Wedding Reception Forum

NJ Venues for Animal Lovers

Any suggestions? I'm thinking anything that can allow me to incorporate animals, whether they have some interesting fauna on site or if they would allow me to bring some in, (fish? I realize a lot MAY go wrong with fish but I also know they are used as decor in events that have gone swimmingly...har har har) So like, koi, peacocks, swans, etc.  I'm thinking more Central Jersey, too. No wedding date as of now! I am a huuge animal lover, I mean my dream wedding would have tigers and rabbits and snakes and just about every animal you can think of, which is why a zoo appeals to me but I want my guests to be able to breath easy and enjoy their food with no worries as well ; )

Sorry I only just now saw that there is a forum for Local boards. They don't let you delete these, huh?

Re: NJ Venues for Animal Lovers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_nj-venues-for-animal-lovers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:359bbd60-777f-4b2e-8140-025d07400f80Post:df136d35-1f77-42f7-a7c2-dc261d9c6ac9">NJ Venues for Animal Lovers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Any suggestions? I'm thinking anything that can allow me to incorporate animals, whether they have some interesting fauna on site or if they would allow me to bring some in, (fish? I realize a lot MAY go wrong with fish but I also know they are used as decor in events that have gone swimmingly...har har har) So like, koi, peacocks, swans, etc.  I'm thinking more Central Jersey, too. No wedding date as of now! I am a huuge animal lover, I mean my dream wedding would have tigers and rabbits and snakes and just about every animal you can think of, which is why a zoo appeals to me but I want my guests to be able to breath easy and enjoy their food with no worries as well ; ) Sorry I only just now saw that there is a forum for Local boards. They don't let you delete these, huh?
    Posted by marycs[/QUOTE]

This is a horrible idea.  Having a wedding at a zoo is fine if that's what you want, but don't bring in animals as props or decor.    Talk to your local zoo and see if they can accomodate a wedding. Many can.    Using fish in decor is a HORRIBLE and inhumane decorating idea.  Do a search on these boards and you will see dozens of posts about why this is a bad bad bad idea.
  • A local zoo or aquarium would be best. We had our wedding at an aquarium. We didn't smell any fishie smell during the reception, though you could if you went during normal aquarium hours. Our guests weren't sure about our venue choice before the wedding, but LOVED it once they saw how it worked out. 
  • Ditto PP. If you love animals so much try looking at a zoo.  Wedding venues will not allow you to bring in animals because of liability and health code issues.  Also using fish in centerpieces is cruel.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • marycsmarycs member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    yeah with fish I was imagining like a koi pond or something that some fancy hotels have in their lobbies. Aquarium sounds amazing if I can find a good one. I think if the animals were sad or dead, it would not be so romantic so I'm not looking to hurt any little critters or go to a venue that does not take good care of their animals. Thanks!
  • It's not Central Jersey, but I would look into the Camden Adventure Aquarium and the Philadelphia Zoo, both of which I know host receptions and events there.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_nj-venues-for-animal-lovers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:359bbd60-777f-4b2e-8140-025d07400f80Post:747e7e5f-0917-4d34-8b34-c98dbfdd1e38">Re: NJ Venues for Animal Lovers</a>:
    [QUOTE]yeah with fish I was imagining like a koi pond or something that some fancy hotels have in their lobbies. Aquarium sounds amazing if I can find a good one. <strong>I think if the animals were sad or dead, it would not be so romantic</strong> so I'm not look ing to hurt any little critters or go to a venue that does not take good care of their animals. Thanks!
    Posted by marycs[/QUOTE]

Whether or not it's romantic, it's definitely cruel to put animals at risk by using them as a decoration.
  • BarbiiieeeBarbiiieee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I just keep thinking of like every other episode of Bridezillas where girls end up with dead fish in their centerpieces. Not only is it cruel, but it is pretty unappetizing. 

My FI and I have considered getting married at the Phoenix Zoo, and while obviously I know it is not local to you, it seems they do a lot of weddings and from talking with them they go something like this:

The wedding takes place after zoo hours. Your guests get free admission and can come at any point in time during the day to see the zoo. You can also add a post dinner zoo train tour. Anyway, you have your ceremony somewhere cool, generally overlooking some kind of exhibit, like the savannah with the giraffes and zebras. Cocktail hour is set up outside, and they can bring out a couple of the more docile animals for your guests to see at this time. They also let your guests do the giraffe feeding thing, or pet the stingray. They have a ballroom on site where you can have your reception inside, or they have a permanent tent like structure for receptions.  Lots of normal wedding, lots of animals for those guests who want to participate.

I think a zoo or aquarium is pretty much your only options, unless you rent a petting zoo... which really says like 8 year old birthday party to me. 

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards