Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Ranch or Hummus?

We're having a veggie platter with celery, radishes, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli and cucumbers. Should we have ranch dip or hummus with it?

Re: Ranch or Hummus?

• Why not both?  Hummus offers a more substantial option and is vegan, so if you're picking one or the other, hummus would be my pick.
  • They are both pretty inexpensive, no?  I'd offer both. 
  • The tray we bought is sectioned and there's only one hole for dip. If I were to do both I'd need to go buy another small serving bowl for the other one, and I don't wanna. We have enough left to do as it is, so we're picking one or the other.
  • If you can only choose one I would choose ranch but that's because I hate hummus.
  • I love hummus, but ranch is typically more crowd-friendly.
  • Ranch, only because more people will be more apt to eat ranch then hummus.

• If you had to choose one, then I'd go hummus. 90% of the people I know love it, but it's a great protein source for vegetarians like myself. That way if you're meal isn't so veg friendly, at least they had something. Really, though, why not both?
  • I already answered why not both. It takes an hour to get to Party City by bus, I am in school full time, I work the rest of the time I'm not in school and the wedding is in a week and a half. Seriously, it's not that simple to do at this point and it's not gonna happen. That is why I'm asking. I'm pretty sure none of our 25 guests is vegetarian, let alone vegan, but I will double check with FI on that. Other than veggies and dip we are having cold cuts, shrimp cocktail, cheese and grapes, crackers, mixed nuts, chips with salsa and guac, cake, ice cream, punch, coffee and water. So if there are any vegetarians I am unaware of then hummus would be the better option.
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ranch-or-hummus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e11a290-1dfd-4b61-8ec0-465f0337f83cPost:a2d14c2a-647e-409f-b090-480b0efb2864">Re:Ranch or Hummus?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I already answered why not both. It takes an hour to get to Party City by bus, I am in school full time, I work the rest of the time I'm not in school and the wedding is in a week and a half. Seriously, it's not that simple to do at this point and it's not gonna happen. That is why I'm asking. I'm pretty sure none of our 25 guests is vegetarian, let alone vegan, but I will double check with FI on that. Other than veggies and dip we are having cold cuts, shrimp cocktail, cheese and grapes, crackers, mixed nuts, chips with salsa and guac, cake, ice cream, punch, coffee and water. So if there are any vegetarians I am unaware of then hummus would be the better option.
    Posted by hamsterdance[/QUOTE]
    Slow your roll, girl. You didn't answer that here, so we didn't know. While I'm afraid to ask since it's 1.5wks away, is that all you're serving, or is that just the appetizer round? I'm guessing it's a brunch or early afternoon affair.<div>
    </div><div>ETA: When I say you didn't answer that here, what I meant was that you didn't make it clear that it was 100% not a possibility. I'd just have a friend pick up an extra bowl at Party City or any $1 store, but I can understand that it may be too much to think about right now. Just pick whichever one you like better & be done with it. No need to stress so much over a dip.</div>
  • hamsterdancehamsterdance member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    It's a 3 to 5pm reception in a venue without any kitchen facilities, so yeah, we're not doing a full meal. Personally I think that's still a lot of damn food, and I likely will not be wanting for dinner that evening, but that's just me. I'm not really stressing about it so much as I don't have any real preference so I was wondering if one option would generally be more popular than the other. FI has confirmed that there will be no vegns in attendance unless someone has very recently changed their way of eating.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ranch-or-hummus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e11a290-1dfd-4b61-8ec0-465f0337f83cPost:e0c5d39e-47ff-4046-ab21-083b9ea807a4">Re:Ranch or Hummus?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's a 3 to 5pm reception in a venue without any kitchen facilities, so yeah, we're not doing a full meal. <strong>Personally I think that's still a lot of damn food, and I likely will not be wanting for dinner that evening</strong>, but that's just me. I'm not really stressing about it so much as I don't have any real preference so I was wondering if one option would generally be more popular than the other. FI has confirmed that there will be no vegns in attendance unless someone has very recently changed their way of eating.
    Posted by hamsterdance[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I don't know if I agree. But at this point it doesn't matter. I'm sure people will enjoy it either way. Enjoy your day!  
  • Hmm. Would you add more food if you were me? I'm a bit concerned because several people are driving a few hours to be there. If we really need more food I could send my FI out for more serving platters and stuff. I just don't think it's worth the effort for just one dip bowl, kwim? If we added any more food it would just need to be something that didn't require a ton of prep, preferably it be gluten free, and served cold or room temp as we can't heat anyghing up. Like maybe instead of a cheese and grapes tray we could do a full tray of cheese and a full tray of assorted fruit? Or potato salad? Or caramel popcorn?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ranch-or-hummus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e11a290-1dfd-4b61-8ec0-465f0337f83cPost:d659d8e2-88de-4da0-a6f7-d6b967a43038">Re:Ranch or Hummus?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your reception starts at 3 and ends at 5, then I think you have plenty of food already.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed.</div>
  • I would do ranch.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • You have plenty of food for an afternoon reception. I agree that more people will eat ranch, but either one would be great.
  • Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure my guests will have enough to eat. Sounds like ranch is the way to go.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ranch-or-hummus?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:1e11a290-1dfd-4b61-8ec0-465f0337f83cPost:0b2be7e0-33cd-4943-8f62-b8e3ce05d8f9">Re: Ranch or Hummus?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love hummus, but ranch is typically more crowd-friendly.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I love hummus, but most people would prefer ranch...so go with ranch.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Are the trays set on each individual table or on a buffet style table? If there is more than one tray of veggies why cant there be both?  With only 25 guests it would seem that two trays of veggies one with ranch and one with hummus would not be too big a deal. Unless I misread something in wihch case I say go with hummus.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards