Florida-South Florida
Options

WTF Friend! mini-vent

So a friend of mine brought her RSVP card to our Super Bowl party and told me that she "expected more" from the invitation, BUT since she knows we're paying for our own wedding, she understands that we decided to "cheap out" on invitations. W...T...F...

I'm trying REALLY hard not to be upset/insulted/offended. This particular friend is a bit younger than me and I think she's only been to one wedding in her life, and it was a family member. However, how do you say that to the bride??? Why don't you say that to your mom or someone else that's going? LOL, I'd much prefer her talking behind my back than to my face in this instance.

She's also coming over on Saturday night, along with some other girlfriends, for a DIY night. Getting favors together and making drink flags. She made a comment about that, too, something like, "I guess when you're trying to save money, you do this stuff yourself." Ummm... Doesn't EVERYONE put their own favor boxes together? Why would I hire someone to glue ribbon to a box?

Honestly, I don't quite know WHY I'm so offended... Like, what does it matter if she thinks our wedding is cheap? I'm really trying to bite my tongue and not mention that our wedding is costing more than her yearly salary, because I know there's no point to it...  I just want her to shut up...
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Wedding Website
image 143 Invited
image 110 Are ready to party!
image 31 Are party poopers!
image 0 Can't find the mailbox!

Re: WTF Friend! mini-vent

• Options
    ugh! Such a rude comment.

Honestly, who cares? Even if I was super rich, I think I would still DIY. That has been the most fun part of planning this whole thing and because we've made it all, it really screams "us"!

I would just say something along the lines of "money is not a problem, we're trying to make it special/personal...."
  • Options
    Ugh! That would piss me off! So sorry...
  • Options
    Wow, I'm annoyed FOR you!!! People are so rude. Sorry!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How childish and immature.

I like orianita3 comment. Next time she mades a snide comment I'd say when it's your time you'll understand
    *** TTC since 10/2010 (no planned bc since 2007) Me (31) Sept 2012 - DX Luteal Phase Defect. HSG 8/2012: both tubes are open, cervix and lining look good; hypothyroidism; DH (35) SA Normal Clomid 50mg, trigger
    10/2012 BFFN 1st cycle on clomid 50mg w/trigger shot, progesterone level 19.7, cd28 - hcg level 0.
    ***12/2012 Cycle #25 TTA break until March 2013***
    3T Jan2013 Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Winter image
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    OB/GYN=expertise in pregnancy/labor; RE=expertise in getting pregnant. (read this on someone's post, feel free to PM me to give you credit) I'm so glad I have a RE on my team. Consult a RE after 1 year under 35yo; 6 months 35yo+
  • Options
    I would've snapped at her. That is the Rudest thing someone could say. I can only imagine what she's gonna say to you at your wedding. I would flip out on her.

Honestly - depending on how close you are with her, I would ask her to not come over and help out. especially if she's going to be making rude comments the whole time.

Stand your ground if she says anything on saturday!
    *February Siggy*
    <3 Favorite Picture of me and my man <3 <br>Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I would be soo annoyed if someone did that - so rude - so immature and mean. I also enjoy doing some of the stuff myself, it makes it unique and sometimes you just can't find what you're picturing and you have to do it yourself. Im sorry :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh wow, that is so incredibly rude of your friend to say. She obviously never learned that if you don't have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. I would have been livid!! Sorry you have to be around that.. :(
  • Options
    WTF! That is so rude. I must say, you are much nicer than me. I don't think I would've been able to keep my mouth shut. 
    *So Fla Board February Siggy* My babe and I
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That was rude of her your much nicer than me I would've said if she felt that way she can feel free to foot the bill. Even a "cheap" wedding is never cheap. I plan on as much DIY as I can my goal is not to have take a loan for this wedding an as long as we budget accordingly we will & that mean sacrifing some things then so be it.
  • Options
    Uhh.. wow. 

I'd offended too- big time. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't say anything but if she opens her mouth again I'd give her one of those disapproving, "are you serious?!" looks.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Thanks, girls! I'm glad we're all on the same page. My FI thought I was taking things too personally, but it's my wedding - it's very personal!  I was also thinking about mentioning that she didn't need to attend on Saturday night, but I just don't want it to be an issue. I'm going to just keep smiling, and hope that she keeps her opinions to herself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    Oooooh i will sooo NOT invite her anymore!!!! But i will surely let her know of her lack of manners!!!!!!
    "True love is friendship caught on fire" someecards.com - Let's decide who we're inviting to our wedding and who will never speak to us again
  • Options
    You really need a good quick one liner to put her in her place. Your comment about the wedding costing more than her salary seems like the perfect thing to say. And tell her you do not need her help with the DIY things and that you are sick of her comments! I would have flipped on her!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    && dont worry about invites! Majority of brides budget and DIY invites b/c almost all the guest will throw it away anyways!
    "True love is friendship caught on fire" someecards.com - Let's decide who we're inviting to our wedding and who will never speak to us again
  • Options
    Wow that is super rude!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Um, sounds to me like your "friend" (and I use that term loosely here) is jealous that you're getting married.  And her way to get "even" is to make you feel bad.  I would confront her and ask her why she's being so rude and offensive.
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    ugh omg WOW that's ridiculous... some people just have no FILTER!!!!  lol

sorry you're dealing w/ that.... it's no fun... i would definitely tell her it's not about the money it's about making it personal and that's part of the FUN of planning your wedding!!!  DUH!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    ***February Challenge (South FL Board)*** Me & my FI imageOur Wedding Website: Updated September 18, 2011 155 Invited imageimage 129 Are coming to celebrate! image 26 We'll miss you! image 0 Slackers! RSVP Date: January 9, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OMG!!

JERK!  Kick her out and sit her by the kitchen at the wedding!  I would also tell her "well we loved the invites and realized anyone who criticized anything about our wedding isn't the type of person we want there anyway." 

JERK!  If I knew her better I would have a better one-liner! Like man we have gotten so much positive feedback from the invites. We only got one complaint, but it was expected since that person is "THAT" kind of girl.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards