Not Engaged Yet

I've lost my mind!

I have been procrastinating on registering for the half marathon I plan on running in February, but I finally did it!  On February 27th, I'll be running 13.1 miles.  Yipes!

Oh man... now the hard stuff begins.  I've just sacrificed every Saturday morning from now through the end of February!  I'll be getting up before the sun and running 5 miles to start, 10 miles by the end of January.  Oh my goodness... what did I get myself into?!

Have any of you ever run a half marathon?  My 5k that I ran on Thanksgiving wasn't really that hard (though I overheated - need to hydrate better).  But to realize that a 10k is twice that, and a half marathon is a little more than twice a 10k... that's a little scary.  Okay, a LOT scary!

If anyone wants to read up on my progress in training, check out neverranamile.wordpress.com

There's a link on the right side of my blog to my fundraising page, if anyone is interested and willing.  I just started today, but I could use all the help I can get.

Anniversary

Re: I've lost my mind!

• edited December 2011
    Congrats! I have always wanted to start running it is just something I have never gotten up the courage to do. Good for you and good luck!!
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Girl, I give you props.  I only run when I'm being chased.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ive-lost-mind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:615d53c2-ddcc-41eb-a754-60d111872374Post:aaba23c9-ed91-450b-9a37-a2006efd6aa9">Re: I've lost my mind!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Girl, I give you props.  I only run when I'm being chased.
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I used to say!  BF is a huge runner - he runs 6 miles a day on average, 4 times per week.  When someone would ask if I ran, I'd tell them that I wouldn't even run if someone was chasing me.

Honestly, it's not for me.  When my friend died from leukemia last November, I swore I was going to get in better shape.  The reasoning was that you can't predict or fully prevent cancer, but you can get yourself in the best possible shape to fight it if it happens.  A full year past, and I was still sitting on my butt.  I can come up with every excuse in the book, but ultimately it still ended up with me being out of shape, unable to climb a set of stairs without losing my breath.

So one day, BF sent me a link to the Disney Princess Half Marathon, joking that the only way I'd exercise was in a tiara while wearing a tutu and running around the Cinderella Castle (there's also a story about us being drunk in Epcot and running through the park after the fireworks to beat the crowds, so he jokes that I'll only run in Disney).  The link he sent me was with Team In Training, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's fundraising endurance training team.  I realized that if I wouldn't get in shape for myself, then I'd do it for my friend.

So now every morning when I want to roll over and sleep in, I remind myself of the red Converse sneakers that are sitting at my friend's grave.  He wore those nearly every day, and all his friends wore them to the funeral.  He can't run anymore, and that's the reason I do.

Anniversary

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You haven't lost your mind.

Just one step at a time, you'll be so happy when you complete this challenge that you've set for yourself. Remember, it's not about how good or bad you do it, it's about completing it.

You can do it!

• edited December 2011
    Aww Cate, your story made me tear up.  I admire your determination.
  • edited December 2011
    Aww Cate! Such wonderful motivation and inspiration! Your story made me tear up a bit! That's awesome that you are doing that!

On a side note, the bf and I are just starting to run, and by that I mean attempting! We're planning on doing a 5k in February... so any advice for someone just starting out?
    ♥ Couldn't Ask For More... Wouldn't Settle For Less ♥ Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    A couple years ago, I started training for a full marathon (though I was a regular runner, so I wasn't starting from nothing).  I was about halfway through the program when I got a knee injury (unrelated to the running) and had to stop.  Anyway, my longest training run at that point had been 11 miles, so it was "close" to half-marathon distance.

It won't be long now (or maybe you're starting to feel this already) before your body starts to "understand" running like you didn't before.  Without really trying, you'll get more efficient, and you'll also start craving a run at totally random times.  You'll start really enjoying it, not just bearing it.  It's pretty amazing

It sounds like you've got a good training program going, but if you ever need any tips or have any questions, feel free to ask.  I've pretty much been running since I was 10, even though I'm ridiculously out of shape right now.
  • becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can do it!  Good luck!  I'd love to run in Disney!

Make sure you take it easy training though and WEAR GOOD SHOES.  I was starting to try to increase my running when my foot went to fruitcake in a handbasket (also known as hell).  So no running for me.  Still trying to work on that with the good ol' podiatrist.
  • becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're not alone Elle, mine went haywire too.  We're pscyhing each other off the boards!

BTW, by take it easy, I meant gradually increase your training and follow a reputable training program. Running a half marathon is going to be a challenge, not a walk in the park.  Even if it is a Disney park! :)
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ive-lost-mind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:615d53c2-ddcc-41eb-a754-60d111872374Post:9f854781-c9cd-4223-ae1f-eb6ab9231917">Re: I've lost my mind!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're not alone Elle, mine went haywire too.  We're pscyhing each other off the boards! BTW, by take it easy, I meant <strong>gradually increase your training</strong> and follow a reputable training program. Running a half marathon is going to be a challenge, not a walk in the park.  Even if it is a Disney park! :)
    Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]

Glad to know it's not just my posts.

You should never increase your total weekly run distance OR your longest run distance by more than 10% any week.  Being overly ambitious is a sure-fire way to get hurt.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Good luck Cate! That's awesome.

I hate running. I did the Bay to Breakers 12k run/walk this year and got the worst blisters ever.  I think it's just not for me.
  • acl2012acl2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's great! One of my roommates is doing the same half marathon in February! She also ran a half marathon not too long ago as kind of a warm up. I know she trains quite a bit and exercises near every day. She loves it though, and she said that once you get past three miles, the rest don't seem too bad. Good luck though! This is truly an awesome cause that you're doing it for.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My dad runs half marathons. He has a training schedule and runs 6 days a week, different distances each day. He always does really well for his age group. PM if you would like to see what his running schedule is like.

• ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can do it!  If my 80 year old friend can walk them, (she does them at least once a month) then you can run them!!!! :D  She is one tough cookie and I believe you are too!!!  I love you reason for doing it.  I am sorry your friend died but you have a great reason to do something you need motivation for.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

edited December 2011
    By the way, Cate, I will happily donate to your fundraising page if you donate to my MS150 (click it) ride when I get my page set up.

It's another great cause!

:)
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Elle, you're definitely on!  My Dad did the MS150 last year, and it was a great event. 

Thanks ladies! 

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ive-lost-mind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:615d53c2-ddcc-41eb-a754-60d111872374Post:2f9d2662-9268-4c98-a7b8-74c1cd867d56">Re: I've lost my mind!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Elle, you're definitely on!  My Dad did the MS150 last year, and it was a great event.  Thanks ladies! 
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I did it last year, too!  Who knows, maybe I drafted on your dad at some point.
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You haven't lost your mind!

I've done quite a bit of racing, but I'm not sure that totally qualifies me to give running advice, but here are my thoughts on it:

Definitely keep your mileage build to ~10% per week.  This includes increases in weekly mileage as well as distance of your "long run."

Your long run shouldn't make up more than 40% of your total weekly mileage.

In order to minimize injury, increase the frequency of your runs instead of running longer then taking more time off for recovery.

Look into Jeff Galloway's run/walk method.  His theory is that taking deliberate walk breaks will help you recovery throughout the race, letting you run longer.

If you don't use the Galloway method, consider getting a heart rate monitor to keep your pace under control.  There are a bunch of online resources for how to use it effectively.

Anyways, long way of saying that you need to manage two stresses from running: time and intensity.  Too much of either and you are setting yourself up for injury.  Good luck with your race and training!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Cate- that is so awesome! I wish I had the determination and dedication to do it myself. I am working on it, so we will see if I can become successful!
    friends tv show funy
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fat chicks don't run.  Seriously, I don't run.  Unless I have to.  Like someone is chasing me with a knife...and even then I'm more likely to turn around and tell them off.

But good job Cate!!

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!  You're so funny - if you think you can't run, check out my blog.  Seriously, I couldn't even jog around a track when I started in September.  Now I just ran a 5k without stopping!  If you have a desire to do it, you can do it!

Leia - I used to get blisters, too.  Then I bought new running shoes that are ideal for my gait (the lady at the store was so patient as I took over 45 minutes trying on shoes and jogging on the treadmill to make sure they were the right fit).  I have Brooks and they're fantastic!  Also, running socks are not to be overestimated.  Thorlos are my best friends!

Elle - my Dad did the race in MA, so chances are not good that you'd run into each other.  But it's an awesome cause!  His client's daughter has MS, so he joined their team.  Biking has been an incredible outlet for a former college athlete whose knees don't work so well anymore.

Schrodinger - I've never heard of the 10% increase limit (on total mileage and longest run).  That's definitely something I'll keep in mind!  And yes, I plan on running the half marathon in intervals (I'm running 3 minutes, walking 1 minute right now, but I hope to do the race in 4 or 5 minutes running for every 1 minute of walking).

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards