Snarky Brides

"Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc.

Ok, so I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but...

I don't get the t-shirts, tank tops, flip-flops, tote bags and robes that either say "Bride" or "Bridesmaid" on them.  You can wear them for one day (and not even the whole day--unless you and your wedding party plan on wearing them for the ceremony and reception) and then--that's it.  I understand them as a souvenir/momento of the day--but isn't that what your dress is for?  To each his own and all that, but I don't understand buying them for your bridesmaids either--it seems like such a waste.  Are they really ever going to wear/use them again except on that one day??  You've already asked them to purchase a dress and possibly shoes and jewelry for this wedding, why subject them to more attire they don't want/need?  Call me a cheapo, but I just don't think they're worth the money. 

Sorry to be harsh or critical to those who do purchase these--maybe you can share your viewpoint.

Rant over. 

Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc.

• Lol- I totally agree.  Sigh, I will get flamed with you, but I dare say they are a tad trashy.  All I can think about is when Britney Spears and KFed got married and they all wore track suits- KFed's said "The Pimp", his dad's said "Pimp Daddy" and, of course, the groomsmen were....Pimps.

• In total agreement.
  • Totally agree. Tacky and trashy! They seem to be for the bridezillas; those shirts just scream "Look at me. It's my day. Wearing the white dress and being the bride doesn't give me enough attention. I'm an idiot, attention whore who spent $10 on a shirt I will only wear once."
    Anniversary
  • I got matching t-shirts for my bms that said, "Meg's Wenches." Too much?

• Ha! I totally agree. Although, I'll probably get the bride tank for the attention. Lol. I need an outfit for all the showers and bachelorette parties right?
  • i bought a "Bride" silk dressing gown from victoria's secret, but it was on sale, so i felt ok about it. i think the clothing idea is cheap, but i agree its a little superfluous. I have a girlfriend getting married who, as their presents to the bridesmaids and groomsmen, are getting them all t shirts with the individuals favorite football team on the front and numbers on the back that, when they walk down the aisle together at the rehearsal, will say their wedding date on them (month on the bridesmaid shirt, day on the groomsmen). its a cute idea, but that means they have to wear that shirt for the rehearsal, and may not wear it again after that. i just think its a bit much...
  • i'm ashamed to admit that i really want my MOH to get me a "bride" tank to wear on the day of my wedding while we are getting our hair and make-up done in the bridal suite...

i did get her an MOH tank, i don't expect her to wear it, i was drunk internet shopping and i thought it was cute...

flame me, i deserve it...
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • We all make our mistakes!  (off she goes to HIDE the tiffany blue nail polish--don't ask)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bride-bridesmaid-tanks-bags-robes-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8e5730f-b855-4d5f-8080-d939ee14f9c8Post:94fa5ce1-ee4a-4412-a1ed-83143b3b0698">Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc.</a>:
    [QUOTE]i'm ashamed to admit that i really want my MOH to get me a "bride" tank to wear on the day of my wedding while we are getting our hair and make-up done in the bridal suite... i did get her an MOH tank, i don't expect her to wear it, i was drunk internet shopping and i thought it was cute... flame me, i deserve it...
    Posted by Liz4444[/QUOTE]

You "expect" your MOH to buy you more stuff? Do you know how much she is already spending on your wedding? If you want one, buy it yourself.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bride-bridesmaid-tanks-bags-robes-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8e5730f-b855-4d5f-8080-d939ee14f9c8Post:25007eb7-aba0-42e0-af5a-9ba03b6326bd">Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc. : You "expect" your MOH to buy you more stuff? Do you know how much she is already spending on your wedding? If you want one, buy it yourself.
    Posted by megandjay[/QUOTE]

That's kinda harsh, Meg.  She said she would like one.  Not that she has *demanded* said shirt.

When my first round of college friends were getting married, the sweatpants with "Future Mrs. **" plastered on their bums were popular and they wore them around all the time.  I seriously didn't get those.  I think they are one step beyond bride tanks and I don't even get them!
  • FI and I are wearing Just Married t-shirts to our cruise; we could possibly get free upgrades to a balcony or a suite, if they have one available.

I don't think that makes us trashy, idiots, or attention whores.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Also, who the heck wears non-button-up shirts while getting ready for something like a wedding? 
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I have a bride tank that I am wearing to my bachelorette party and my mom bought me another tank that I will probably wear on the cruise. I am not ashamed, might as well flaunt it, you only get married once. I agree with MWhitson about the possible upgrades.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bride-bridesmaid-tanks-bags-robes-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8e5730f-b855-4d5f-8080-d939ee14f9c8Post:5091efb7-99c8-40f7-b8e5-dd897f615c6c">Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc.</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I are wearing Just Married t-shirts to our cruise; we could possibly get free upgrades to a balcony or a suite, if they have one available. I don't think that makes us trashy, idiots, or attention whores.
    Posted by mwhitson14[/QUOTE]

Whit - I saw you posted about this on etiquette, but I'm slow and threads die fast over there!

I'll agree it's not trashy or idiotic... but it does make you an AW.  Especially if you fully admit you are wearing it so you can have people see it and react (by giving you upgrades). 

I'll probably smile and say congrats if I saw someone in it.  But me in one?  Probably never going to happen.

Enjoy your cruise!
  • bahaha the responses to this are just silly

people wear them because they want everyone to know they have found the love of their life and they are marrying them, its a celebration and if you wear it for free stuff good for you! who doesn't want free stuff!! -- i tthink its a great idea, i may have to copy you ; )
  • I think this stuff is (a) ugly, and (b) a way to be cutesy and fish for attention and compliments.  If someone is trying to get vacation upgrades, couldn't they just mention that they're on their honeymoon when they check in?
  • Classy peach? How about you get over it or get the hell off the Snarky Brides board?  If you want someone to be your cheerleader and tell you that you and your hubby look just swell in matching clothes and fannypacks, I can assure you this is the wrong board.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bride-bridesmaid-tanks-bags-robes-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8e5730f-b855-4d5f-8080-d939ee14f9c8Post:b9a14977-2821-4b0e-9bf6-255beb68ae95">Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Classy peach? How about you get over it or get the hell off the Snarky Brides board?  If you want someone to be your cheerleader and tell you that you and your hubby look just swell in matching clothes and fannypacks, I can assure you this is the wrong board.
    Posted by hughe046[/QUOTE]

Hit a nerve much?? Calling you a classy peach was my nice way of really commenting on how distasteful and vulgar you appear.  Being snarky is one thing.....being a b*tch is a whole other thing.  I never said I was dressing to match my husband or would ever ever have a fanny pack.  Lovely that you make assumptions (you know what that says about a person and their level of intelligence).  I find it beyond amusing that some of you "snarky" brides cannot stand being called out for going above and beyond snarky and instead are just plain pathetic and rude. 
  • We went without the "Bride" tshirts and other accessories, but I don't really judge anyone that uses those items.

To each their own, you know?
  • edited March 2010
    LOL.  This is what gets me.  You think I am a biotch because if I saw two people wearing MATCHING SHIRTS/OUTFITS panhandling for a free upgrade while boarding a cruise I would judge you.  I may be honest, but pathetic?  Hmmm....pretty sure I am not wearing matching clothes with anyone hoping to get something I didn't pay for. 
  • edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bride-bridesmaid-tanks-bags-robes-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8e5730f-b855-4d5f-8080-d939ee14f9c8Post:25007eb7-aba0-42e0-af5a-9ba03b6326bd">Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc. : You "expect" your MOH to buy you more stuff? Do you know how much she is already spending on your wedding? If you want one, buy it yourself.
    Posted by megandjay[/QUOTE]

wow, really?  you read a lot into what i wrote, you must be psychic to know how much my MOH has spent on my wedding!  I said that i would like one, not that i expect her to buy me one... and fyi, i paid for my bridesmaids dresses and am paying for their hair, makeup and nails the day of... they are wearing whatever shoes they want and whatever jewelry they want.  whatever money she has spent on my wedding has been because she wants to not because i have "expected" her to. 

you really need to relax... not everyone is a bridezilla

oh, and just in case your computer magically turns what i said into something else like it did with my last comment... the girls chose their own dress styles, can wear their hair in whatever style they want, have their makeup in any way they want and can wear whatever nail color they want. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
  • I agree and even worse when people use them as the bridal party gifts (is this a joke?!?!?).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bride-bridesmaid-tanks-bags-robes-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8e5730f-b855-4d5f-8080-d939ee14f9c8Post:99f55be3-b4ff-4ffc-b685-27d1054879f3">Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc. : wow, really?  you read a lot into what i wrote, you must be psychic to know how much my MOH has spent on my wedding!  I said that i would like one, not that i expect her to buy me one... and fyi, i paid for my bridesmaids dresses and am paying for their hair, makeup and nails the day of... they are wearing whatever shoes they want and whatever jewelry they want.  whatever money she has spent on my wedding has been because she wants to not because i have "expected" her to.  you really need to relax... not everyone is a bridezilla oh, and just in case your computer magically turns what i said into something else like it did with my last comment... the girls chose their own dress styles, can wear their hair in whatever style they want, have their makeup in any way they want and can wear whatever nail color they want. 
    Posted by Liz4444[/QUOTE]

Totally agreeing with you!! None of my bridesmaids have to travel....I'm paying for their dresses (that they pick), the jewelry, hair, makeup, nails, pedicures and a spa day.  I think it's okay if I also purchase a bridesmaid tank tops as something funny to wear.  The only thing my bridesmaids have to purchase if they want is a pair of silver shoes.....I don't care what type or if they've used them before just that they are silver! 

People on these boards can be so weird about people spending their own money on their own wedding!!
  • mwhitson14mwhitson14 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bride-bridesmaid-tanks-bags-robes-etc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8e5730f-b855-4d5f-8080-d939ee14f9c8Post:da3ed48c-d0eb-4719-8d4d-fce42bcacc31">Re: "Bride" and "Bridesmaid" tanks, bags, robes, etc.</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOL.  This is what gets me.  You think I am a biotch because if I saw two people wearing MATCHING SHIRTS/OUTFITS panhandling for a free upgrade while boarding a cruise I would judge you.  I may be honest, but pathetic?  Hmmm....pretty sure I am not wearing matching clothes with anyone hoping to get something I didn't pay for. 
    Posted by hughe046[/QUOTE]

Yeah hughe because I totally said we're going to be in matching head to toe outfits panhandling for a free upgrade. Nowhere close. The travel agent suggested a tshirt or something because a lot of the times, when you board, the person checking you in will say something along the lines of, aw, it's your HM? Well, we have a suite available if you'd like an upgrade.

I have no intention of running up to the cruise ship going IT'S MY HONEYMOON BIITCHES GIVE ME FREE SHIIT. I may be a little AW, but I'm certainly not going to be annoying about it. I will not say a word about it being our HM, our agent made a note about it when she booked our HM. I personally thnk it's ok to be a little AWish on the one time I'll ever get a HM.

And it must be nice to not ever want to get free things, because I personally love to get free stuff. Next time it's your birthday, don't mention it's your birthday, and if you get gifts for it, better turn them down, because it'd be bad to get something you didn't pay for.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • This board is AWESOME! I just can't tear myself away!!! The fights are better than the TV show my FI's watching!!!

And if anyone is in the market... I have a black wife beater that says "bridesmaid" in pink rhinestones and a shirt that says "Save a Horse, Ride the Bride" for sale... also several tote bags with my name embroidered on them are on clearance!

• I admit, I bought two of those "Bride" tee shirts, both black tees with crystals that say "bride". It gets sillier, because I am also 44 years old.

I am wearing mine to the (mixed gender) "bachalorette" party, and also on the plane to Las Vegas for the wedding (where no one in my party will be sloshed drunk by the way, and where we our getting married at Red Rock Canyon, not a little Elvis chapel). I expect NO perks from an airline these days, believe me but I will be enjoying a few AW times in these shirts. I may even go hog-wild and wear one to work on the "casual Friday" before we leave for the wedding. I sleep in them, too sometimes.

For the Bridesmaids, I bought bags with a *removable* tag that says "Bridesmaid". They are great patterned black and white bags they can use for years.

Yea, it is probably tacky and trailer-parkish and attention whorish and all those things, but hey just call me the queen of the double-wide because I think it is fun! Smile

At least our gift registry does not have Safeway cards on it...
  • My mom does vinyl press on shirts, so she is making ours. Getting the tanks wholesale and doing them ourselves cost only a couple bucks a piece. I am also doing tanks so that we can wear them under tees after the wedding (we each have a ton of tanks and keep buying more, so they'll get used). They are not as replacements for gifts. They are a (cheap) dive into the wedding silliness.

Yes, I'll probably wear it on the honeymoon too. And yes, I'm doing it to be an AW.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • idk, but I REALLY wanna get my groom the one that says "trophy husband" lol and yes, I bought one of the sparkley ones that says "just married" so I can wear it the whole next day and then never again
  • Here's my opinion....

My wedding party has shirts that say "bride" "bridesmaid" "maid of honor" and even my wedding planner has one that says "planner". But we made ours, and they didn't have to pay any money for it. We used plain tees from Michaels, heat n bond, fabrics in the wedding colors, and puff paint. It was a fun night at the very beginning of planning where everyone got to meet one another & spend time together.

We don't wear them only on the wedding day. We wear them to expos, tastings, dress shopping/fittings, etc. They love them, I love them, and now FI wants one too. We got a ton of compliments on them at the expos.

But that's my opinion. I can see why people shouldn't make their bridesmaids buy them & stuff. They're expensive!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards