Snarky Brides

Scent flashbacks

2»

Re: Scent flashbacks

• The Hawaiian Ginger body spray from Calgon will forever remind me of 8th grade.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:4de6c1d2-09ce-4964-9644-dd09f6ce9d11">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]the other day I was walking through the drug store and all of a  sudden I could smell <strong>Love's Baby Soft.</strong>  It took me straight back to 5th grade. 
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

This!

And I remember Jordace used to have a perfume that I wore in the 80's.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Every time I smell Lilac I think of my Grandparents house in Michigan. There was a lilac bush next to their front porch. They were not very nice people and it was hard for us kids to be in the house with them so we would sit outside on the porch and play next to the bush.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Lucky perfume reminds me of 8th grade, going out with friends to the movies. 

This green aftershave my dad used to wear, I think its called "Brut?" not sure..I don't see my dad but a couple of times a year..so that smell brings back memories of my dad :)

My grandma's house has a distinct smell..its hard to explain, its warm, inviting and sweet. Every time she send me something in the mail, the box and everything in it smells like her house. Lol that sounds so weird, but it really is a nice smell :P
  • I was beyond close to my maternal grandfather, Pop Pop.  When I was little both my parents worked really long hours in their career paths so I spent at least three nights a week with my Pop Pop.  He was a strong, manly man who happily sprawled in my playroom having tea parties with me, playing house, barbies, etc.  He always wore the Polo cologne in the dark green bottle.  He died almost 8 years ago and to this day if I'm walking down the street, or in the mall, and someone wears that cologne I cry.  I don't mean I tear.....I'm a messy crier.

I still have his last, unfinished bottle of cologne on my dresser.  Makes me miss him.

• Mesmerize by Avon reminds me of my first real love.  He would wear it every day. 

There was this Jasmine and Water-lilies body spray that I wore all the time when I was younger.  I can't remember the brand, but it had a girl drawn on the label.  I was heart broken when they stopped producing it.

Also, the smell of the original Old Spice after shave makes me cry.  My dad used to wear it...He can't anymore because he shave and is to proud to let anyone do it for him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:229d1705-2bad-41be-b28d-c2b7a9fb5ab5">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scent flashbacks : I remember those...Heaven, Earth, Rain and I think there was one more
    Posted by Denise91980[/QUOTE]

<div>There was one that smelled like fresh-cut grass.  The kind in my front yard, not the kind in my neighbor's living room.</div><div>
    </div><div>Whenever I smell cantaloupe, I am always reminded of the time my preschool served it as a snack, and I got sick.  The AFB received a shipment of cantaloupe in contaminated ice, and over a thousand people got sick.  I distinctly remember tugging on the teacher's shirt and saying, "I don't feel good."  Then I ralphed all over her.</div>
  • Whenever I pass a little old lady wearing anything that at all resembles White Diamonds from Liz Taylor, I think of my mom. She would wear that one and it just takes me back to the good ole days.

Calgon's Hawaiin Ginger totally takes me back to middle school.

Plus, when I smell tape (like, standard Scotch tape) I automatically think of Christmas.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:8065899f-7701-455d-b09c-8a366b44bfff">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was beyond close to my maternal grandfather, Pop Pop.  When I was little both my parents worked really long hours in their career paths so I spent at least three nights a week with my Pop Pop.  He was a strong, manly man who happily sprawled in my playroom having tea parties with me, playing house, barbies, etc.  He always wore the Polo cologne in the dark green bottle.  He died almost 8 years ago and to this day if I'm walking down the street, or in the mall, and someone wears that cologne I cry.  I don't mean I tear.....I'm a messy crier. I still have his last, unfinished bottle of cologne on my dresser.  Makes me miss him.
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

What a lovely tribute!  I got a bit choked-up just reading this.
  • Baby powder makes me think of cabbage patch dolls

And there are certian colognes that remind me of Ex's (don't know the names though)
  • edited April 2011
    The smell of fresh cut grass just reminds me of every childhood summer I had.

Also the smell of fabric softener coming from the dryer always reminds me of one of my grandmothers. She would always give us stuff like blankets or sweaters and she'd always wash them first and they would smell so good. To this day, I still don't know what kind of detergent of fabric softener she used. I have never ben able to find one that smelled so good. But whenever I smell clean clothes or get a breeze through the window from the laundry room vents downstairs I think of her.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:63f6276e-ce53-4d8e-b1b2-53b6d16a260b">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Lucky perfume</strong>reminds me of 8th grade, going out with friends to the movies.  This green aftershave my dad used to wear, I think its called "Brut?" not sure..I don't see my dad but a couple of times a year..so that smell brings back memories of my dad :) My grandma's house has a distinct smell..its hard to explain, its warm, inviting and sweet. Every time she send me something in the mail, the box and everything in it smells like her house. Lol that sounds so weird, but it really is a nice smell :P
    Posted by mandalove7[/QUOTE]

I started wearing Lucky about then.  I ran out and got a new scent last Christmas.  I still have the bottle with just a smidge in it and will probably buy more again.  I still love that stuff.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • B&BW White Tea and Ginger smells like our wedding venue (a hotel in Philly). For the longest time when we went there, I would comment on how familiar the scent was. One day I came across an almost-finished bottle of it at home and sprayed it on getting ready to walk out the door and had a "eureka!" moment. That night I bought three more bottles and now I spray it every time I need to relax, since it reminds me of all the wonderful time we spent there.

Hugo makes me angry. I love the scent, but I can't stand it. My ex used to wear it, and he was wearing it the night I dumped his ass (after beating the crap out of me). Now every time I smell it I think of him and I just want to punch the nearest inanimate object. H almost bought it once and I forbade him to. I felt a little bad for being like "Get whatever the hell you want, as long as it's not Hugo. I hate that shiit," but my mind connects it to that night with my ex and that's not something that I want to associate with my H, ya know?
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • The smell of strawberry anything reminds me of my strawberry shortcake doll.  And I keep running into a "christmas pocket" every time I go in my mothers room for some reason- kinda a wax smell I think although I don't know where it comes from since she doesnt burn candles.

What is even weirder is that smells can induce a memory or sense of nostaglia for something that NEVER HAPPENED TO ME.  As in the smell of the rain makes me so nostagic and makes me have this memory of walking down a narrow, dirt road with high stone walls on either side.  In my memory it is raining and I am carrying an umbrella, and it is dusk out and the houses on either side are all lit up inside.  Could it be a memory of a dream or something? :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:7b3778ad-acb0-4d71-aa13-6fa13fbd7bf8">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Baby powder makes me think of cabbage patch dolls</strong> And there are certian colognes that remind me of Ex's (don't know the names though)
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

Me too!  This is probably going to sound really weird but the smell of gasoline and oil really comfort me because it reminds me of my dad and how I'd run into his arms every day he came home from work.  I still love that smell!

And wood burning stoves remind me of my childhood best friend.  I have weird smell memories...

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:95e2278b-f90b-453c-bf67-b83cd452cd60">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scent flashbacks : I started wearing Lucky about then.  I ran out and got a new scent last Christmas.  I still have the bottle with just a smidge in it and will probably buy more again.  I still love that stuff.
    Posted by Wrkn925[/QUOTE]

<div>Wow, I didn't even realize they still made it. I can never find it in stores, I may have to do a little online searching :P</div>
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_scent-flashbacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8facb884-9baf-4550-8c2b-a47883f9c4bfPost:f929877d-6d4f-4974-a749-dccdc2f155b0">Re: Scent flashbacks</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scent flashbacks : Wow, I didn't even realize they still made it. I can never find it in stores, I may have to do a little online searching :P
    Posted by mandalove7[/QUOTE]

I get it at Wal-Mart.
    <a href="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucky-You-for-1.7oz-Eau-De-Toilette/1634976">http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucky-You-for-1.7oz-Eau-De-Toilette/1634976</a>

ETA: I can always find it on the shelf, I don't buy it online.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    The smell of Play-doh always takes me back to preschool. 

Also, tin foil smell (metallic) reminds me of a fun project we did in kindergarten- we made tin foil boats and put little plastic teddy bears in them to see which one floated the longest.

Freshly turned soil reminds me of my Grandma. She was always gardening.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Bath and Body Works' Cucumber Melon takes me back to 4H camp
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards