Wedding Etiquette Forum

Unpopular Opinion Friday

I'm officially ripping off the bump (or was it the nest? Oh well)

List your unpopular opinions here.

Mine:
-I think gaps are fine and I feel rushed if there isn't one.
-I hate sushi.
-I prefer my wine to taste like fruit juice.
-I'm one of those people who judge rich people at first glance (or at least snobby people, I guess I can't really tell if they're rich or not) even though I have a relatively large trust fund.

I'll try to think of better ones, sorry for the lame start.
Leo says hi. He's...special.
Married
Planning

Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday

• I don't like Conan.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:dcfa9785-b93f-4a8e-b21d-2909e8d1cbc5">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't like Conan.
    Posted by JK10910[/QUOTE]

(hugs)

I think Jay Leno is funny.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • - I'm pretty sure the people who are so quick to spout off the "you only get one day" party line and tell a reasonable person she has no right to be upset did not, in fact, have a family member pick a wedding date two weeks before their own.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:dcfa9785-b93f-4a8e-b21d-2909e8d1cbc5">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't like Conan.
    Posted by JK10910[/QUOTE]
    Ditto.

I also think Leno is getting just about as bad a rap as Conan is, but I think he's taking the higher road  by not completely ripping anyone to shreds over it.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I'll bite on this one since H works tonight...

The people who are all wringing their hands after the earthquake beucase Haiti doesn't have any fresh drinking water, etc, need to pay more and are irritating me.

Most of the country didn't have fresh drinking water on the day BEFORE the earthquake.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is more of a confession, but sometimes I sit back while reading posts and try to figure out which marriages will last and which will end based on my limited knowledge. I'm not naming names, so don't even ask, because that is just too mean even for me, but it's become an interesting hobby.
    Married
    Planning
  • I love Twilight like whoa. That's an unpopular opinion around here, no? ;)
  • I hate lol cat speak. It makes me cringe.
  • I don't think that, just because the parents of the bride or groom are paying for the wedding, said parents should get to make all of the decisions about the wedding, ignoring the bride's or groom's preferences.
  • I think that having a shuttle for your guests is a complete waste of money. People defend it saying that it keeps their friends from driving drunk, but the shuttle is going to take them home. They'll still have to drive.

I also think that bathroom baskets are wasteful, too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:e3b7a617-61ce-4048-85b3-7d5a5cdf935a">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is more of a confession, but sometimes I sit back while reading posts and try to figure out which marriages will last and which will end based on my limited knowledge. I'm not naming names, so don't even ask, because that is just too mean even for me, but it's become an interesting hobby.
    Posted by tlv204[/QUOTE]
    This is exactly why I rarely, if ever, discuss any marital issues we may have. I dont want to be judged, and I dont want biased information thrown back in my face later (not that you do that, but people here do).
  • I don't think you need to wash your hair every day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think there should be some kind of mandatory birth control for all girls from the time they start menstruating until they are adults (18).  And/or boys if they could figure that out.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Illegal immigrants who then reap benefits of being in the US make me angry.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:f2acb143-143b-48f5-9b89-b6a3203a9c8a">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]- I'm pretty sure the people who are so quick to spout off the "you only get one day" party line and tell a reasonable person she has no right to be upset did not, in fact, have a family member pick a wedding date two weeks before their own.
    Posted by temerityjane[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I try and let the poster know her feeling are vaild, but in the end there really isn't anything they can do about it IRL without looking like a brat. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:1aa7ec88-b4e0-47f2-b6b5-de5085b171ef">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think that, just because the parents of the bride or groom are paying for the wedding, said parents should get to make all of the decisions about the wedding, ignoring the bride's or groom's preferences.
    Posted by sarabellam[/QUOTE]

Just because this ISN'T FFF and we are therefore allowed to argue with each other, I want to comment on this one. I completely agree with you that the parents shouldn't necessarily make all of the decisions. However, I also don't think that a bride should take ten grand from her parents just to have a DW and not even invite the family. I guess to me it really depends on how the money is given. If the parents say "here is money, spend it how you see fit," then clearly the bride and groom get to plan.  If the parents are really and truly traditionally hosting the wedding, and it is, after all, their money, why the eff shouldn't they get a say in how it is spent? I'm not going to fork over a crap load of money for a friend's birthday party then let the friend plan a party that no one but her would enjoy and that I find classless and tacky, so why would a wedding be any different?
    Married
    Planning
  • What Pat Robertson said was ass backwards, off base, and incredibly insensitive. But I will defend his right to free speech (no matter how ridiculous) til the day I die.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:3d584847-aab7-45f7-b3cf-7b8f0b64e653">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think there should be some kind of mandatory birth control for all girls from the time they start menstruating until they are adults (18).  And/or boys if they could figure that out.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]
    I personally think it should be in place until the person can prove they are financially and mentally capable of raising a child in a safe and healthy environment.
  • Thank you CEW!  I hate hate hate lol cat speak, and I don't get it, either - is it supposed to be like the cat is the one talking?  Bugs me. 

TR, I agree.  I know it completely violates every single civil right I stand for, but . . . yeah. 

My unpopular opinion:  I hate strip clubs and the thought of my fi going to one bugs the hell out of me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:a55ee9dd-47ae-4517-951d-14b2e0617b49">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love Twilight like whoa. That's an unpopular opinion around here, no? ;)
    Posted by alixzafiris[/QUOTE]

It appears to be sometimes, but I'm riding on your train as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2013 Books Read 11/52
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:f2acb143-143b-48f5-9b89-b6a3203a9c8a">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]- I'm pretty sure the people who are so quick to spout off the "you only get one day" party line and tell a reasonable person she has no right to be upset did not, in fact, have a family member pick a wedding date two weeks before their own.

I disagree. I'm of the opinion that you only get one day and I didn't hear about another family/friend/aquaintance wedding within six months of ours. I mean sure, be grumpy about it for like... a day, but don't b!tch and whine about it, that makes you sound petulant and only serves to make you feel worse than you would if you shrugged it off and went "oh well, I know mine will be awesome anywys...", and if you're still at the stage in life where you have tempur tantrums, you're not ready to be in a committed relationship.
  • I don't think honeymoon registries are bad if they are done with a legitimate company, and the money is used to fund extras. I would rather fund a sunset dinner on the beach for someone, than give them more shiit they don't need.

I don't care about gaps.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:8db46979-62bb-48ec-a75b-b5b364f45dc6">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Illegal immigrants who then reap benefits of being in the US make me angry.
    Posted by kate51485[/QUOTE]

Wow, you must live in Texas. That's the way we feel here.

I'm not an overly conservative thinker, but this does bother me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:29dc2756-0134-45a0-a5ae-74381fb7af73">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll bite on this one since H works tonight... The people who are all wringing their hands after the earthquake beucase Haiti doesn't have any fresh drinking water, etc, need to pay more and are irritating me.   Most of the country didn't have fresh drinking water on the day BEFORE the earthquake.
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

good point.  At the rate the donations are pouring in, it was surpass Haitis GNP.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If you don't like the first wedding dress you buy, I think you should suck it up and wear it anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w

No, but my two best friends and I all got married within a month of each other...

Suppose that doesn't count because, you know, we're just BFFs and not blood relatives.  AND we were in each other's weddings.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:468b7b5c-497f-4e69-8525-869f3a72f1d8">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday : It appears to be sometimes, but I'm riding on your train as well.
    Posted by SnShne322[/QUOTE]

*happy-dance*
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:e3b7a617-61ce-4048-85b3-7d5a5cdf935a">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is more of a confession, but sometimes I sit back while reading posts and try to figure out which marriages will last and which will end based on my limited knowledge. I'm not naming names, so don't even ask, because that is just too mean even for me, but it's become an interesting hobby.
    Posted by tlv204[/QUOTE]

I don't do that necessarily, but it often crosses my mind that a good amount of our marriages won't last. But if I had to take a stab in the dark at to whose, I might be willing to do it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinion-friday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8fdcef65-d9a2-41d0-bd0e-a6f33aff5e04Post:a757f4d7-c8d5-430a-883a-bd723630d1e8">Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinion Friday : Just because this ISN'T FFF and we are therefore allowed to argue with each other, I want to comment on this one. I completely agree with you that the parents shouldn't necessarily make all of the decisions. However, I also don't think that a bride should take ten grand from her parents just to have a DW and not even invite the family. I guess to me it really depends on how the money is given. If the parents say "here is money, spend it how you see fit," then clearly the bride and groom get to plan.  If the parents are really and truly traditionally hosting the wedding, and it is, after all, their money, why the eff shouldn't they get a say in how it is spent? I'm not going to fork over a crap load of money for a friend's birthday party then let the friend plan a party that no one but her would enjoy and that I find classless and tacky, so why would a wedding be any different?
    Posted by tlv204[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  I don't agree with parents dictating every aspect of the wedding ignoring the bride and grooms desires and wishes, but at the same time, the bride and groom shouldn't do that to the parents either.

My unpopular opinion is that second ceremonies don't bother me much.  If the first ceremony was a legal marriage at the courthouse with a few witnesses, then I have very little problem with the couple doing a blowout religious ceremony at some point later.  Provided there was a very good reason the couple needed to get legally married, and the second ceremony has a much more spiritual/religious nature.</div>
  • I hate movie and TV quotes.  They irritate the everloving shiit outta me.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards