Honeymoon Discussions

Can you do USVI for $2500 or less? And other suggestions

It's pretty much all in the title. We had been thinking about going to St. Thomas/St. John and then we had to reduce our honeymoon budget (FI lost job). We plan to go for 6 nights and would prefer an AI (I've heard food on USVI is expensive).

On the same note, I'm also taking suggestions for caribbean destinations that would fit in our budget. We want somewhere with a relaxing atmosphere and pretty beaches but also some other things we can do (watersports, hiking, sight seeing, golfing, etc). We're not into drinking/partying so nightlife is not a priority at all.

"When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis

Re: Can you do USVI for $2500 or less? And other suggestions

• You might be able to do it, but it would be a stretch.  We went to St Thomas for a vacation (that ended up being when we got engaged) and airfare alone was almost $400 a person.  Food is expensive, but we rented a condo that had a kitchen and we tried to eat there as much as possible.  The condo rental for 8 days was (if I remember correctly) somewhere around $3000.  You'd also need to keep in mind the ferry fee if you decide to go to St. John as well as a fee to rent a car/take taxis if you stay on the island. 

I will say, though, that I LOVED St. Thomas and St. John and would definitely recommend it, especially Sapphire Beach.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• there are no AI on st john. if you're not into drinking you may want to rethink the AI option. food there isn't expensive imo unless you go to an expensive restaurant.

but seeing as your FI has lost his job i'd put planning a HM on the back burner until he finds one. no reason to go on vacay if one fo you isn't working.

• Have you considered doing a Caribbean cruise instead of staying on an island?  By doing a cruise it will be AI and since your not into drinking you won't have to worry about the added expense of a drink package.  You will also be able to see multiple islands instead of just one and have a chance when you dock to do some watersports, shopping, sight seeing, etc.

And not sure exactly where in Florida you live, but you could easily drive to the closest port to catch your cruise so you wouldn't have to worry about paying for any airline tickets which will save you a considerable amount as well.

Finally, check out Travelzoo to see if they have any great deals.

• I have been to St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands for under that amount before. We stayed at an AI as well and it was amazing. St. Croix is def. more private and rural than the other islands, but I remember thinking it was perfect for a HM because the beach was so secluded.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I agree that if you're not a big drinker, an AI isn't likely a good bargain for you -- you're really just subsidizing the super heavy drinkers at that point.
    Lizzie
  • me and my FH are ganna be going to Bermuda. all the beauty of any other carribeian island but way cheaper! everyone is so superstitious about "the Bermuda triangle" that hotel say there is alot cheaper than the other carribeian islands. Lots of beaches, pink sand, plenty of nice restaurants that wont break the bank (ive spent a lot of time researching) Public transportation, taxi's, and bike rentals.
  • You should think about a cruise.  I recently went on a Carnival cruise that stopped at St. Thomas and we had a great time!  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Bermuda is not cheaper than the caribbean.  That is a sweeping generalization and untrue.

OP, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and Bahamas are all reasonably priced options. I've been to all three.  I'm going to Rivera Maya in October for the first time. There are a lot of options in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, and elsewhere along the Mayan Riviera.
  • You can definitely do Jamaica for that amount.  You can do a private cottage on the gorgeous cliffs in Negril.  I just posted about two spots I love there.

Look up Xtabi and Rockhouse.   We have stayed at Xtabi twice and you can get a great rate for a week.  Also - if you pay cash (trav checks) upon check in versus credit card, they give you a major discount.  Breakfast is included which is incredible and you can eat in Jamaica CHEAP for incredible food.  LIke literally 10US for lobster, 5US for amazing Jerk Chicken, fresh seafood, etc...  $2US for beef patties, etc...  Laid back, relaxing, beautiful and inexpensive honeymoon.

We are thinking of going AGAIN for ours.  We have been all over the caribbean and it's hard to beat Negril.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lechillura - I just checked out Xtabi and the prices are amazing! Do you know how far it is from a sandy beach with public access though? I like the views from those cliffs, but we want to be able to lay on the beach too!
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards