South Asian Weddings

Guest attire help

I need to add something to my website about how guest should dress to my wedding.  For some guests, this will be their first Indian wedding.  I want everyone to dress very formal.  I want men to be in dark suits, but not necessarily tuxes, and all women should be in floor length gowns.  And obviously, any formal Indian attire is appropriate.  Would I write "black tie/Indian formal attire is requested" or "black tie optional/Indian formal attire is requested".

I guess my confusion is that black tie optional gives men the option of not wearing a tux and just a dark colored suit, which I'm fine with, but doesn't it also given women to wear short dresses (which I don' want)?

Re: Guest attire help

• rv224rv224 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Black tie optional / Indian formal

I think for most black tie optional still means gowns and long-length formal wear. You may still get some guest wearing shorter dresses (ie knee length cocktail dresses) but you can't control that.
  • edited December 2011
    Generally if you are asking women to wear floor-length gowns, men would be in tuxes.  But black tie optional should at least get the guys (who aren't wearing Indian clothes) on the right track.  But women probably won't necessarily wear long gowns, but will wear something more formal.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP with putting "Black tie optional / Indian formal".  This gets the point across for the girls to wear their more dressier dresses. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards