Not Engaged Yet

Breast Milk Ice Cream

13»

Re: Breast Milk Ice Cream

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marley, I wasn't seeing it initially either and that is why I was caught offguard. I was just wondering if this was anyone else's reaction.

We were just talking about the ice cream. Although, since I think we can only donate fluids here I thought that might have tainted her view, so I thought it was worth mentioning.
  • edited December 2011
    FWIW, I actually found this discussion interesting, not offensive.

I try not to participate in political discussions since they can get so heated and people can get too personal. However, I thought this was a good topic to talk about personal issues without as much intensity as politics usually entails.

I enjoyed it, and I'm glad folks found me to be logical. That's not usually one of my strong points (I'm usually emotional and middle-of-the-road). While I might disagree with some of you girls on this, I feel like we had a decent discussion here. I like talking about things other than weddings and personal problems.
    Anniversary
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree Jeana, I found it a really great discussion. I wish it happened more often.
  • edited December 2011
    Marley, FWIW, I didn't find you particularly judgmental (just a little, as I focused on other posters with that part.)  I did read the EWW as disgust, and I believe I stated that earlier.  You didn't post enough for me to feel like you were being close-minded.  I don't believe that you ever said that you were grossed out by breastmilk or that you didn't get why a woman would give her breastmilk to make ice cream.  You never said those things.  Another poster did.

Hazel, in the US, people can be paid for their sperm, eggs, and even plasma.  Blood is a true donation without any compensation. 

I don't think that I see it as a factory.  I also don't see it as 'empowering.'  I just feel like a woman should be able to choose what she does with her body and what comes out of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like Desert and Narwhal said, I think it's the sexualization of breasts that make it seem weird to a lot of people. That's why I would find it weird personally. But that's a cultural bias, that is wrong so I can definitely see that changing (for me at least).

Breastmilk is for babies, I love the idea of breastfeeding if a woman can and wants to. I'm not sure I'd ever try it, because I'm happy with my skim milk, and I also have no interest in trying baby food right now. But I've known people that loved to eat baby food as a snack actually. It seemed odd at first, but I got used to them liking it and it doesn't seem that weird now. I imagine breastmilk would be a similar scenario.

Hazel, I was going to make that comment about blood donations too. Plasma is also donation only, no compensation. I have no idea about sperm or eggs.

I could imagine the factory idea becoming a problem but I don't see it that as being an inherent problem. I suppose after time we could become so consumed with the idea of humans having breastmilk that it could almost become a "factory" idea. Actually, it reminds me of a vampire movie I saw not too long ago that was horrible, but humans were dying out and the vampires were storing them in a factory and just using them for their blood. But realistically, I don't see that happening to us in the future with breastmilk at all. Also, you need to get rid of your breastmilk one way or another, so I see no problem with selling it or donating it.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My first instinct is also, "Uck, gross! I don't want to eat that!"  But I do agree with reassessing where our biases come from... I had a long conversation with some friends about why certain animals are viewed as acceptable for food while others are not.  It's a similar vein as the breast milk vs. cow milk conversation - logically, breast milk is made for humans, and our systems are made to digest it.  But yet it has an "eww" factor, quite possibly because of the sexualization of breats. 

What about meat - why some animals and not others?

Why cows but not horses?  Deer but not dogs?  Why is chicken and pig okay but not cats and pigeons?

Typically animals that people have domesticated become culturally unacceptable for food.  I found it interesting when I was in China how many Americans would be indignant that eating dogs and cats (which are definitely served in China - dog is an expensive delicacy and cat is a cheap alternative for lamb) was so wrong and cruel, while they were in the same breath complaining that they couldn't find a decent steak.  Why one animal and not the other?  My colleague is Indian and won't eat beef, and people tease her and ask, "Why not beef?  You eat chicken and pork!"  I think it's pretty similar with animals that are typically considered taboo here - there's no logical reason, just an instinct to avoid those items as food based on cultural norms.

Anniversary

• desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_breast-milk-ice-cream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7c3c447f-1bc0-4bbd-8dc0-f3a87a425a0dPost:84c9be36-dbd4-4e15-ac4d-a57a0a391d24">Re: Breast Milk Ice Cream</a>:
    [QUOTE]My first instinct is also, "Uck, gross! I don't want to eat that!"  But I do agree with reassessing where our biases come from... <strong>I had a long conversation with some friends about why certain animals are viewed as acceptable for food while others are not.</strong>  It's a similar vein as the breast milk vs. cow milk conversation - logically, breast milk is made for humans, and our systems are made to digest it.  But yet it has an "eww" factor, quite possibly because of the sexualization of breats.  What about meat - why some animals and not others? Why cows but not horses?  Deer but not dogs?  Why is chicken and pig okay but not cats and pigeons? Typically animals that people have domesticated become culturally unacceptable for food.  I found it interesting when I was in China how many Americans would be indignant that eating dogs and cats (which are definitely served in China - dog is an expensive delicacy and cat is a cheap alternative for lamb) was so wrong and cruel, while they were in the same breath complaining that they couldn't find a decent steak.  Why one animal and not the other?  My colleague is Indian and won't eat beef, and people tease her and ask, "Why not beef?  You eat chicken and pork!"  I think it's pretty similar with animals that are typically considered taboo here - there's no logical reason, just an instinct to avoid those items as food based on cultural norms.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's pretty much what my reasoning was when I became a vegetarian about 15 years ago. I don't want to eat my cat, so I'm not going to eat cows or chickens either. It's all animal flesh, and the idea of eating it is unappealing to me. But I firmly believe that others can eat what they want. I don't expect everyone to make the same choices about food that I do.</div><div>
    </div><div>I agree with Jeana that this was definitely an interesting discussion. I enjoyed hearing a variety of perspectives.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_breast-milk-ice-cream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7c3c447f-1bc0-4bbd-8dc0-f3a87a425a0dPost:84c9be36-dbd4-4e15-ac4d-a57a0a391d24">Re: Breast Milk Ice Cream</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about meat - why some animals and not others? Why cows but not horses?  Deer but not dogs?  Why is chicken and pig okay but not cats and pigeons?
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

This is actually a very large part of my decision not to eat meat.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Desert, omg... we're totally like twinsies! Innocent
    Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_breast-milk-ice-cream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7c3c447f-1bc0-4bbd-8dc0-f3a87a425a0dPost:76940e2a-57b3-4725-98f9-4d49f4d40f21">Re: Breast Milk Ice Cream</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breast Milk Ice Cream : This is actually a very large part of my decision not to eat meat.
    Posted by jeanacorina[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>GET OUT OF MY BRAIN! :P</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>

edited December 2011
    AHHHH! LMAO

• edited December 2011
    Oh, dear.... we vegetarians are all so much alike! >_<