Arizona-Phoenix

Help W/ Gift Registry Dilemma

I am getting married in October and I have a question regarding my registry. My FI and I currently live at home with his parents. Everyone knows we live at home and we plan on buying a house after the wedding. We just don’t know when. It might not be for awhile afterwards. With the economy and the expense of paying for a wedding and honeymoon we just can’t afford to buy a house before the wedding. We did register for gifts but I feel a little weird  when they find out that we registered for household items and we don’t even have a house. I already feel judged. So my question is  what should I do? A. not tell anyone about my registry? or B. Just make it word of mouth that we would prefer money? How do I handle the questions at the bridal shower about when are you getting a house and blah blah blah…. Sometimes people are so judgmental

Re: Help W/ Gift Registry Dilemma

• edited December 2011
    is your honeymoon all paid for??

If not, have you considered registering with AAA.....this way rather than people buying you household items, they can help pay for your honeymoon. Smile
  • edited December 2011
    If you really need the money, you can try word of mouth.  You know your guest better than anyone.  So, if you already feel judged, you will know the best way to handle the gift situation.  In addition, there may be some people who will want to give a physical gift.  Not money, not gift cards.  So, keep that in mind.  You may want to do a honeymoon registry and a gift registry.  If you do end up doing a gift registry, this may make you feel a little better ... I have a good friend that was in a similar situation.  They got married in Ohio but then were going to move to AZ.  So, they registered at BBB and Macys.  They returned the gifts and got gift cards .  They were able to repurchase what they needed once they moved.  Many times with 20 percent off coupons!
    11/6/2010
    Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011

Who cares if you don't have a house yet! Register for your households for your future house! You are going to have to buy all these items at one point anyways, right? And when people ask, you can always give a general time frame like, "We'd like to find out place by the end of 2012'. If you don't have a true answer, there's nothing worng with that. You shouldn't have to feel judged on working towards a house.

Really utilize a wedding website to provide information where you are registered to. We are putting out website on our save-the-dates, and also on our invitations. That way you save money on extra cards/paper on accomadations, gift registry information, etc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the previous poster - our house didn't close until a month after our wedding - all the registry gifts went to my parent's home. There's nothing wrong with putting household items on your registry even if you don't have a house yet!!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • jware1985jware1985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_w-gift-registry-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:71Discussion:7432005b-6cca-460d-a309-68a9293fd03aPost:763db553-46f3-4ecc-8d47-061692fc3621">Re: Help W/ Gift Registry Dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the previous poster - our house didn't close until a month after our wedding - all the registry gifts went to my parent's home. There's nothing wrong with putting household items on your registry even if you don't have a house yet!!
    Posted by kpwedkk[/QUOTE]

This exactly.  IMO the whole point of the registry is to be like a wish list for your home, even if you don't have "your home" right now... if it is stuff that you can picture in the house you and your hubby will one day have i don't see why people would have any problem with it being on your registry.
    Photobucket
  • tiny27tiny27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also trying to see what to register for as my FI already has a house. I probably will get new dishes and silverware, not sure what else. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards