New York-Long Island

engagement party ideas/locations

Newbie here! Just got engaged this past Monday.  Not sure if I should post a question like this here or on the just engaged board.  What did everyone do for their engagement parties? We're looking for a location in Nassua county for a cocktail party possibly.  Any suggestions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: engagement party ideas/locations

• edited December 2011
    Typically your family or friends would throw an engagement party for you, so it's not something you would have to worry about :o)
  • edited December 2011
    yes but I'd like to be involved in the choice of location
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    we didn't have an engagement party-they feel way too gift grabby to me but that's just my opinion.
    whats the budget?

• edited December 2011

Try Mims or Fanatico. They are both in Syosset.

• edited December 2011
    There's really no budget yet, but as cheap as possible works :)  We're having an engagement party because we're moving to texas by the end of the year, and having a destination wedding.  So we wanted to get everyone together since 80% won't be coming to Jamaica for our wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    In all honesty, let your parents handle it.  It's really really tacky to throw or have any say in organizing your own wedding-related parties other than the guest list.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree - the engagement party is something that is thrown for you, not by you. At least that is what etiquitte says, however, not everyone listens to that. I'm sure your parents will have plenty of ideas - and honestly the more ideas you have the harder it will be to make a decision.

The old says... too many cooks in the kitchen... is so true with wedding planning.

CONGRATS on the engagement though - happy destination wedding planning!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    ok so apparently they want to shell out the cash but don't want to plan...HELP!!!!  I don't have a desire to plan either. This sux I'm going to go elope Innocent
  •  Newly engaged and overwhelmed already! We have know idea what to do.  Has anyone doe destination, and how perfect was it? What's the typical budget for destination? We will be having about 50 guest who will definitely come away with us.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_engagement-party-ideaslocations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:120Discussion:9ecac7f4-aab6-4c59-ba31-9aee2bcd98b0Post:dc453aba-2774-491d-873c-024081ff793c">engagement party ideas/locations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Newbie here! Just got engaged this past Monday.  Not sure if I should post a question like this here or on the just engaged board.  What did everyone do for their engagement parties? We're looking for a location in Nassua county for a cocktail party possibly.  Any suggestions?
    Posted by LaMor522[/QUOTE]

I am wandering the same thing! I am hoping if my sisters throw me an engagement party, they would at least ask me for some preferences, no matter how tacky this may sound.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards