Wedding Reception Forum

Plastic at the reception?

I just found out that my wedding coordinater doesn't include the china for the wedding - I'm glad I found this out now. She suggested that we buy clear plastic plates since it is a buffet style serving at the reception. It doesn't sound too bad to me, but at the same time something tells me to find a place to rent dishes from. The wedding will be in December, so it will be inside. If it was going to be outside and casual I wouldn't have this issue, but because it is inside and semi-formal I'm at a loss. The rentals are looking like they're going to cost anywhere from $200-400 atleast! And since the FI and I are paying for everything I don't know if that will fit into our budget. So plastic China tacky or okay? Our colors include silver so maybe if I found plates with silver in them... Does anyone know where we can get some nice throw away plates that at least look like they're not tacky? 

Thank you for the help in advance. 

Re: Plastic at the reception?

• I think it depends on everything else. I went to a small, very low budget wedding and it was fine. They had spaghetti and some other simple buffet items, plastic plates and utensils, no alcohol, short ceremony, less than 100 guests (might have even been less than 50). It was simple and nice, but consistent if that makes sense.

I think it might look a little funny if everything else is nice, then there are plastic plates. But I feel you on the budget issues, so I can definitely understand trying to save some money!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Go to SAMS and get the clear "acrylic" type plates. They're inexpensive, and they look just fine.

They have utensils that go with it, though I haven't looked into them, I just know the plates are suitable.

Keep in mind, if you rent dishes - you also have to collect, wash, and return them undamaged - If your relatives are like mine, something is getting dumped on the floor.

• We are using plastic plates and utensils. Found them at Party City and they look real. They also come in different colors
  • I think it depends on your overall budget and the other finishes at your wedding.  Are you spending $40,000 and cheaping out on your dishes?  It's going to look weird with plastic plates.  If your budget is much more modest I see no problem with nice plastic plates.

A PP mentioned that you have to return them washed and intact.  While I have never rented china (it's included with my venue), each rental company may have different rules.  Be sure to read over all the contracts to know exactly what you'd be getting yourself into and shop around!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks ladies, our buget is pretty low - less than $10,000 - and while we have a serving staff that comes with the warmers and everything, dishes are not included. Although they do wash all dishes used and things like that which is why I thought they came with dishes. I will check party city, costco, and sams for some options. I know my family and something might get broken with the rented tablewear. 
  • TiffannieFTiffannieF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Is this your hall or your caterer? Did did they suggest anybody that might give you a discount? We had a $10,000 wedding and I think it was a nice formal wedding so I think you can still have a nice wedding on that budget. IMHO yes I think it's "tacky" (though I don't think thts the correct word, maybe just cheap?) but then again I was a pretty anal bride I thought white linens were a cliche and was a big no-no for me as well as not having chair covers, was a must for me. I would continue to research, you have a year. Research was my best friend and was the main reason how we got away with a nice wedding on $10,000. GL! ETA: just because you are having a buffet doesn't mean you can't have a nice reception. I think that's odd they would just say it like that. I would have felt like "Oh sense I'm cheap enough to have a buffet I can't have other nice things? Just bring out the plastic ware and red cups, we dont care!". Lol. Buffet does not mean you get to get away with poor etiquette (although I'm not sure this falls under poor etiquette) buffet means saving some money.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_plastic-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:672b488f-a52d-4beb-8c2e-faa13f5ef84fPost:09d60492-b9e5-4d2b-bf8f-47aed6ac28a8">Re: Plastic at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is this your hall or your caterer? Did did they suggest anybody that might give you a discount? We had a $10,000 wedding and I think it was a nice formal wedding so I think you can still have a nice wedding on that budget. IMHO yes I think it's "tacky" (though I don't think thts the correct word, maybe just cheap?) but then again I was a pretty anal bride I thought white linens were a cliche and was a big no-no for me as well as not having chair covers, was a must for me. I would continue to research, you have a year. Research was my best friend and was the main reason how we got away with a nice wedding on $10,000. GL! ETA: just because you are having a buffet doesn't mean you can't have a nice reception. I think that's odd they would just say it like that. I would have felt like "Oh sense I'm cheap enough to have a buffet I can't have other nice things? Just bring out the plastic ware and red cups, we dont care!". Lol. Buffet does not mean you get to get away with poor etiquette (although I'm not sure this falls under poor etiquette) buffet means saving some money.
    Posted by TiffannieF[/QUOTE]

<div>You made me think of that red plastic cup country song after reading your response. It made me laugh for a good while before I could respond =). I talked it over with the FI and we have found some plastic stuff that didn't look like throw away, so we might do that but we are going to see. The venue is their church for all of it, and they don't supply too much. If we used their dishes and things then I think it really would look kinda "cheap". We aren't having a caterer, my family is doing most of the cooking -filipino food- we are only having a few things catered - like the roasted pig and some of the desserts. The gal who is my coordinator suggested the plastic, but I don't think she had meant like the kind of cheap flimsy plastic we see at the beach, but the nicer ones. I just forgot that they make those disposable nice dishes for nicer dinners, especially around Christmas time. Like you said I still have a year to figure it all out. </div>
  • We found some very nice plastic utensils at Target. They look just like silverware. Good Luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_plastic-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:672b488f-a52d-4beb-8c2e-faa13f5ef84fPost:f11351ec-0da1-42be-b7cf-c1097f5673ef">Re: Plastic at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We found some very nice plastic utensils at Target. They look just like silverware. Good Luck!!
    Posted by beth34608[/QUOTE]

<div>I will look there! Thank you! </div>
  • At warehouse stores like sams/BJs/costco you can get the heavier white plastic plates with either a gold or silver rim, plus sliver colored plastic utensils.  They look classy, almost exactly like the real thing (although people will be able to tell they are plastic when they pick them up-- much lighter.)  My sister used them in her wedding and it was cheaper than renting and looked nice.
  • Since you have so much time to plan, if you are interested in this kind of thing, you could see if the plastic can be recycled at your nearby center. You could have two bins- one for cleaned plates and one for lazy folks, but if you're having 100+ people disposing of thick plastic plates and utensils you could always see if recycling is an option.

But, that might seem tacky. I dont know. I just don't want to make more trash at my wedding than need be and my FI works for a recycling center so I know much of that can be recycled!
  • my only concern with clear plastic plates is willt hey be strong enough to hold the food while people walk around? frankly i probably wouldn't care (as long as the food's great and the drinks are good) but they need to be strong-especially since it's a buffet. test them out.

• Smartyhadaparty.com has a wide variety of plastic. Everything from plates to silverware to stemware, they have it all. There plates are made to look like glass/china but they are plastic and disposable. They are well worth looking into. Hope this helps. Laughing
  • Smartyhadaparty is a great site.  I am finding everything we need at so much cheaper than many other sites, even local rentals.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_plastic-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:672b488f-a52d-4beb-8c2e-faa13f5ef84fPost:60ff12b5-52ae-48d3-a459-18c8f559c64b">Re: Plastic at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Smartyhadaparty.com has a wide variety of plastic. Everything from plates to silverware to stemware, they have it all. There plates are made to look like glass/china but they are plastic and disposable. They are well worth looking into. Hope this helps. 
    Posted by Biddities[/QUOTE]

<div>I was looking into their a few days ago, their stuff looks too good to be true! I will look into them as well!! </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_plastic-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:672b488f-a52d-4beb-8c2e-faa13f5ef84fPost:4e7164b6-068f-4820-8705-284da44a7d0c">Re: Plastic at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]my only concern with clear plastic plates is willt hey be strong enough to hold the food while people walk around? frankly i probably wouldn't care (as long as the food's great and the drinks are good) but they need to be strong-especially since it's a buffet. test them out.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

<div>I was thinking the same thing, but if I really look -and since I have the time- I think I can find plates that will work. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_plastic-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:672b488f-a52d-4beb-8c2e-faa13f5ef84fPost:7616e9a8-d45a-4973-8735-992c09a6192b">Re: Plastic at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since you have so much time to plan, if you are interested in this kind of thing, you could see if the plastic can be recycled at your nearby center. You could have two bins- one for cleaned plates and one for lazy folks, but if you're having 100+ people disposing of thick plastic plates and utensils you could always see if recycling is an option. But, that might seem tacky. I dont know. I just don't want to make more trash at my wedding than need be and my FI works for a recycling center so I know much of that can be recycled!
    Posted by lizcoffeyart[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We always recycle when we can, so I will look into that. I know much of our family likes to recycle as well... 

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards