Chit Chat

Does the groom's name EVER come first?

Forgive me for such simple questions, but I have no clue.

Is there ever a time when a groom's name would come first with anything wedding related?
Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride

Re: Does the groom's name EVER come first?

• It can come first on anything you want it to....what is the problem?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was under the impression that you generally put the bride's name first on things like invitations, save the dates, etc. I was simply wondering if etiquette called for the groom's name to be first. I realize that as a human with the power of free choice, I could do anything I want. :)

I guess my question is general, not over a specific thing.
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

July 2011 Bride
  • It's not about bride and groom, etiquette is "ladies first" on most things.
    Married 10/2/10
  • For invitations, if only the groom's family is hosting I think putting the groom's name first would be ok.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their son
    John Smith
    to
    Jessica Jones

Generally speaking though, you are right.  Put the bride's name first unless you have an unusual reason why it would not.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My Fi asks the same thing... bu I don't know... I feel with generations before us a lot of time married couples end up being Mr & Mrs. John Smith... I've even seen this at recent wedding receptions. 
    My question is... why do you ask? 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you are talking about invitations, I don't think I have ever seen it done with the guys name first. For thank-you's you can be less formal and write your name first and them his. I know I have been doing that on some of ours.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_grooms-name-ever-come-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:16fb8214-4271-4bdd-b68a-1cc296630048Post:75780ded-ca23-48b7-b6b6-4b29bae39e69">Re: Does the groom's name EVER come first?</a>:
    [QUOTE] My question is... why do you ask? 
    Posted by JeFlanigan[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I have zero-zilch-nada (get the picture?) background knowledge on the planning of weddings.  lol :) I have never helped anyone plan a wedding, I have never even been in a wedding in my adult life.  I am, however, a DIY type of girl. I will be doing most of the wording of EVERYTHING on everything. I just did not want to do something out of the ordinary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

July 2011 Bride
  • Ahhh!  Good answer, I was just curious.  With things like that... the girls on the DIY forum might be able to help too.  (Or at least see where you're coming from.  I'm sitting here going... "why?  there's got to be more to this question."  But good luck! 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • At the tux shop, I think they are putting my fiance's last name first which makes sense since most of the tux rentals are GM.  I figure let my name go first now, since I will be taking his name and we will be  using his name for the rest of our lives!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • my impression is that the girl's name should come first on everything. the whole ladie's first idea. but it's up to you guys and what you're comfortable with. i don't think when they receive the invitation that anyone would flinch either way you wrote it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_grooms-name-ever-come-first?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:16fb8214-4271-4bdd-b68a-1cc296630048Post:62047056-584a-4462-a4af-85eb4e0fe4e9">Does the groom's name EVER come first?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Forgive me for such simple questions, but I have no clue. Is there ever a time when a groom's name would come first with anything wedding related?
    Posted by AmberMarieTX[/QUOTE]

Since my parents are paying for the entire wedding, my name will be before FIs on the invites. However, our STDs have a cartoon bride and groom and since the groom is on the left, we put FIs name first on that (PIB).

Although etiquette says that the brides name goes first, you can switch it up if you want. There is no rule saying you cannot put the grooms name first.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
  • My name was first on the invites but that was about it. Our names sound fine both ways but for everything else I put his name first. My reasoning is kinda pathetic but here it is, I thought it looked better with his name first ( Jason) and my name second (vanessa) because of alphabetical order. Embarassed I really can't explain my thought process =)
  • No.

/>>There is no rule saying you cannot put the grooms name first.

Of course there is.  The rule says that the man's first name should not be separated from his last name.

So if you are not using Mr./Mrs., you put:
    Kristin and Mark Jones
    or
    Kristin and Mark
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards