a two year old scissors to do their friend's hair.

As I see it, I have two choices... Choice Number 1 is to have one of my bridesmaids do my make-up and Choise Number 2 is to get it professionally done.  I want to look nice in my pictures, but I still want to look like me so I want something light and natural looking.

What have your experiences been like with professional make-up?  Was it worth it?  About how much does it cost and does anyone have someone they would recommend that would work the Newark, DE area?

Thanks for your input!

Re: Professional Make-Up, Worth it or a waste?

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2010
    For me, professional was the only way to go.  I wanted to relax and be pampered.  Plus I wanted to look fabulous and for that I needed professional help!

My 15 year old daughter was in my wedding and had never worn makeup until my wedding day.  My MUA did a light aibrush application on her and did her makeup exactly the way my daughter asked her to and she looked beautiful and just like herself.
  • Options
    Post on your local board for a better idea of pricing.

But to give you an idea, for a professional MUA in my area it's about $20-40. It can be more if you get somehting done like airbrushing.

I'd say professional is worth it. But I like going to salons and spas and being pampered like that. Maybe you could have one of your BMs try putting makeup on you as a trial and see how you feel about that first? If you love it, then you could go for that if you don't want to get it professionally done.
  • Options
    You should get a trial done with a local MUA to see how they do it and if you like it. I think it'll come down to personal preference -- try a MUA and have the friend apply makeup and see which you like better. I'm doing my own, but I love the way I do my own makeup.
  • Options
    heyimbren-- $20 TO $40??? WHERE DO YOU LIVE???  It's like $100-$250 where cherbein and I are!!! (I'm from her local board) If it was just $20-$40, I'd pay for all 6 of my bridesmaids!! HA!
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    For me, it's totally worth it. I think my combined total for my make-up application, one for my MOH or my mom (depending on if my MOH decides whether or not she wants to do her own) and the cost of having my MUA drive an hour to and from, it's $200. This includes fake lash application and airbrush make-up application as well. I figure for the Southern California/Los Angeles area, that's pretty good.

On my wedding day, I want to be pampered, and I know I'll look my best if I have a pro do my make-up. I always smile brighter when I'm feeling pampered lol, is that weird? Haha
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    I'm sure friends or family can do it :o) I'd save the money :D
  • Options
    I'm going with a MUA on my wedding day. I also want to relax and not worry about it. And I want it to last the whole afternoon and night and look perfect on pictures.
    But if you feel your MOH can do it, go for it. Either way, go for a trial first.
  • Options
    Call me a snob, but I do make up, so I cant have one of my BM's or MOH's do it. I'm too intense about colo choices and what not. I'm having a MUA for that reason. I would do it myself but I think it will be too much to worry and stress about. I just shopped around for a while til I found one closer to my budget. In the DC metropolitan area it's around $100-250. Cost is dependent on false lashes, airbrushing, whether or no you get to keep the make up. Also in this area cost is high due to the sheer amount of celebrity MUA's....anyway I say go for it, It's worth the price. Most places will give you a trial run to make sure it's on point, also most places know the difference between fashion make up and bridal make up...the point with bridal make up is to make you a more glamourous you. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    January-January Siggy Challenge "Wedding Bands"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    167 Invited image 147 Ready to pary image 20 Missing the fun image 0 Slacking on responding image RSVP Date: December 1st, 2010
  • Options
    What about Choice #3: don't wear make up?  I haven't worn make up in years, and I didn't wear it on my wedding day. My photographer said he was happy with my choice. I think I still looked beautiful in the pictures. Personnally, I don't believe that you "need" make up to look beautiful on your wedding day. If that were true, then they would tell our grooms to wear it too!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_professional-up-worth-waste?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:ada0c862-4274-4dd9-a0dc-3025d71c5b4bPost:8118bde5-3c7e-4082-8342-068c71746cc5">Re: Professional Make-Up, Worth it or a waste?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about Choice #3: don't wear make up?  I haven't worn make up in years, and I didn't wear it on my wedding day. My photographer said he was happy with my choice. I think I still looked beautiful in the pictures. Personnally, I don't believe that you "need" make up to look beautiful on your wedding day. If that were true, then they would tell our grooms to wear it too!
    Posted by beamer84[/QUOTE]

Of coures, nobody "needs" to wear makeup, but if OP wants to wear makeup on her wedding day there's no problem with that either.

People should do whatever they're comfortable with. Some girls feel better with makeup, some feel better totally natural. It doesn't make one more beautiful than the other.
  • Options
    I wanted to have a professional but my trials didn't look good on me...so I would have a trial and at least see how you like it and go from there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards