Snarky Brides

Hair, Hair

I have long hair (yay!), but I also have little experience with "doing my hair."  I recently mastered pairing the right product with blow drying my hair and wearing it down.  I'm happy with that accomplishment.

But, part of the fun of having long hair is doing fun things!  And... my skills are lacking.  I have bobby pins, clips, hair bands, hair combs, and barrettes.  I'm not sure what to do with a lot of it aside from a simple pony tail.  And sooo...

1. What is your normal hair routine after a shower?  Do you put stuff in your hair and then blow it out, let it dry or something else?

2. Can you put your hair in a bun?  Tell me how you do it.

3. Do you follow any hair blogs or have any recs of tutorials on interesting ways to style your hair?

4. What's your favorite way to do your hair for work?  A night out?  Pictures?

5. Share a tip.  Or tell me you like cake.

Re: Hair, Hair

• 1. What is your normal hair routine after a shower?  Do you put stuff in your hair and then blow it out, let it dry or something else?

I'm a night shower girl so if I'm planning on letting the curls go wild, I just scruff my hair and sleep on it.  If I'm digging straight hair (usually)  I'll break out my wet/dry flat iron.  I don't put any product in my hair because I'm too lazy to fight the humidity.

i can and do.  If I just want it out of my face I just twist it at the base of my neck until it rolls itself into a bun and then band it.  If i want a cute-ish bun I start with a ponytail at whatever height and then twist and pin.

3. Do you follow any hair blogs or have any recs of tutorials on interesting ways to style your hair?

I've been playing around on pinterest lately because i too am looking for new styles, specifically fun braids.  Search DIY hairstyle, updo, braid, or whatever on there and you'll find TONS. Nebb has a couple fun tutorials on her hair board.

My current favorite is what I describe as "as cute as it can be and still be functional".  It's just so hot and i cannot stand hair on my neck when it's hot.  So I do a side part with a low pony tail and then flip the pony up and use a big metal clip to secure it at high pony height.  Cuts my hair length in half and still looks cute-ish.

i fucking love cake.
  • I've found so many cute styles on Pinterest and many come with supereasy tutorials. I have a ton linked on my Hair To Try board and I have tried probably 60 of them, so they're pretty easy. What kind of hair do you have? Mine is long, but really thick and with a natural curl, so some things work better for me and some don't.
  • Effing TK mobile. Sorry that post looks like a mess. And that's sixty percent, not sixty hairstyles.
  • 1. What is your normal hair routine after a shower? Do you put stuff in your hair and then blow it out, let it dry or something else?
    I'm a nighttime shower person too, so if it's during the work week, I'll comb it out and then put some Bumble & Bumble styling cream in it. A little of that stuff goes a long way and helps keep my hair manageable. If I'm getting ready to go out, I'll do the same thing, then blow dry it in sections, flat iron or curl it, and then apply some Bumble & Bumble shine serum to keep the frizz down.

2. Can you put your hair in a bun? Tell me how you do it.
    Yes, I have to wear my hair in a bun everyday for work. I put it up in a ponytail either just below my crown or at the base of my neck, then coil it around itself. I use hair spray for the flyaways.

The only thing I've really looked up how to do with my hair was victory rolls for a pinup photo shoot I did back in October. Once I got that down, I've been able to do that to my on quite a few other occasions with success. I love that my 'look' can handle styles like that.

4. What's your favorite way to do your hair for work? A night out? Pictures?
    Like I said, I have to wear it in a bun for work (military). For a night out, depending on what we're doing, I'll either wear it down & straight, sometimes with a cute little bow accessory or pin. Or I'll curl my hair, shake the curls out just a little, then spritz with hair spray. Uhhh, pics, let's see if I have any on this laptop.
    Down & flat-ironed:

Curled w/cute accessory

Side braid

5. Share a tip. Or tell me you like cake.
    Tip: I like to comb out my hair before I shower, since I have long, thick hair. Well, the hair shaft itself is thin, I just have a LOT of hair, so combing it before I shower helps prevent it from getting super tangled when I wash it. That way, when I go to comb it out when it's wet, it's less likely to break.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • 1. What is your normal hair routine after a shower?  Do you put stuff in your hair and then blow it out, let it dry or something else? 

When it's still soaking wet, I put Redken Thickening lotion around the roots (for body) and an anti-frizz to the ends.  Depending on how I'm planning to wear it and how much time I have, I'll either let it dry naturally, or let it air dry about halfway and then finish with a blowdryer and round brush.

Start with a ponytail, then separate it into several sections and wrap and pin them individually.  The "spin pin" by Goody works pretty well, too.

thesmallthingsblog.com
    Her hair is shorter than mine, but I've still picked up some great tips from the blog.

Flat iron curls are my go-to right now for pretty much all situations.

CAKE!

Also, stop using traditional ponytail holders.  Even the good ones pull your hair out and cause breakage.  I use pantyhose.

• 1. What is your normal hair routine after a shower? Do you put stuff in your hair and then blow it out, let it dry or something else?
    I usually put it in a pony and let it dry.  It has gotten super curly over the past year so it dries pretty except the top.

2. Can you put your hair in a bun? Tell me how you do it.
    I was a ballerina, lol.  I love Balanchine buns (middle part, sits at the nape of your neck).  I do it wet, put a pony in, wrap it around itself and use an elastic to hold it.  Then i clip a flower on the side.

No, Im an idiot with hair.

4. What's your favorite way to do your hair for work? A night out? Pictures?
    I just got my hair done and my stylist did it my favorite way for a night out. Then for everyday I wear it in a high pony because i like the waves.

5. Share a tip. Or tell me you like cake.
    Dont wash it everyday.  I wash mine maybe twice a week because its thick and wavy so if I overwash it my scalp dries out and it looks like crap.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • 1. What is your normal hair routine after a shower?  Do you put stuff in your hair and then blow it out, let it dry or something else? If I shower at night, I spray some leave in conditioner and let it dry most of the way before I go to sleep. If I shower in the morning, it varies. If I blowdry (rarely) I use a redken jelly mouse stuff and dry in sections. My hair is wavy, so a lot of the time, I just spray in some tousling spray, scrunch it, and a tiny but of hair spray.

2. Can you put your hair in a bun?  Tell me how you do it. I love a messy bun. I just gather my hair and pull it halfway through a rubberband, then wrap it again and pull the hair to loosen it up.

3. Do you follow any hair blogs or have any recs of tutorials on interesting ways to style your hair? I tried the headband curls, but I think my hair was too short. I want to try again when it gets longer.

4. What's your favorite way to do your hair for work?  A night out?  Pictures? For a night out, I love to curl it. My curling iron is a 1 inch.

5. Share a tip.  Or tell me you like cake. I wash my hair 2-3x per week. On days it needs a boost, I love suave dry shampoo.
  • I have long hair (yay!), but I also have little experience with "doing my hair."  I recently mastered pairing the right product with blow drying my hair and wearing it down.  I'm happy with that accomplishment. But, part of the fun of having long hair is doing fun things!  And... my skills are lacking.  I have bobby pins, clips, hair bands, hair combs, and barrettes.  I'm not sure what to do with a lot of it aside from a simple pony tail.  And sooo... 1. What is your normal hair routine after a shower? 

My hair is waist length, really thick, wavy, and prone to tangle badly. I usually shower in the morning, unless I just cannot get to sleep, then I'll shower at night. I wash my hair about once a week, but condition the loose ends daily. I use Suave Clarifying Shampoo and Treseme Curls or Nexxus Conditioner depending on the weather. I don't blow dry or use any of that stuff as a normal routine.

Yes, I wear it in some sort of bun daily. I'm really weird about having my hair touch my neck.

One way I wear it up is with two large clips (3 - 4"), I take my hair at the nape of my neck with my left hand, and slide it about half way down the length of my hair. I then twist it to the right, and sort of pull the ends up through the hole. It makes a pretty little knot. I put a clip on both sides and it stays up all day.

I also wear a traditional dancer's bun, where I'll put it up in a pony tail, twist my hair to the right, and twine it around the pony tail to the left, and then pin it. You twist it one direction, and twine it the other way, so that it holds onto itself somewhat.

However, I can tie my hair in a knot and it will stay up like that most of the day, my hair has a lot of body and a mind of it's own. My mom's hair is much finer and doesn't lend itself to these styles so much even though it is longer than mine.

No, not really. I did read the Curly Hair Book about 10 years ago and that was great, but other than that, nothing.

My hair is either in a bun or a french braid. If it's down I have a migraine it it's a good sign to anyone who knows me to eff off. I will very rarely wear it down on date night for hubby, right now it's short enough that it's not a problem, but when we first met it was knee length and it was impossible to wear down. I really hate my hair touching my neck, and I can't wear it in a pony tail because I break pony tail holders by mid day.

Don't overwash. Condition often, you can scrimp on shampoo, but buy good conditioner. Heat kills hair. I'm lazy about my hair and I wish I were more creative. I've had cute hair cuts, but I don't take the time to deal with them, so I just keep it really long and up all the time.
  • I'm jealous of all your hair.

Mine is thin and long.  It refuses curl and rejects most bobby pins.  I wanted tips on the bun because my hair simply won't hold it.  I put it in a pony tail (with or without a holder), twist one way, wrap the other and try to pin it.  The bobby pins fall out and basically laugh at me. 

There are days I want to go to a professional hair person and just say "Teach me how to do some cool hairstyles.  Teach me where to put pins and what product will help hold my hair."

Thanks for all your thoughts!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hair-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4abde3f7-3fcc-4974-820d-bfe2ab06ab3bPost:510cd3a1-8c13-4cb9-85c8-e3403b47c09f">Re: Hair, Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm jealous of all your hair. Mine is thin and long.  It refuses curl and rejects most bobby pins.  I wanted tips on the bun because my hair simply won't hold it.  I put it in a pony tail (with or without a holder), twist one way, wrap the other and try to pin it.  The bobby pins fall out and basically laugh at me.  There are days I want to go to a professional hair person and just say "Teach me how to do some cool hairstyles.  Teach me where to put pins and what product will help hold my hair." Thanks for all your thoughts!!
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Your hair sounds like my mother's - very fine and soft, never tangles, doesn't curl, and doesn't stay up well.

She wears the clips with the grippers in side them from Scunci, and her hair stays in them pretty well. I wonder if the sock bun would work, but with a piece of non skid shelf liner around the sock to hold your hair up there?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hair-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4abde3f7-3fcc-4974-820d-bfe2ab06ab3bPost:ccf8aae7-4c2c-4a48-ab96-061a1a935fbe">Re: Hair, Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hair, Hair : Your hair sounds like my mother's - very fine and soft, never tangles, doesn't curl, and doesn't stay up well. She wears the clips with the grippers in side them from Scunci, and her hair stays in them pretty well. I wonder if the sock bun would work, but with a piece of non skid shelf liner around the sock to hold your hair up there?
    Posted by StefffiC[/QUOTE]

I tried the sock bun for the no-curl thing and my hair looked horrible when done.  Horrible!

I haven't mastered the bun with wrapping my hair around the sock and leaving it in all day.  I want to try, though! 

My hair laughs at the idea of wrapping it in a bun and using a hair band to hold it.  It falls out immediately.

I know that my hair can be put up because I've had it done professionally numerous times.  I just can't seem or don't know how to re-create it or even simplier things. 

I have some of those grip-clips and use them primarily after showers.  I also have this awesome loop that allows me to put my hair up in a cool twist.  It holds well.  But more fun things?  I fail miserably.  Boo.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hair-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4abde3f7-3fcc-4974-820d-bfe2ab06ab3bPost:510cd3a1-8c13-4cb9-85c8-e3403b47c09f">Re: Hair, Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm jealous of all your hair. Mine is thin and long.  It refuses curl and rejects most bobby pins.  I wanted tips on the bun because my hair simply won't hold it.  I put it in a pony tail (with or without a holder), twist one way, wrap the other and try to pin it.  The bobby pins fall out and basically laugh at me.  There are days I want to go to a professional hair person and just say "Teach me how to do some cool hairstyles.  Teach me where to put pins and what product will help hold my hair." Thanks for all your thoughts!!
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Try a texturizer before you style if you want to try a bun.  It basically gunks up your hair and gives it a little more structure.  That'll help it stick to itself and stay put.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hair-hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4abde3f7-3fcc-4974-820d-bfe2ab06ab3bPost:6b4f2eae-99fe-444e-8209-7b865c846761">Re: Hair, Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hair, Hair : Try a texturizer before you style if you want to try a bun.  It basically gunks up your hair and gives it a little more structure.  That'll help it stick to itself and stay put.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Ah, see.. this is great advice.  Thank you!
  • TGozeTGoze member
    First Comment
    I have a quick and easy secret to the bun idea, if none of the ladies have said it yet. I am in the Military and I have my hair bunned up and perfect everyday (its a must). You start with wherever you are going to have the bun ie: like here the Japanese put it on the top, I wear it low beacause I have a cover. Anyways get a sock, and since your hair is long, go with a boot/tube sock, in a simlilar hair color. Cut off the toe of the sock and roll it on itself (it will look like a donut) you mght have to use more than one sock to get a good length. The put your hair thru it, like threading a needle. once it is on your pony tail, look down at the floor and flip your hair and colmb it over the sock, so your hair is evenly fanned over the whole sock covering it. Secure this with an elastic band. So now when you look up youll have hair stilcking out around the sides. With this (depending on the amount) you can twist it around the bun (using gel) or braid it separate then wrap=my fave, or secure it the best you can with bobby pins. 
    this is when its braided around

all my socks over time.

I hope youll try it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards